Changs Liquid and Katana zirconia

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Hello!

So I have used Changs liquids white opaque inside katana stml and the crowns are every time more or less deformed. Margins are over the preparation, thin walls away from the die etc. Is the problem with the amount of liquid that is used or does is simply not work with katana? Is there some other liquid that is known to work that masks the black/metal die?

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Yup. Youre using way too much. I put a drop of the opake on a pallet, just barely touch the tip of a small brush in some blue food coloring and mix it together so the opake has a slight blue tint. Then dab the brush off on my thumb before applying to the Zr. I want to barely do enough to transfer the blue in a thin even coverage. Youre brush should be almost dry.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Does it matter what color of food color to use?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Curious as to why you are doing this, adding the white opaque. Are you finding the crowns low in value, to translucent , etc ?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Masking dead roots and metal post and core.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
Curious as to why you are doing this, adding the white opaque. Are you finding the crowns low in value, to translucent , etc ?
The Ultra translucent zirconia will turn really grey if a dark stump or titanium is below it. I us the new HT+ now instead of the Ultra with opaque to get around some of the darkening.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
how about red color?

Tended to fade out to much, better contrast with the blue.

When I'm dipping, my base shade colors are tinted with red, so by the time I let them dry for awhile, the blue shows up better in that regard.

If your using the small amount of color user name mentioned, no worries about food coloring. But since I'm really coloring my base shades,
I use Zenostar Visualizr, as that stuff is supposed to be totally safe, and is pretty intense, esp the blue.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The Ultra translucent zirconia will turn really grey if a dark stump or titanium is below it. I us the new HT+ now instead of the Ultra with opaque to get around some of the darkening.

With opaque, what do you mean by that? Is the HT+ more opaque, and blocks out better?

Z

ztech

Reaction score
The HT+ has translucency closer to Emax Lt ingots. I use that with Ti bases and the darker stump shades. If it's really thin I use a small amount of the chang's white to mask. Even then I mix the white with the body shade to hold down the brightness but add more opacity.

user name

user name

Reaction score
The HT+ has translucency closer to Emax Lt ingots. I use that with Ti bases and the darker stump shades. If it's really thin I use a small amount of the chang's white to mask. Even then I mix the white with the body shade to hold down the brightness but add more opacity.
NEVER mix the white opake with any of the other colors. Its not a 'color'. The end result is a white effect, but its not a stain. Its a strong alkaine. The reason it opacifies, and as you've found out with incorrect usage distorts the Zr, is because it changes the structure of the Zr.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
20180131_112935.jpg

Ph strips courtesy of @JMN. Strip on left is Changs C-1, about Ph 5...slightly acid.

Strip on right is white opake, alkaline 14.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I spilled some white on my hand once.
image_17.jpg

Z

ztech

Reaction score
NEVER mix the white opake with any of the other colors. Its not a 'color'. The end result is a white effect, but its not a stain. Its a strong alkaine. The reason it opacifies, and as you've found out with incorrect usage distorts the Zr, is because it changes the structure of the Zr.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I appreciate the warning but it works for what I'm doing with it. Although I have only done 15-20 that way, no distortion yet. I do use a 14 hour sinter though.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I appreciate the warning but it works for what I'm doing with it. Although I have only done 15-20 that way, no distortion yet. I do use a 14 hour sinter though.
It changes the structure of the Zr; the result is opacity. They warn to use it very sparingly so the change only happens on the surface. There are unintended consequences if rules aren't followed. As long as you know youre decreasing the strength of your crowns, blaze on.

Wait...'no distortion yet'?

Arent you the guy that started this thread because you were getting distortion?:confused:

Top Bottom