Cerec .cam file conversion to .stl?

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
Can anyone assist with this, I know there has to be a solution, but cannot figure it out. A doctor sent us a .cam file they designed in Sirona, but it is too large to mill in Emax, so they need it milled in zirconia. Obviously we can't use the InLab software to do this as it only works with their mill. So we need to get an .stl file that we can mill on another machine. Is there a solution here?
Thank you

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I've never tried to do what you are trying specifically, but here are my thoughts based on my experiences within Sirona's ecosystem.

If there is a way to get your doctors design output into .stl format, it may be dependent on the version of software being used and it may be something that only the doctor who did the design can do. I can recall that in the past depending on your licence it could affect your ability to output models in stl's, I'm not sure if anything like that applies to designs.

My guess is that this won't be able to be done, and exporting the models and designing yourself will be the way to go. But I would try to get in touch with someone at Sirona, or ask if your doctor has the option within his design software first

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
.cam file if i remember correctly is the actual cam instructions to cut the crown, not a piece of CAD information or project, so conversion directly is mostly impossible without simulating the cam somehow and then reverse engineering the simulation into an stl. too much work.

easier to have whoever it was re-export the case data as stl.

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the doctor doesn't seem to understand the software, I can't even get them to send a full .lab file to open the design up myself.
Thanks for the input. I figured as much about the .cam file, we tried opening it in our InLab software but it says it is corrupt...

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
Got the doc to send a .dxd file that I was able to output as stl from InLab. So, in the end, success.

Top Bottom