Coe-soft for hard relines?

L

lobstermobster

Reaction score
Hey guys, dentist here, I've had some mixed results w/ using just PVS light or medium body for hard relines lately. I've read about dentists trying to do relines w/ more of a "functional impression." I have coe-soft in the office. If I lined the patient's denture with a new application of coe-soft, let them wear it for a day or two and then sent in the denture to the lab, do you think this might give better results than just your standard PVS impression? If not, any other tips for better results? Thank you!

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Functional relines fit better. Coe-soft only molds for a few hours but it's better than a static impression.

The best material is Hydrocast, but it has been discontinued.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Functional relines fit better. Coe-soft only molds for a few hours but it's better than a static impression.

I wish Clark would have sold Sultan to any other company than Dentsply. Hydrocast would still be available. We've had Drs try other materials and nothing compares to it.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score

I've had a couple clients over the years do a functional with Hydrocast. A lot of times I pour up the cast, and the texture is like orange peel, or ceiling texture from all the micro-bubbles. Its a moot point now, but do you know why or how??

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I've had a couple clients over the years do a functional with Hydrocast. A lot of times I pour up the cast, and the texture is like orange peel, or ceiling texture from all the micro-bubbles. Its a moot point now, but do you know why or how??
Dr Turbyfill said if you had bubbles, the occlusion was off and needed to be equilibrated. It could also have been that it wasn't mixed properly or they didn't let the pt wear it long enough.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Dr Turbyfill said if you had bubbles, the occlusion was off and needed to be equilibrated. It could also have been that it wasn't mixed properly or they didn't let the pt wear it long enough.
prob a couple other variables too lol

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I always thought it was mastication or under filling. I think the science behind it is sound, but the material doesn't exactly cooperate.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I always thought it was mastication or under filling. I think the science behind it is sound, but the material doesn't exactly cooperate.
When hydrocast was used correctly you wound up with beautiful impressions and the denture FIT!

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Appears doctors have problems with functional impressions just as much as conventional impressions.
The doctors who took and paid attention during Jack Turbyfill's course and Earl Pound's before him turned out some great dentures with hydrocast. It's too bad that Dentsply didn't sell it to someone else.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Drs. in the know take a final micro seal wash over the hydrocast to prevent the orange peal surface.

What do you call the person who graduates last in their dental class?
Dr.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Easy answer. Material needs to be SUPER SPATULATED and mixed well by Dr. office before being placed in denture. Any voids in material will fill with saliva during wear time. and will leech out into your model when poured.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Appears doctors have problems with functional impressions just as much as conventional impressions.
8 out of 10 Dr's. aren't even taking the impressions lol

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
In Florida its illegal for assistants to take final impressions. Not in other places?
Correct.... it is unlawful.....but the dental boards aren't going to inspect or enforce. And most dentists only care about production. It's all about money, and what they get away with.

Speeding is illegal, but it only matters when you get a ticket. If you don't have police, no tickets.
No tickets, Its ok to speed.

But they are short sighted. Whenever a patient decides to sue them, they better just get out the settlement check. It's so easy for an attorney to prove a case.

"Who took the impression?" ❌❌❌
"Dr, were you aware in your state..."❌❌❌
"Are you aware direct supervision is not 5 rooms away checking a hygiene patient?"❌❌❌
"Did you fill out this RX or WA, as prescribed by State Law, before you applied your signature and license number?"❌❌❌

Judgment for the Plaintiff

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
In Florida its illegal for assistants to take final impressions. Not in other places?
Tennessee has a special Expanded Function certification an assistant can obtain. Then they're allowed to take final impressions lawfully.

*Under Direct Supervision

* Direct Supervision means the continuous presence of a supervising dentist within the physical confines of the dental office when licensed and registered dental hygienists or registered dental assistants perform lawfully assigned duties and functions

Most states follow a uniform statute guideline to create uniformity. Similar but not identical.

Last edited: