ClearSPLINT problems, suggestions?

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
So recently I've been having issues with this material, bubbles after bubbles. I've contacted astron and I've tried everything the techs have said to do but still having issues.

Pour technique.

This are the the steps I take,
1.Pre soak waxed model for 15 minutes
2.Flask in hydrocollaid for 50minutes
3.Boil wax off and paint with separator immediately
4.Wait 30minutes for model to cool to room temperature
5.place model back in mold
6. Remove material from fridge
7. Mix material (liquid first and then powder) (mixing in cutting motion and a few circle motions) slowly,
8. Place in pressure pot 125-127* 20psi for 45 minutes
* I also allow material to bench set for 5 minutes before putting in pot , per astron tech*

I'm kinda lost, every other case comes out okay. Never had this issue before until the last couple of months. At first I thought it was because summer has started and the temperature of the place is warmer , but the material is in the fridge.

Bad batch maybe? I'd love some input from you guys .

KTR

KTR

Reaction score
Pour Clear splint into the mold ( some on both sides ),wait until they are thick, thick and then press together and clamp. Wait until both sides are tacky.

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
Pour Clear splint into the mold ( some on both sides ),wait until they are thick, thick and then press together and clamp.

I'm using hydrocolloid . I'm not press packing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So recently I've been having issues with this material, bubbles after bubbles. I've contacted astron and I've tried everything the techs have said to do but still having issues.

Pour technique.

This are the the steps I take,
1.Pre soak waxed model for 15 minutes
2.Flask in hydrocollaid for 50minutes
3.Boil wax off and paint with separator immediately
4.Wait 30minutes for model to cool to room temperature
5.place model back in mold
6. Remove material from fridge
7. Mix material (liquid first and then powder) (mixing in cutting motion and a few circle motions) slowly,
8. Place in pressure pot 125-127* 20psi for 45 minutes
* I also allow material to bench set for 5 minutes before putting in pot , per astron tech*

I'm kinda lost, every other case comes out okay. Never had this issue before until the last couple of months. At first I thought it was because summer has started and the temperature of the place is warmer , but the material is in the fridge.

Bad batch maybe? I'd love some input from you guys .

Hey! How y'been!
Are there bubbles in the acrylic mix before or while pouring? Do you see them in the stream as you pour I guess would be the best way to put it.

That at least will tell you whether they form in mixing or after pouring.

Edit: Did this just start when you started using a new batch and this batch always does this?

oh and are the bubbles throughout the material, or only on the surface, and are the kinda evenly distributed or primarily on the model or hydrocolloid side?

Last edited:
Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
Hey! How y'been!
Are there bubbles in the acrylic mix before or while pouring? Do you see them in the stream as you pour I guess would be the best way to put it.

That at least will tell you whether they form in mixing or after pouring.

Good , I'll messege you in a bit .

But no bubbles in the stream. After pouring it's happening, slow steady stream

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
This is probably not the answer but gonna throw it out there.

We mix our acrylic in glass mixing jars and when done we fill them with water for easier cleaning the next time. We had a problem one time where a tech wasn't thoroughly drying the jars before adding monomer/acrylic so water was getting in the mix and it would cause bubbles.

If you do anything similar may be something to check.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

We mix our acrylic in glass mixing jars and when done we fill them with water for easier cleaning the next time. We had a problem one time where a tech wasn't thoroughly drying the jars before adding monomer/acrylic so water was getting in the mix and it would cause bubbles.

I love the dollar tree shot glasses for this! 3 for $1. Holds enough to reline perfectly.

I like 8oz jelly canning jars for larger needs and they already have a lid for benchset time prior to packing.

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score

I use clear plastic water cups . New every time

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Good , I'll messege you in a bit .

But no bubbles in the stream. After pouring it's happening, slow steady stream

I'm wondering since you are putting the model back then doing mix and benchset if the model isn't releasing airbubbles as it soaks up pressure pot water.

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
I'm bench setting before placing inside pot

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm bench setting before placing inside pot

Exactly. What I'm failing to say properly is during the time you're benchsetting, the model is drying. Don't know, but it may be drying out just enough to be releasing air bubbles during the underwater pressure pot time after you pour.

Did that get out of my head better?

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Too much separator. I used to get those bubbles too. A little DVA separator before waxing. That's it. Pretty sure AJ will tell you the same thing.

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
I do blob it on right after boil out

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Put separator on before wax up. You won't need to boil out. Wax peels off. Then steam off anything that's left. Keep the model soaking while your cutting the sprue holes in the hydrocolloid and keep your liquid in the refrigerator if you have one in the lab.

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
Blow dry model right before inserting right ?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Blow dry model right before inserting right ?

Blow off the surface water completely, but not to the point of color changing dry. You just want no water between the acrylic and the separator.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
The way we do it consistently without any bubbles is;
1. Soak waxed models with wax walls for 10min
2. Generously apply separator to the model, then blow it all off inspecting there is no more separator on the model
3. Mix 2:1 Ratio of powder and liquid, slowly mixing in disposable cup
4. Start pouring slowly from the posterior (Start from one side) and let the clear splint flow from one side to the other, never follow the mixture in the arch keep pouring from the back of the splint
5. finish as needed if doing hard acrylic surface or what not
6. Put into Pressure pot for 40min
7. Take out and remove wax.

I have never done it the hydrocollide way but this is how we do it and we done have bubbles, so hopefully it might help in some way!

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much. For all the input. I've tried @nvarras what you've said to try and it worked!!!! I'm so stoked!!!!!!! Processed 5 this morning and all 5 came out perfect . Thanks so much .

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Glad it helped.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I mix all of my powders and monomers on vibrator, Gets the bubbles out nicely for me and I know its incorporated well.