CDT cards

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I'll be a 30 yr CDT next year...you...you ...whipper snapper, you! It has changed some...procedure more than content...but I had a tech take it three years ago and I can't even remember that far back...oh! look! there goes a chicken...don't know if it's my mammories or oldtimers disease or mad cow. I could ask her if I could just remember her name.

okay from the NBC website:

Removable Prosthodontics-Complete Dentures
In advance of the examination day, candidates must pour and mount casts on semi-adjustable articulators according to NBC instructions, and must setup and process a complete set of maxillary and mandibular dentures. At the test site, they will:

•Make and finish a maxillary custom tray;
•Arrange 1 x 28 anatomical teeth in full balance, using the previously mounted casts;
•Contour the 1 x 28 setup;
•Make two denture repairs (one tooth replacement and one fracture repair);
•Make a maxillary wax occlusal rim on a stabilized baseplate.
Candidates' grades are grouped into three sub-tests. One sub-test consists of the grades on the setup accomplished at the test site; another covers all of the preliminary procedures; and the third includes all other procedures on the examination. As in all of the certified specialties, candidates must achieve passing scores on all three sub-tests to qualify for certification.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
still debating whether or not to take the exam it's one of those things where I haven't needed it thus far so why go through the trouble and spend the time and money. A part of me wants to take and pass the exam and another part wondering what I'm trying to prove I guess it's a personal thing for each individual. All of the input is very much appreciated thanks to everyone who has offered their time to give input on the subject even you Tim you old sob.:) I know I'm probably being chastised by many cdt's for not being a CDT and thats fine by me I will continue plugging along giving 100% into each case that comes into my laboratory and not worry about other peoples opinions of me as a non CDT. My opinions are based on what someone can do not their label whether it's a surgeon or a dds if you have the skills and the knowledge then you have it if you don't you don't. We all know many dds's do not have good removable skills and some just have limited skills all together as we've all seen on dental frown. Anyways thanks again to all who have offered their input I'll let you know if I decide to take the exam and if I do I'll keep everyone posted on the details of it.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Well if you do go for it I wish you all the best.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Thanks Ken I apreciate it, you always post with such class and I have a lot of repect you for that.

ICONDENTAL

ICONDENTAL

Reaction score
Perhaps you and others could try to convince me and other techs that think like I do of the benefits of being a cdt, other than it makes you feel good about yourself. Ken already mentioned how it allows him to gain access to prosthodontic societies. Be specific about the pros and cons.
I'm not dead set against the idea of becoming a cdt I'm just not convinced of its benefits. convince me, as I may be somewhat ignorant about the benefits.

Hi Hydent-
Personally I can tell you that when you go for the well paid jobs . 150k + most Prosthodontist look at you qualification for me being a CDT had help.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
i say cdt '08-'09.if qustioned i explain how i took all the steps to continue except the $400 osha class and the money NBC wanted. scam for $$$ imo.pay for the same recognistion as a burger flipper?..lol no thanks... still glad i didnt keep it. has hurt me none, not required in my state to open my lab. i took all the classes for CE cept the infection control because at the time i was paying mortgage in two states,baby on the way and moving across country to CA.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
My personal experience is if you are in the job market, employers consider a CDT a sign of career commitment. It can mean the difference between an interview for something that pays decently or only being offered entry level plaster monkey.
In the lab I currently work in, the owner will increase an employee's wage 50% just for getting certified....
so it's not completely worthless.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
My personal experience is if you are in the job market, employers consider a CDT a sign of career commitment. It can mean the difference between an interview for something that pays decently or only being offered entry level plaster monkey.
In the lab I currently work in, the owner will increase an employee's wage 50% just for getting certified....
so it's not completely worthless.

Thats a rather large increase for a piece of paper Ken, and something that I am sure could come back to bite him in the ass. Think if he had a ceramist making $25 and hour and now he has to give him 50% raise? Not many labs in this world could ever afford to do that from a business stand point.

