CDT DTG

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Step 2thMaster Bay.... Is that your real name, fake name, stage name, fake stage name? Just wondering.
P
Al, why do you spend time here with these guys? You think you will change their minds? It's natural to fear whats coming. Let them all talk.. When they fall off like dead limbs who will be left? That is what I am interested in- Not a bunch of cynics hanging out in a dying forum with no passion, and no future. We will do what we do, they will do what they do. What is sad is, we could all do this together, but people just want to waste time, sit back and talk about things they know nothing about. If they really wanted to know they would research it, (not hard) and make an assessment, then talk. So far, I have not heard a truthful thing about DTG in any of these comments. Everyone wants to have an opinion, without the facts. That is called FEAR. We will see what happens in the end. No need to talk. Spend less time here Al.. No sense getting the life sucked out of you.
dude, I get you taking umbrage about your own getting dissed.
I've got no dog in that.
But don't take a crap on the forum. It's been here a long time, seen the good the bad but we still talk shop here.

I like the place, so I take exception at you laying a turd about the site.
Not cool. I didn't ask to be collateral damage.

Last edited:
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
You know I think Dental Town has changed. Seeing more and more Docs looking for really cheap crowns.
Not seeing value in their labs.
Didn't used to be that way.

I've gotten into some drawn out debates on a couple of threads.
Seeing Docs looking for crowns in the $70 price range and looking for "quality" crowns in the low $100 range.
They now consider $200 high end work.
People always think the Luddites were foolishly fighting inevitable change.
But they had a point.
What happens when a lifetimes skill is replaced by an automated widget?

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Well put John Wilson - couldn't have said more eloquently than you did, it was from the heart. As far as what Al stated, Just spoke to a potential new account this week. His request was " I want good work but it has to be cheap". To be honest, I didn't respond back for several days. ( He also asked for a price list),when I finally did get back to him, I politely informed him that I haven't printed price lists in 10 years. And that in 42 years as a dental technician I've seen a lot of good work and I've seen a lot of "cheap" work, but I've never seen any good and cheap work. If he would consider to try us out, I would try my best to do the best possible work for him. As quite often, like everyone else, I won't hold my breath on this one. But I keep hoping that this will sink in on just one of these Drs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
I have witnessed several average techs with potential just blossom over a couple of years and now in demand from several companies and picking up new Drs from all over.
So piss and moan all you want and stay obscure in your corner only person hurt is yourself.
Last month 2 major companies contacted us wanting to know if anybody wanted to work with them on some products.
Several put their names in the hat.

Wow!!!

I backed up and read this whole thread, and honestly, I give props to all of you for standing in your truth. Being authentic to yourself is extremely difficult at times. Just know that your truth is just that.... your's. No matter how thick the pancake is, it has two sides.

I've been a tech for 43 years, and not to puff my chest out here, I think I've seen quite a bit in all these years. One thing for sure, we are a proud bunch for the job we do. We all are doing what we can with what we know, and when you know better, you do better.

Al, I'm with you, and you know you inspire me. We've talked about that. I'm with you on several items, but I'll list just a few:

Dentistry is such a small part of my life with regard to who I am as a person. I've always looked at this profession as a means to pay my bills, provide for my family, and allow me the finances to do the things that provide the "juice" in life. By that I mean its a means to an end. It does not define me at all! It is just a small portion of who I am, and I believe strongly that we need to keep everything in balance for our overall well-being.

I worked at a lab, which will remain anonymous, and it was nothing more to me than a glorified sweatshop. I learned a lot while there, and got fired because a tech , who is dead now, stuck his nose in my business and I confronted him about it. His name wasn't on my check, for I was a piece mill worker, and the owner chose the "old guard" over the truth, and I was outta there. That same tech sued them later for overtime not being paid.

This lab, in my opinion, is like some other labs. It used politics, and hung on some Dentist's coattails, and gained it's notoriety by hosting events that this dentist promotes. But what is notoriety? I've asked countless doctors if they had ever heard of that lab, and they said no. So, if we examine our "circle of influence", that lab isn't as big as their "head" thinks it is.

