Ceramic press on stock abutment

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Hi guys need advice
I have case single central implant with stock abutment, i think the thickness on labial is 1,5mm
I wanna use emax press
What ingot to use ? MO? HO ?
And how is the tips and trick for balancing opaque ingot + combination of opaque dentin to get the right value of restoration with adjacent teeth ?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
If you have an anodizer, i would gold hue the ti abutment. If not, opaquing will help. We would use an LT ingot on a case like this. 1.0mm of thickness should be adequate to mask the abutment if you can gold hue it or it is opaqued.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys need advice
I have case single central implant with stock abutment, i think the thickness on labial is 1,5mm
I wanna use emax press
And how is the tips and trick for balancing opaque ingot + combination of opaque dentin to get the right value of restoration with adjacent teeth ?
1.5 mm is usually enough to mask a dark prep. However, a Ti abutment is different and usually casts a low value aspect to the restoration. But, if you use 'Multilink Hybrid Abutment HOO' cement form Ivoclar, which is very opaque, your ingot choice doesn't really matter. There are other similar cements, too.
So, if using an opaque cement, you should be fine with a LT ingot, or Multi, which is usually my ingot of choice,

P

PressTech

Reaction score
Hi guys need advice
I wanna use emax press
You can’t press emax to metal, they have different CTE the crown will fracture.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I've been using light cure opaque and Panavia for quite some time.. do more of a "pre-cure" with the opaque, final cure after Panavia bonding...
works great. Anodizing, almost worthless for masking imo

PT: Also, pretty sure Iditia KT isn't pressing to titanium

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Anodizing, almost worthless for masking imo
Agree. The opaqueness of the cement or an opaquer is what blocks the Ti abutment. Even if you anodize, it will cast a low value aspect to your restoration. Although, I am not sure I would use opaquer to block a ti abutment. I feel like adding an extra layer to the cement layer may be an issue in the long run. In my experience, the Multilink Hybrid cement blocks pretty much everything, even in thin layers.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Agree. The opaqueness of the cement or an opaquer is what blocks the Ti abutment. Even if you anodize, it will cast a low value aspect to your restoration. Although, I am not sure I would use opaquer to block a ti abutment. I feel like adding an extra layer to the cement layer may be an issue in the long run. In my experience, the Multilink Hybrid cement blocks pretty much everything, even in thin layers.

Agree, that's why I have yet to try it, just another layer to possibly have a bond issue with down the road?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Agree, that's why I have yet to try it, just another layer to possibly have a bond issue with down the road?
I do not have any evidence, obviously, but that is what I would think.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Part of my problem in not trusting it is that I'm so old school that if it isn't fired onto the surface, it isn't going to have the same bond strength, compared to a light cure being more of a chemical bond.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Part of my problem in not trusting it is that I'm so old school that if it isn't fired onto the surface, it isn't going to have the same bond strength, compared to a light cure being more of a chemical bond.
I see, and I understand where you are coming from. I come from the same place and era... ;-) . But even old school pfm restorations fail... we just got used to it, to the occasional chipping etc. But if you look at modern airplanes, for example, a lot of stuff is just glued together. Or cars, no more riveting or solder, put some glue on it and stick it together. Anyway, I guess we will see in a few years how well the cements held up... Maybe I am retired by then.

P

PressTech

Reaction score
Hi guys need advice
I wanna use emax press
I have use multilink HOO with good masking results using LT on ti bases, and custom abutments.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I do this on anterior cases and it works quite well.. I don't do this with tibases, only custom abutments with a decent bondable surface area...
its a titanium opaque and 2 light cure materials..

yes I was apprehensive, I've seen plenty of de-bonding over the years in a high production lab

with that said, I'll definitely give HOO a try in about 2 months when im open

Last edited: