Ceramill Mikro 5x and Milling Pmma, worth it?

N

nvarras7

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I'm using a Mikro 5x to mill Zirconia. I've heard that pmma discs are really rough on spindles. Is it worth milling your own or outsourcing pmma for temporary crowns? A tech that specialized in temps in my area retired and it's an opportunity to pick up some work but I don't want to kill my mill. Profit vs new spindle?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It's time consuming more than anything. If you have the time to design, polish, and deliver more, and to do more mill cleaning and maintenance
price in a new spindle and go.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Pick up the work, it may open a door of opportunity for other work from those accounts, implants, zirconia etc.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
Charge more! We charge more then other people around, because I just simply don't wanna do it... still get cases here and there.
You will use more tools, and the cleaning is... bad (and I am very nice saying only that, because it's Friday :) )

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Lightly, and I mean lightly, spray the sides, back and bottom of the mill chamber (that are away from the spindle) with static guard spray (Target, Wal-Mart) and the
PMMA debrie cleans up much easier.

I enjoy doing PMMA temps. It give the Dr and I a head start in treatment planning, or creating the proper implant tissue for future anterior crowns.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If a person wanted to, you could put a Baggie sandwich bag on the clamp and tool changer, and even the corner of one on the spindle or just cover it with your hand, and spray until you see the PMMA start dropping.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
is pmma so bad for the spindle? somebody something more?

N

nvarras7

Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering. I used to live in Greece and I heard that there more than a few times, that the smaller machines shouldn't be used for pmma because of the jitterring and vibrations. Judging by the reactions here though, that might not be true.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It's bad for it in milling hours on the machine. They take forever. Have to use lower rpm or it melts.

user name

user name

Reaction score
This is all news to me. Ive never felt clean up was a hassle. The machine is usually really clean after milling. Ive never checked the RPM, but they mill out in the same time as Zr, so Im guessing the speeds are the same (?)
My machines are nearly 10 years old; only replaced a small wire harness in one and a board on the other. Milled units come out super smooth, no lines.
Just lucky?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This is all news to me. Ive never felt clean up was a hassle. The machine is usually really clean after milling. Ive never checked the RPM, but they mill out in the same time as Zr, so Im guessing the speeds are the same (?)
My machines are nearly 10 years old; only replaced a small wire harness in one and a board on the other. Milled units come out super smooth, no lines.
Just lucky?
Two things on your side.

A) You're meticulous in cleaning.

3) You've the best air in the business making your life easier.

user name

user name

Reaction score
For the record...I have vintage dirt.

R

remedydentalstudio

Reaction score
If it's once in a while don't worry about it.
If it's every day, not worth it.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
pmma cuts a little faster than Zr. additionally with Zr I use a milling cutter 0.3 which means that the crown in Zr is about 15 minutes and pmma 10.
acrylic chips stick to the entire machine due to electrostatic properties. it doesn't matter that I have dry air. powerful vacuum cleaner pulls it all at once.
I cut out Pmma temporary as a fitting for almost every job, and certainly for long bridges, full arches.
I consider this to be part of the treatment where you can't afford to have a mistake.

Top Bottom