Colour 3d printing patent by Apple

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Patent 9,868,254 abstract in full:

Systems, computer readable media, and methods for printing of 3D objects in color are disclosed. In general, a 3D object may be produced and colored by a 3D printer using the same digital 3D model. The digital model for a desired 3D object may be revised to include a process for coloring the object by the 3D printer. In one embodiment, this may involve coloring to the object after it has been made. In an alternative embodiment, color may be added as the object is being made. Because the 3D model provides knowledge of the surface, contours and all the coordinates of the 3D object being printed, the object can be colored using the same digital model.

so anyone going to print multicolour better not be applying colour in the 3d file, lest you pay apple.

this is going to seriously delay the adoption of the 3ml format i think, given thats exactly what it does.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Patent 9,868,254 abstract in full:

Systems, computer readable media, and methods for printing of 3D objects in color are disclosed. In general, a 3D object may be produced and colored by a 3D printer using the same digital 3D model. The digital model for a desired 3D object may be revised to include a process for coloring the object by the 3D printer. In one embodiment, this may involve coloring to the object after it has been made. In an alternative embodiment, color may be added as the object is being made. Because the 3D model provides knowledge of the surface, contours and all the coordinates of the 3D object being printed, the object can be colored using the same digital model.

so anyone going to print multicolour better not be applying colour in the 3d file, lest you pay apple.

this is going to seriously delay the adoption of the 3ml format i think, given thats exactly what it does.
I think this is more patent trollery run amok. Dual extruders have been around for so long that they don't have a chance. But they'll make some lawyers rich.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
BLAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Yeah that's exactly, and all, that patent claim deserves.
Perfect opportunity for one of my favorite quotes by a software developer:
"They are smoking crack" -Linus Torvalds