Changing the spindle on a Zenotec Mini

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Been running the mill for 5+ yrs now and am starting to notice a few small problems I think are spindle-related. Anyway, it's about time I changed it . I've seen a place in LA where they rebuild including the sensors . Switching the part out looks pretty straightforward. I have seen people talking about the recalibration process once the rebuilt one has been installed. My question is ,,,,,,,, Is this a regular Calibration or some special software only Ivoclar has ? I've had the mill since new and love the simplicity of the cam. It has never given me a problem and would love to keep it going as my backup for a few more years . Any advice on anyone who has done this would be appreciated.
zenotec-mini-Image-676195EU-3.jpg

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
I have nothing to add other than I love the zentotec cam software. I miss it for cranking out single units. Millbox is painfully slow in comparison.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I have nothing to add other than I love the zentotec cam software. I miss it for cranking out single units. Millbox is painfully slow in comparison.
Right !!!Beer,,,,,, that's why I really want to keep this going .

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Same here. I'll be curious to find out, as I'm at about the same timeline as with you regarding my Mini.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
That sounds like a dealer recalibrate. I know my vhf needs a metal touchplate to recalibrate the axis, something only the dealer has, not to mention hidden menus to enable axis calibration, which ive done, but can be scary if you do something wrong...
Getting it out is probably not that difficult, having it out and then having to fly in a tech to calibrate it, thats another $tory.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
That sounds like a dealer recalibrate. I know my vhf needs a metal touchplate to recalibrate the axis, something only the dealer has, not to mention hidden menus to enable axis calibration, which ive done, but can be scary if you do something wrong...
Getting it out is probably not that difficult, having it out and then having to fly in a tech to calibrate it, thats another $tory.
That's what I was afraid of :oops: . I have started a ticket through Ivoclar to see what they say . I am also going to talk to the guys who do the rebuilds and see what they say . A few years ago I was replacing the rubber tool holders (you have to have tech access to redrill them) Anyway Scott over there at Ivoclar was very cool and unlocked that feature for me.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If Paul still works there, he's another good one as far as mill support.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
An update (for Car54) Yes Paul is still there and is an incredibly helpful guy. I have decided not to go with a rebuilt spindle which was going to be around $1800 and get a new one from Ivoclar $2700. This morning I removed the door and pistons & the backplate to give me access to the spindle .If you need help Paul will talk you through any of this stuff . I did buy the mill from them many years ago but what absolutely blows me away is that they still help me out with any problems . I never hear 'Oh it's no longer covered so there will be a charge for any help !' WELL DONE IVOCLAR. When I've installed the new spindle Paul will help me through all the calibration. Anyway I can't say enough about their level of service long long after they sold me the machine. The next mill I buy will be from them again.

Attachments

• spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 37
Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Here are some better quality photos , this machine was so clean inside when I opened it up , VHF really build quality

Attachments

• C61F2A60-4B43-4097-808F-A2D788169EAF.jpeg
    C61F2A60-4B43-4097-808F-A2D788169EAF.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 0BE48F82-3A10-431E-96C9-3CEC4EDB80C3.jpeg
    0BE48F82-3A10-431E-96C9-3CEC4EDB80C3.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2AF95ECD-0785-483A-ADB1-132E9199FB48.jpeg
    2AF95ECD-0785-483A-ADB1-132E9199FB48.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 29
Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I calibrate my machine ( if needed) and even drill the rubber bur holders with the mill software If I need to replace to new ones, vhf mills are top notch

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
An update (for Car54) Yes Paul is still there and is an incredibly helpful guy. I have decided not to go with a rebuilt spindle which was going to be around $1800 and get a new one from Ivoclar $2700. This morning I removed the door and pistons & the backplate to give me access to the spindle .If you need help Paul will talk you through any of this stuff . I did buy the mill from them many years ago but what absolutely blows me away is that they still help me out with any problems . I never hear 'Oh it's no longer covered so there will be a charge for any help !' WELL DONE IVOCLAR. When I've installed the new spindle Paul will help me through all the calibration. Anyway I can't say enough about their level of service long long after they sold me the machine. The next mill I buy will be from them again.

This is good news, and confirms my decision in buying my Dry Mill from them; VHF quality and Ivoclar support.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
But I noticed that friction from dry milling and movement of air vacuum and compressed generate static electricity which causes milled particles to stick to everything it touch regardless of good suction. From my understanding new and advanced 5axis VHF mills has some feathers to eliminate static electricity by ionizing
I am trying to read more on eliminating or minimize static electricity on my current VHF mill if I can.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I get a bit of that, too. A new or cleaned suction filter does help with the dust, though.
Do you notice if it is more of a problem during this time of year, when the furnaces are on and the air is drier? I run a humidifier to get some moisture back into the air. Even my wax jumps off the electric waxer tip onto the dies when I'm waxing, if I don't put some moisture back into the air.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
This is what Bob was able to do with his set up in regards to lack of milling debris after milling 5 - 6 crowns.
Without an ionizer, milling PMMA is going to be a more of mess to clean up. But maybe the bigger chambers of some mills like the K5, K5+
etc, can be a bit harder to keep clean anyway, as I'm finding compared to the Mini.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You didnt have to do an axis calibration after install? Or can you do it just on the touchplate sensor?

N

nucleozirconiumxola

Reaction score
Una actualización (para Car54) Sí, Paul todavía está allí y es un tipo increíblemente útil. Decidí no ir con un husillo reconstruido que costaría alrededor de $ 1800 y obtener uno nuevo de Ivoclar $ 2700. Esta mañana quité la puerta, los pistones y la placa posterior para tener acceso al husillo. Si necesita ayuda, Paul lo guiará sobre cualquiera de estas cosas. Les compré el molino hace muchos años, pero lo que me sorprende absolutamente es que todavía me ayudan con cualquier problema. Nunca escucho '¡Oh, ya no está cubierto, por lo que habrá un cargo por cualquier ayuda!' BIEN HECHO IVOCLAR. Cuando haya instalado el nuevo husillo, Paul me ayudará con toda la calibración. De todos modos, no puedo decir lo suficiente sobre su nivel de servicio mucho tiempo después de que me vendieran la máquina. El próximo molino que compre será de ellos nuevamente.
Podrias describir un poco a cerca de las fallas?,mismo caso tengo yo ,tengo un equipo con 5 años de uso ,ahora no quiere desprender la fresa o en ocasiones no la quiere tomar ya cambie el chuck desprendible pero sigue con el problema