Checking Sinter Oven temps

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive been using Orton Ceramics Temptabs, both a 650 and a 700. Fire, measure and average the two.
My Mihm Vogt is showing a substantial amount of error. I just reached out to Ferro to inquire about their PTCR rings. Is anyone using any of these? Are they consistent with the Orton products?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I use the rings and a micrometer to measure . Each box comes with a key. After a sintering cycle measure the ring when it cools to room temperature.
Match your measurement to the key and it will determine the high temperature within a few degrees C or F.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I use the rings and a micrometer to measure . Each box comes with a key. After a sintering cycle measure the ring when it cools to room temperature.
Match your measurement to the key and it will determine the high temperature within a few degrees C or F.

I just heard back from Ferro, the HTH ring mfrg. They think their product is more accurate than the TempTabs Ive been using, and their available through Orton Ceramics, so Ill give them a shout.
PM me if youd rather, but Im curious what oven youre using, and how accurate to you feel it is?

Feel it is. Funny. How accurate do you find it to be is better.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
This is the response from Orton:

The TempTAB product is better for several reasons.

1. The heating rate used to establish the temperature data is 5°C/hr for TempTAB, where the PTCR rate is 2°C/hr. Dental ovens fire between 5-10°C/hr on heating. The TempTAB match that rate better.
  2. TempTAB has several data columns for whatever hold time you use from 10 minutes up to 4 hours. The PTCR charts are only good for a 1 hour hold. We typically see Zirconia held for 2 hours.
  3. The TempTAB are made from high purity Alumina Oxide, 99.8% Al2O3. The Alumina used in PTCR contain some silica which can vaporize and deposit on the Molybdenum Disilicide Heating elements.
  4. The TempTAB 700 work best for 1550°C. The maximum temperature for the TempTAB 650 is 1520°C.
Ill continue to study. First is to try a new batch of Tabs.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I've been using B & D dental. they are the same Ferro rings.

Top Bottom