Chrome cobalt Pfm vs Rpd

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Anyone knows what is the diferrent between chrome cobalt Pfm and Rpd? Because chrome cobalt for PFM is very expensive and really hard to find in my country.
I have ever made some Pfm that the coping made from cobalt chrome Rpd. But eveything is fine
Does anyone have similar experience ?

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Anyone knows what is the diferrent between chrome cobalt Pfm and Rpd? Because chrome cobalt for PFM is very expensive and really hard to find in my country.
I have ever made some Pfm that the coping made from cobalt chrome Rpd. But eveything is fine
Up

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

The alloy for Rpd is chrome cobalt.
the alloy forPfm is cobalt chrome. It has about60% cobalt.
I don’t believe they are the same and you will not have success.
Maybe just use a good NP alloy.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Where are you located, if I may ask? Independently, as mentioned by PS2thtec, get a Non Precious (NP) alloy for PFMs, for your porcelain work. You may be able to get away with using metal meant for RPDs, but chances are it will chip in the long run.
NP alloys for PFMs are usually inexpensive and I don't think the alloy for RPDs is much cheaper. But I guess it depends on the region where you are from.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Where are you located, if I may ask? Independently, as mentioned by PS2thtec, get a Non Precious (NP) alloy for PFMs, for your porcelain work. You may be able to get away with using metal meant for RPDs, but chances are it will chip in the long run.
NP alloys for PFMs are usually inexpensive and I don't think the alloy for RPDs is much cheaper. But I guess it depends on the region where you are from.
Here is the problem
Im from indonesia
I mainly use Nickel chrome for pfm, but i use cobalt chrome for some cases like maryland bridge and telescopic denture (which the secondary coping and denture base are casted together)
In my country price for
Co cr for pfm is 1000usd for 1 kg
But co cr for rpd is 250 usd for 1 kg
Im wondering what is the diferrence between co cr for pfm and co cr for rpd.. because i have ever made pfm for Rpd's co cr and everything is fine.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I do not think you can stack porcelain on chrome cobalt coping? I might be wrong but I have never heard of it before.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
Do your Math, an average RPD frame would weigh more than 4 times that of an average PFM coping I would have thought. So you are still probably ahead . Or you could just charge an alloy fee on NP PFM .
you will use way more alloy casting RPD than PFM over 4 times easily