Clasp partial to fit a crown

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I ask my Dr.'s doing these type of cases to take a PVS imp of the tooth to be prepped before prepping. Then I morph to that pre-op in Exocad and never had an issue ever. That of course depends on the tooth in question is not broken down too much. Sometimes I just polish these crowns to not cause fitting issues by glazing. ( select 1 shade lighter if polishing only)
I like this idea using impression...thanks for sharing.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Some of the postings require the partial to be sent to the lab, while I would prefer that the patient keeps the partial to minimize rush cases

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Since you folks seem to still enjoy licking your porcelain brushes,
Why not have the dentist take an alginate with the partial in place at 10 to 5 on a Friday and ask for the denture returned asap because the pt , a retired professor from Hemp U, needs it back for the 9pm peaceful protest outside your lab ?

you're welcome. stay safe and wear your mask while driving .

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Some of the postings require the partial to be sent to the lab, while I would prefer that the patient keep the partial and minimizes rush cases
Using the technique I mentioned, I never even see the partial at the lab. Just scan pre-op and morph to it during your design sequence. If you enter a pre-op scan in your order, choice to morph to pre-op option will come up. Click and done, do some touch-ups in marginal areas to clean up, take care not to alter retention areas on buccal. Would be nice for you to also receive a model with the partial in place so you can determine areas to avoid changing and also areas you may choose to enhance while not involving partial fitting areas, like re-building a cusp etc.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
A few ways to do it digitally, but what we have found the best way is have the Doc make two extra scans...have them scan the partial by itself and scan the partial in place around the prep (after it's been prepped) while the partial is fully seated. They won't be able to capture everything in the partial prep scan and that is where you have just the partial scan. Then let all that snap align together in exocad. I hope other folks read this and would love to hear there workflow as well.
This is the easiest way as long as they get decent scans of the clasps. I have them scan the prep, opposing, partial in place over the prep and a separate scan of the partial in their hand, occlusal and basal sides. I have them make sure the partial scan represents reality after post processing because some IO scanners automatically fill in data voids. It doesn't hurt to introduce them to Snow Scan powder for the partial scans. Clasp tips and rest sests render great detail.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
This is the easiest way as long as they get decent scans of the clasps. I have them scan the prep, opposing, partial in place over the prep and a separate scan of the partial in their hand, occlusal and basal sides. I have them make sure the partial scan represents reality after post processing because some IO scanners automatically fill in data voids. It doesn't hurt to introduce them to Snow Scan powder for the partial scans. Clasp tips and rest sests render great detail.
What is this snow scan powder?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Can it be used clinically, intraorally?
It's not approved for IO use, but to scan a partial in their hand is not IO.
A doctor may be able to use it "off-label" for IO scanning? Not sure if off-label works here with the FDA.
It is titanium dioxide which is used in lots of food products and in a lot of other things. It's probably already
in a patient's mouth when they arrive for their appointment.

Titanium Dioxide

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It's the white in powedered sugar donuts. Because of this, and other properties of the TiO2 you can make solar panels with donut dust. Really.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
It's the white in powedered sugar donuts. Because of this, and other properties of the TiO2 you can make solar panels with donut dust. Really.
Screenshot_20201003-143207_Chrome.jpg

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Tio2 could be toxic if inhaled

Top Bottom