Change the screw access hole orientation, 3Shape

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I've never done a screw retained implant crown, but I am now being asked to do those.
I'm just trying it out on an old abutment on a different old model with an analog in it
So I watched a video, but where am I missing the option where you can change the angle rotation.
I can change up and down, left and right, the width, but can't change the angle.
I need it to be more in line with the long access of the implant hole.

Do I need to base out the access hole with scan wax 1/2 way down so 3Shape doesn't show a blank area and it throws it off?
TIA

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Under "Default Orientation" you have different options. I am not sure which one to choose, but if you choose 'View Direction', like you did, you are limited to your original choice. I think you also have to pull the 'hole' through the 'bottom'...
I am sure you will get more precise answers, but this will help you to start. ;-)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, Contraluz :) I'm still playing around. I tried pulling through, elongating it through the bottom, but I'm still not getting a rotation option.
I tried insertion direction, but the tube disperses and shows the hole in the crown.
Maybe if I deleted the file and started over and tried insertion direction?

W

Willard

Reaction score
I think you need to go with insertion direction
You can only angle it if your manufacturer dme s allow it.
I think)
Pull it all the way through and don’t inforce min. Thickness

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'll give it a try, Willard. Thanks for the post.

This was a pre-existing abutment that when I created the order form, just selected a crown (not an abutment) so I
don't think it's a dme issue in this case?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
but I'm still not getting a rotation option
if your manufacturer dme s allow it
I guess here is the answer. I don't do many custom abutments in-house, so my experience is limited. But doing crown designs, with screw holes, you get a couple different options how to angulate.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Even with 'view direction', as shown in the picture above, you get to place your hole angulated. As it says, you place your model in the view direction you would like to have your screw hole go, if that makes sense...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Even with 'view direction', as shown in the picture above, you get to place your hole angulated. As it says, you place your model in the view direction you would like to have your screw hole go, if that makes sense...

Yes, that make sense, that sounds really optimistic. Set the view, angle model direction of the long access before I hit the play button. I'll give it a try.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Pull it all the way through and don’t inforce min. Thickness

Changed my vote to, Winner. That was exactly it, Contraluz and Willard. I needed to have the abutment lined up (like insertion direction) looking from the top down of how I wanted it to be aligned, thus the View Direction, meaning.

I first did one with the abutment at a more extreme angle before I hit the play button, just to see. Then I did the 2nd one with what you suggested, and bingo :)

Also, I had to pull the rod all the way through, like Willard said, as I ended up in getting a tag inside the crown.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Now, if I can push my luck...lol. About 1 or 2 years ago, one of the 3Shape techs showed me how to create a bevel on the access hole top, so it isn't a shape edge.
Does anybody know how or where that setting is?

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Now, if I can push my luck...lol. About 1 or 2 years ago, one of the 3Shape techs showed me how to create a bevel on the access hole top, so it isn't a shape edge.
Does anybody know how or where that setting is?
That I don’t know... 😉

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
No problem, as I figure in the green state I can use a green state tapered cone to put a little bevel in it. If I ever find out from support, I'll post it back in this thread.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks to all your help, here's what I ended up with.

I even anodized the abutment and cemented it with Multilink Abutment cement.

All these were first's for me, in what you all have been doing for years. Little Scotty's growing up :)

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Be careful polishing that abutment. Don't polish that bevel. That's what the abutment uses to seat on the implant properly. If you over-polish it any, it could cause some micro-movement and have issues down the road.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
It looks like the bevel has been over-polished. You may want to get a new abutment.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It looks like the bevel has been over-polished. You may want to get a new abutment.

Thanks for your input, Kent, I appreciate it and will keep that in mind for my future restorations...but this was a throw away abutment and quickly done with a Bicuspid tooth file in a lateral implant position on a throw away model, in which I was just trying to learn how to make the access hole and angle it correctly :)