Cheapest dental milling machine

M

memortop

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to ask what in the market now is the least expensive open dental milling machine capable of milling of zirconium and titanium materials? (crown and bridges)

Thanks for the help
:)

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Cheapest dental milling machine = cheap parts and more break downs! I would look at wieland or origin table top versions!

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Probably a used Kavo. Check the classified *** was selling one or I know they pop up on eBay here and there.

K

kmgold1234

www.dess-usa.com
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to ask what in the market now is the least expensive open dental milling machine capable of milling of zirconium and titanium materials? (crown and bridges)

Thanks for the help
:)

Stay away from Kavo due to lack of support, dongle fee's, high price of parts.
Milling out titanium is not easy and you dont want to mix and match titanium with zirconia. Two very different systems and very problematic.
I had a conversation with Cameron Karpowitz in December 2011 about this - they have been making screw machines for 20+ years and zirconia dental milling machines for about 6 and they won't touch titanium.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
More Everest Bashing

Stay away from Kavo due to lack of support, dongle fee's, high price of parts.
Milling out titanium is not easy and you dont want to mix and match titanium with zirconia. Two very different systems and very problematic.
I had a conversation with Cameron Karpowitz in December 2011 about this - they have been making screw machines for 20+ years and zirconia dental milling machines for about 6 and they won't touch titanium.

Please stop bashing the Everest system :(, as it is very good at milling both Zirconium and Titanium, and another 9 materials with there own milling strategy. The Everest was developed over 12 years ago and is still being sold and is still a very good system. just because one manufacturer finds milling both Ti and Zr problematic and wont touch Titanium does not mean it can not be done. If you can get hold of a second hand cheap unit from Scott *** for $20k and get KaVo to calibrate it for $2k then you are going to have one hell of a good system, and if it is running on the pre energy software then it will be fully open. We mill Ti and Zr all day long for over 6 years and have never had any contamination issues, WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW THEY CAN CONTAMINATE EACH OTHER lol. As I have said before KaVo will give you FREE remote maintenance on your system and if you make friends with Scott then he will keep it running for a fraction of the price of KaVo parts. And it does not have a Dongle fee?????????? Not sure were you got your info from but its all wrong. Go bash another system.

By the way KaVo was one of the first companies to get full FDA approval for the whole Dental Everest milling system, thats scanner, engine and sintering furnace, Have all of the current Dental milling systems bothered to go that extra mile? I think not!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I stick with quality, Industrial machines built to last.

KaVo and Lava mills fall into in that catagory.

Good stuff. Easy to work on and upgrade and keep running for years and years....

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Roland DGA offers 2 mills for the dental market: The DWX-30 is a 4 axis unit for wax and zirconia. The DWX-50 is a 5 axis unit with automatic tool changer and support for wax, zirconia and PMMA. They are sold through local resellers around the US and around the world. In the US the prices are $19,995 (DWX-30) and $29,995 (DWX-50).
You can learn more about the products at the company website or feel free to send me a message.

M

Markus Menig

Reaction score
With interest I have been following the questions regarding mills that can machine Titanium and Chrome Cobalt.
We are the reseller of the WABECO machines in the USA and Canada....Originally not related with dental!
About 8 month ago the owner of the largest, world famous lab in Berlin ("http://www.thomas-paul-zahntechnik.de") contacted us and asked us "Why don't you make a lower cost dental model that can machine TITANIUM and Chrome Cobalt" (he is also a consultant with DATRON).
Anyway, at this point we have a "dental version" (with the help of a large dental lab) that can mill any dental fixture out of Titanium and Chrome Cobalt. 40% of the mill is made in Germany 60% by MDA Precision in the USA.
Our mill is very precise and very rigid.

