CDT DTG

user name

user name

Reaction score
In my little back woods State, we're not allowed to advertise except direct to the Dentists. Yet, if youre domiciled out of state you can advertise on TV and billboards all you want. That's messed up.

On a local talk radio show recently, the guest was a guy representing the farmers of the area, talking about how important it is to buy local. He mentioned that he had to go to the dentist later to get a crown done...(!)

I called in and asked if he planned on asking the dentist where the crown would be made...after all, we have excellent dental labs (well, at least one.;)) in this town. He said NO. the dentist knows whats best and he wouldn't be using them if it weren't the best solution. I just said thanks for nothing. I wont be asking if my beef comes from Argentina...after all, the store wouldn't be selling it if it weren't the best.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What would happen to you if a patient accidentally visits your website? What a ridiculous rule.

MC Reusable Articulators

MC Reusable Articulators

Reaction score
i completely agree with you....

sadly, i am guessing 75% or better of the population doesnt "know" there is a lab. you had the advantage of knowing. at 17 years old (when i started in the lab) i had no idea there was such a thing. most patients go to the dentist because something hurts and they want it to stop, or they go for routine cleanings to the same place they have been going for years and years. sometimes generations.

i have struggled my entire career to come up with a viable "marketing" strategy to educate the general public. i have yet to come up with that one gem of an idea to make it all possible. still searching for new ideas and methods to shed light on the industry as a whole to the every day jane and joe walking down the street.

i asked the above questions not to be a difficult a$$ (though i am one haha!),but instead to see if any of those tactics worked. you ask why the dr sets the tone? well if you believe the dr sending to china will post informational packets in their lobby about sending off-shore....i think you are sorely mistaken. some of these offices blatantly admit it to the lab (me) but literally say to keep it quiet around the patients. literally not a joke, this happened last year.
other offices refuse to admit it, they INSIST they arent sending offshore....but when i explain the minimum labor hours [at minimum wage] it takes to make a crown, not to mention material costs, and try to show them the numbers cannot match up with their $48 PFM crown....the cold shoulder comes out. they do not want to admit it to themselves, or their patients.

sorry to make this such a rant, just trying to find additional info i can use to help educate the masses.

I appreciate that Bob, I wasn't sure :)

My response was for both scenarios, your honest curiosity and for the cynicism amongst us.

I think some doctors are very willing to allow such brochures to be posted in their waiting rooms.

And if you can get ONE in your area to do so, it automatically raises the awareness bar.

Other people will question where their teeth come from.

Consumer Reports Magazine needs to do a story on this.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
In my little back woods State, we're not allowed to advertise except direct to the Dentists. Yet, if youre domiciled out of state you can advertise on TV and billboards all you want. That's messed up.
Same thing here. Only licensed medical practitioners are allowed to advertise as only they are allowed to prescribe, or even discuss treatment(s) with patients. Nobody I've ever told what I did knew what I was talking about, except for one MD who worked in a lab as a premed student. I tell everyone I can, but it's one at a time.

doug

doug

Reaction score
There is no law against you advertising that a patient should ask their doctor about Emax or similar restorative options. You are not advertising your lab, just the availability of specific products, and that you support those products as being good.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
We have/are considering get a wrap done on our delivery cars. Currently they just have our logo, address, phone etc... But I got the idea to do a wrap incorporating a big set of dentures, maybe some of the popular brands of material we use, a Made in USA/American flag, and a big question across the back, where will your teeth come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The fact is, there is a market for everything. Its the reason walmart exists, and even dominates. Many of the patients the Drs send to me for custom shade dont see what all the fuss is about.. Even for single central match.. The fact is, its not always about esthetics, its not always about money.. Some people dont think or care about their teeth, they just want the problem fixed.. This is about supporting your own economy, and most sheeple dont get how that works, even dentists. Sooner than later, it will be hard to find any products made here. This is an epidemic that has hit almost every mfg. industry, nothing new.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
The fact is, there is a market for everything. Its the reason walmart exists, and even dominates. Many of the patients the Drs send to me for custom shade dont see what all the fuss is about.. Even for single central match.. The fact is, its not always about esthetics, its not always about money.. Some people dont think or care about their teeth, they just want the problem fixed.. This is about supporting your own economy, and most sheeple dont get how that works, even dentists. Sooner than later, it will be hard to find any products made here. This is an epidemic that has hit almost every mfg. industry, nothing new.
there are other factors in play for the comparison to walmart....unless you are getting government subsidies too?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I wasnt writing an essay, just making a comment.. Walmart is in a class of its own. I bet most people shop there just for the convenience of one-stop shopping.. price or where the products come from matter very little.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I wasnt writing an essay, just making a comment.. Walmart is in a class of its own. I bet most people shop there just for the convenience of one-stop shopping.. price or where the products come from matter very little.
I agree. just making the point that the "big guys" get preferential treatment by The-Man.
I agree there is a market for everything though!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Well after the pics that Al posted of Napier with whoever and so on.. Its obvious there are global players here making deals that we will never be privy to. So in that sense, maybe just like walmart, or even worse because this is human health.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If you like your cdt you can keep your cdt.

doug

doug

Reaction score
You know, if you have questions about Bennett's trip to China you can call him and he'll be happy to tell you all about it. I don't know anyone who is more transparent in their support of our industry and who's entire contact is as an advocate for it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
blame canada
Actually you guys are wearing this snafu by yourself.

We have achieved professional status through self regulation. I don't think anyone can use dtg here legally.in fact only rdts can supervise a lab here.

You guys really screwed the pooch on this one not us.

Top Bottom