I was actually told by one of the owners that if he knew I wasn't a CDT, he wouldn't have hired me. They acted like it was a privilege to work there. Daddy started the lab, kids followed suit, but don't look down your darn nose on me, or in my case, look up....(I'm 6'5") because I'm not a CDT! Really? The rudeness of such a pompass ass!.
I took that with a grain of salt, for when I asked if I could put up some of my "I love me" things on the wall, and I did, they all laughed, but I didn't see anyone else with 3 college degrees, one of which was an AAS in dental technology. Now with 3 more college degrees, including my PhD, and working on my second PhD, am I still "defined" as a dental technician? I've been a CDT, twice, and not once have I ever had a Dentist call me an ask me if I was a CDT, and go "oh boy, let me send you all of my work!"

Does the President of the NADL preside for the benefit of the little labs? Does Obama protect you or big business? Has the NADL hurt or hindered your career? Ask yourself these questions.

Being a CDT,DTG, MDT,............ all great things..... but your'e all more than that. Al wants to take his scooter across country, I want another airplane to fly to wherever, and we can't do those things if we "major in the minors." Somebody else wants something else. I have witnessed this in my tenure as a tech, and it's something I don't see in many other occupations. Why are we so caught up in being a dental tech? Your'e also, some of you, mothers, dads, brothers, sons, and so much more. It's OK to disagree too.

Would I like to be a DTG? Sure..... what's involved? Would I like to be CDT? Not at what I see as weighing the cost vs. the reward. As I said, been there, done that. But if you want to get upset about all the letters you can put behind your name, I can tell you whether one group accepts it, and another doesn't, in the final analysis of life, do what feeds your soul. Do what gives you the juice! We've recently lost a leader in our industry, Mark Jackson. Do you think for a minute his family cares if he was a CDT? HE DID! He will be missed. He is missed already by his family.

Pick and choose ladies and gentlemen, and see what little things you are allowing to get your panties in a wad. 43 years, and I can tell you this...... you are only as good as that last case that went out the door. CDT, DTG, Doris Day, or BB King..... that last case that went our the door...... Are you going to let that define who your are?

Peace,

Randy Hill, PhD

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
Randy, what are you a PhD in and what is the other you're working on? I'm just nosy.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Randy, what are you a PhD in and what is the other you're working on? I'm just nosy.

I was wondering the same thing. He, Randy, is very articulate and well spoken.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Its a long shot, but Im thinking Physical Chemistry. University of Oklahoma...?

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Those that will not use the internet to pick and choose those things that will work for them are making a mistake. Learning from the failure and success of the other guy is the fast road to success. If I was thirty with the kind of information available today I'd set the world on fire with one box of matches.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
you are only as good as that last case that went out the door

If you are not part of the planning and let clinicians dictate the trajectory of the circle they frequently make you run in then this may be true.
By leveraging your experience and knowledge you may become invaluable to the team and only think twice about the last case except to improve on what you learned from it.

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I couldn't think of a finer bunch of people to go down in a heap of flames than right here on DLN.

Thank you Travis for creating such a wonderful site for us losers.Cheers

I'm totally lost in this thread...

Flipperlady, CDT

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
What part don't you get?

1. Why people are arguing over fake credentials, seems the legal dept over at NBC would put an end to that.

2. Why Travis is even allowing another competing sites name to be used and advertised on here.

3. Didn't know you had to be a "loser" to come here, didn't know I was supposed to be somewhere else , lol.

4. Now I have a headache, what do losers take, Tylenol- or aspirin ? :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Bennett Napier
Executive Director of NADL.
And a publisher of JDT.

The big enchilada at the NADL and the CDT program.
Pic was taken at Zhuhai City , China
When he was being courted by Chinese dental labs.

The NADL represents the big box labs and the outsourcers to off shore labs.
Not the little labs.

The reason there is no right for patient to know where their crowns are made is because half the leadership is shipping off shore.
Huge conflict of in interest.

I strongly recommend techs to get involved with their State Associations
Like the KDLA and FDLA but the NADL is not the small labs friend
SPOT ON AL!!!
finally people might be seeing the light!

Top Bottom