M. Menig
MDA Precision

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
With interest I have been following the questions regarding mills that can machine Titanium and Chrome Cobalt.
We are the reseller of the WABECO machines in the USA and Canada....Originally not related with dental!
About 8 month ago the owner of the largest, world famous lab in Berlin ("http://www.thomas-paul-zahntechnik.de") contacted us and asked us "Why don't you make a lower cost dental model that can machine TITANIUM and Chrome Cobalt" (he is also a consultant with DATRON).
Anyway, at this point we have a "dental version" (with the help of a large dental lab) that can mill any dental fixture out of Titanium and Chrome Cobalt. 40% of the mill is made in Germany 60% by MDA Precision in the USA.

M. Menig
MDA Precision

Is there a URL that we can see the dental machine ? At the WABECO website I couldn't find it . Tell us a little more about your machine .

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Glen, tell me about the tool-holder in your larger MDX 540 mill.

What taper/size is it please? Spindle options?

Thank you.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

Taper shank: JBS4002 15T 7/24 taper. Pull stud: JBS4002 15P

I found this....what is it? Never heard of this system?Where does one go out and find collets and stuff?

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score

Taper shank: JBS4002 15T 7/24 taper. Pull stud: JBS4002 15P

I found this....what is it? Never heard of this system?Where does one go out and find collets and stuff?

Hi Scot,

There are 4 versions of the 540. Base (MDX-540),Base + High Precision Ball Screws (MDX-540S),Base + Automatic Tool Changer (MDX-540A),and the works (MDX-540SA). The S models have an ultra smooth surface finish and higher repeat accuracy than the standard models. The rotary 4th axis is an option on all of the 540 mills.

You can buy collets and tool holders from Roland dealers or our online store. The ATC models use different collets than the non-ATC models.

ATC collets: (part numbers and sizes)
US-COL7-1/8 (1/8” flex collet for MDX-540A & MDX-540SA)
US-COL7-5 (3/16” flex collet for MDX-540A & MDX-540SA)
US-COL7-1/4 (1/4” flex collet for MDX-540A & MDX-540SA)
US-COL7-3 (2.5 – 3.0mm flex collet for MDX-540A & MDX-540SA)
US-COL7-6 (5.0 – 6.0mm flex collet for MDX-540A & MDX-540SA)

Non-ATC collets:
US-EY16-3.5A (1/8” flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)
US-EY16-5A (3/16” flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)
US-EY16-7A (1/4” flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)
US-EY16-10A (3/8” flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)
US-EY16-3.5A (3.0 - 3.5mm flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)
US-EY16-5A (4.0 - 5.0mm flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)
US-EY16-7A (6.0 - 7.0mm flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)
US-EY16-8A (7.0 - 8.0mm flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)
US-EY16-10A (9.0 - 10.0mm flex collet for MDX-540 & MDX-540S)

4 tool holders come with the 540A and 540SA models. You can also buy them from our online store.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That's the mill you should be pushing to the Dental World.

The one with the ball-screws and ATC.

Forget the other one with belt-drive axis like a paper printer and foosball rods for rails.

Does the 540 still use the foosball rod rail system?

If not, then when do we expect a real CNC rail to be in place in that mill?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

M. Menig
MDA Precision

Nice to speak with you today. (Dude is Swiss and smart)
This mill(s) is pretty bad-ass! I think I found a Roland killer.

Just needs a few bells and whistles and some color and a name.

Premium componants, very heavy and strong frame. High quality spindles.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
That's the mill you should be pushing to the Dental World.

The one with the ball-screws and ATC.

Forget the other one with belt-drive axis like a paper printer and foosball rods for rails.

Does the 540 still use the foosball rod rail system?

If not, then when do we expect a real CNC rail to be in place in that mill?

Scot,

You have been bashing the DWX-50 for over a year now. Everyone that has one is very happy with it. In fact, they are starting to buy their second and third units. It's all about return on investment Scot. Have a nice weekend.

-Glenn

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Great to hear.

Must be magic.

You certianly must understand my points.

They are all very valid.

99% of CNC mills on the market are not like that mill for a reason.

They have cast frame or better, real rails, ball-screws, linear encoders along the ridig frame, PLC computer dedicated to the mill, not a home-style PC..etc etc....

Last edited:
Top Bottom