CEREC to Open STL

T

toothharvester

Reaction score
Can you get your Cerec Rep to load a version of InLab 3.80 onto your unit? Then get the software upgraded to at least 3.86 on the InLab website from the Support section. Your blue cam will work through InLab 3D, acquire images and save in separate folder.

Ok so I did this and still can't get it to save as .stl

trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
While you have your file loaded and up in InLab 3D- In your "restoration" drop down window, you have an "Export" option. That will bring you to an "Export restoration" screen, Save in the designated folder of your choice, then down to -file name: whatever you want to name it, next go below to "Save as type" the default will say "InLab restorations[*.cdt]", but click on the arrow next to it and it will give you the option of saving the file using STL preparation or STL antagonist.
These are the files I have been sending to Precision Milling Company at B&D that they input into 3 Shape to design and mill my titanium copings for me. From this point I do not know what needs to be done at their end. Pm me if you need more info.

Last edited:
S

Steindigident

Reaction score
With the updated 2.0 software I am exporting STL files on from my E4D system with ease. The new wand and CPU make multiple unit and implant scan body scanning a breeze. 3 scans: preparation, opposing and centric occlusion sent via the Sky network.

T

toothharvester

Reaction score
Can you get your Cerec Rep to load a version of InLab 3.80 onto your unit? Then get the software upgraded to at least 3.86 on the InLab website from the Support section. Your blue cam will work through InLab 3D, acquire images and save in separate folder.

ok so I have loaded 3.86 inlab and still can't figure out how to save as .stl....does anyone know?

T

toothharvester

Reaction score
With the updated 2.0 software I am exporting STL files on from my E4D system with ease. The new wand and CPU make multiple unit and implant scan body scanning a breeze. 3 scans: preparation, opposing and centric occlusion sent via the Sky network.

I think with 2.0 and sky you are sending .d4d files that then get converted in texas for a fee and sent to the lab??

T

toothharvester

Reaction score
See #22 above, all spelled out.

It must give different options if you have a lab scanner scan it? When i click the dropdown in the export to change .cdt i do not have .stl as an option.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never seen an stl from a Sirona scanner.

Must be super-duper tricky secret?? LOL

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
I am working on an importer for .cdt files into blender. I've pretty much reached the end of my technical capabilities, but I have some Blender community pros who are moderately interested in the project. If it ever pans out (I'd say 50% chance),I will of course, report back here :)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Do you need to see any more de-encrypted files Patrick?

Do you have all the samples you need in both formats?

Scott.

(Many duplicate meshs, right? Weird crap.LOL

I see many external meshs on exported CAD designs that seem very similar, but there is a difference)

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
yeah it's a very interesting file because it keeps the point cloud data and a remeshed models and its encrypted and compressed which is interesting and way out of my league. I think I have everything we need. Again, I'd say we have %50 chance and now that I'm more or less dependent on the expertise of others, I'm not sure what I'll be able to distribute and or share.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
This materialized a whole lot faster than I anticipated. It's a little funky at the moment, but as it stands...

My colleage has sent me two test files in a different file format whic has the mesh data saved in a clear way. How he gets that data out of the .cdt file is still (and probably will remain) a mystery. But it looks like we will be able to use a small program to convert the .cdt file into am intermediate ".model" file which can then be imported (using a script I wrote) into Blender. So, with a litlte team work, you get the following.

Import CDT file - YouTube
[YOUTUBE]a8cT0oy1XWQ[/YOUTUBE]

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
I have written, with the help of some of the Blender community a .cdt importer for Blender. I was hesitant to share it for legal reasons, but I have gotten some council and it appears to be ok so long as I don't share any trade secrets. Apparently companies write importers for other company file formats aaaalllll the time. They play cat and mouse with encryption and everyone has to refresh their file formats every so often. So here is what it is.

1. It's for Windows computer's only unfortunately (64bit or 32bit). My cross platform dreams would violate the "publishing of trade secrets" since python scripts are plainly readable. Plus, python is slow so I only use python for the import into Blender, the "dirty work" goes on behind the scenes in a separate c++ program

2. It only imports the preparation, opposing and registration models, not the restoration. Two reasons for this. 1) Effort, I'm a little exhausted on this project and I would need more help from others and they have helped enough. 2) My goal is not to give an application which allows total bypass of the Sirona ecosystem. Rather for educational, visualization and possibly non dental purposes (like general purpose scanning..think Jewlry).

-I will encourage people to make a donation to one of the following organizations before I give the file to them. Granted, it's optional.
-Dental Lab Network
-Blender Foundation
-"Open Dental CAD" (which is me)
-Or some other organization which is generally well purposed.

PM me if you are interested. I will also duplicate this post into it's own thread.

K

khdental

Reaction score
Pretty easy go to file, export and select stl.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
@khdental

could you be a little more specific? For example, what version of the software, with which dongle/license etc etc. Maybe you could take a few screenshots and post them to help out those not finding it so easy.

cheers!

K

khdental

Reaction score
V3.86. No specific dongle, it's just part of the package as best as I can tell.
exp.jpg exp2.jpg
exp.jpg exp2.jpg

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Thanks for the screen shots. That does seem simple enough. I wonder why others haven't had the same success?

T

teodebris

Reaction score
as far as i know only ieos cam allows to save in stl, i'm an owner of blue cam and the scans i make only can be saved as cdt and other sirona files

T

teodebris

Reaction score
patmo 141
I'm interested in the cdt importer for blender, my idea is to convert to stl for trying to use my bluecam sirona to send images to invisalign.
Can you send me information, o whatever i need? thanks

P

paulg100

Reaction score
OK ill try and help clear up the confusion.

You cannot and never have been able to export STL with the Ineos RED. if thats what your using its why there is no option.

With the Bluecam you can export and as far as im aware you do not need a dongle for stl export. Someone needs to confirm if you can only export the mode, or the restoration as well.