CDT Continuing Education question

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Hi yinz,

I am 4 Scientific credits away from fulfilling my yearly CE requirements. I'm a little confused on what is the difference between a self-study/professional development credit, and a scientific credit. Like I go onto the Foundation for Dental Laboratory Technology's website, and it actually says "Approved for 1 Scientific Credit" which is nice. These magazines I get on the other hand, IDT, LMT, JDT I don't think they really tell you what kind of credit it is. Just says the article's been approved for 1 CE credit, and that it is peer-reviewed. So what the heck is the difference? I used up all of my freebie CE videos the past few years 😔 And another question if I may. I'm certified in Complete Dentures. Can I watch a video or read an article that has to do with another specialty, or that is geared towards dentists and still receive credits?

Thanks in advance for yinz who are knowledgable n'at!

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
Usually the ones that have a test are for documented/scientific credits.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi yinz,

I am 4 Scientific credits away from fulfilling my yearly CE requirements. I'm a little confused on what is the difference between a self-study/professional development credit, and a scientific credit. Like I go onto the Foundation for Dental Laboratory Technology's website, and it actually says "Approved for 1 Scientific Credit" which is nice. These magazines I get on the other hand, IDT, LMT, JDT I don't think they really tell you what kind of credit it is. Just says the article's been approved for 1 CE credit, and that it is peer-reviewed. So what the heck is the difference? I used up all of my freebie CE videos the past few years 😔 And another question if I may. I'm certified in Complete Dentures. Can I watch a video or read an article that has to do with another specialty, or that is geared towards dentists and still receive credits?

check CDEworld.com I know they have free and fee CE stuff for us, but not how clearly they categorize.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
check CDEworld.com I know they have free and fee CE stuff for us, but not how clearly they categorize.
Yeah, I've been doing a few of those as well. Sometimes they have a little box above that says "Regulatory Standards 1 CE Credit" but I don't see anything that says anything about scientific credits. Most of them just say self-study, unless I'm looking in the wrong area. I might just call NBC in Tallahassee to verify tomorrow. Thanks JMN!

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Nevermind, but thank you. I found the answer on the NADL website. Apparently, any of the technical articles that I read in any of the magazines that have quizzes attached to them count towards Scientific Credits. If they don't have quizzes attached to them, they can qualify as undocumented/professional development. https://nadl.org/store/productlist.cfm?category=9

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Hi yinz,

If you get JDT magazine with your CDT they have the articles for scientific credit in there. Lots of good info in there as well.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
If you get JDT magazine with your CDT they have the articles for scientific credit in there. Lots of good info in there as well.
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Got my 4 credits in a days worth of reading/free quizzes! Gotta love free credits!