I have had CDT's that worked for me, I have had some that thought they were worth more than they were because of it. I have techs that are just amazing and are worth every penny I throw at them. Its a scale that I just do not believe in. The problem is ITS THE ONLY SCALE recognized. I prefer to have techs impress me with what their hands can do and what their integrity shows each day they are on time and work a full shift and put their heart into their craft. This is the scale I measure on.

I totally understand the personal goal of achieving a CDT, hell I took the Written comprehensive just for fun and scored 97%. I am certain I could pass any practical exam they have if I so choose. Sadly in this world TODAY its not going to amount to any additional income or respect. If I am not respected by my peers by now a piece of paper is not changing that.

Now with this being said I still encourage techs to participate in the system, I just do not give them any false hope that its going to do anything but fuel the passion many of us have for this industry.

Look at it this way, why are we participating on this site, why do we debate such things, why do we continue day after day hash out whats going on in the industry the trends the techniques the successes the failures. Its because we are passionate, we have drive, we have a vision for tomorrow even in this uncertain times we practice in. I can honestly say that many of the techs on this site that are not credentialed are more of a CDT than many of the CDTs that work 9 to 5. Its the hours and hours we spend a year online sharing info and bettering our understanding of this craft that has been so good to all of us.

Just my thoughts on a Saturday evening while I enjoy a fine single malt and listen to the music of my mills via wifi :)

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
In my state there must be a CDT in the lab 35 hrs a week. I do wonder why if the feds list us as unskilled labor does that mean even with a CDT are we still unskilled labor?

Man I'm glad I do this for the thrills and sport now because that 1974 sticker on my CDT certificate has lost it's glow over the years.

Tom Moore MIC-KEY-OU-CDT

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I do not understand why some people have an argument with having a CDT certification, this is a choice whether to have it or not. Some states require certification to open a lab. We all from time to time complain about our industry and work hard to raise the bar to a new heights, it will be achieved with education and certification.

I understand a CDT certification dose not help you if you do not have the artistry, the dexterity and the know how to excel. A combination of all mentioned in addition to certification propel you to become above and beyond as a dental tech.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Thats a rather large increase for a piece of paper Ken, and something that I am sure could come back to bite him in the ass. Think if he had a ceramist making $25 and hour and now he has to give him 50% raise? Not many labs in this world could ever afford to do that from a business stand point.

I have had CDT's that worked for me, I have had some that thought they were worth more than they were because of it. I have techs that are just amazing and are worth every penny I throw at them. Its a scale that I just do not believe in. The problem is ITS THE ONLY SCALE recognized. I prefer to have techs impress me with what their hands can do and what their integrity shows each day they are on time and work a full shift and put their heart into their craft. This is the scale I measure on.

I totally understand the personal goal of achieving a CDT, hell I took the Written comprehensive just for fun and scored 97%. I am certain I could pass any practical exam they have if I so choose. Sadly in this world TODAY its not going to amount to any additional income or respect. If I am not respected by my peers by now a piece of paper is not changing that.

Now with this being said I still encourage techs to participate in the system, I just do not give them any false hope that its going to do anything but fuel the passion many of us have for this industry.

Look at it this way, why are we participating on this site, why do we debate such things, why do we continue day after day hash out whats going on in the industry the trends the techniques the successes the failures. Its because we are passionate, we have drive, we have a vision for tomorrow even in this uncertain times we practice in. I can honestly say that many of the techs on this site that are not credentialed are more of a CDT than many of the CDTs that work 9 to 5. Its the hours and hours we spend a year online sharing info and bettering our understanding of this craft that has been so good to all of us.

Just my thoughts on a Saturday evening while I enjoy a fine single malt and listen to the music of my mills via wifi :)
I offer no judgement about the relative merits of your thinking.... I merely stated what is in fact the owner's position.
I will say, however, that had we more with that attitude, we would still have a strong higher educational system for this industry with starting wages better than the poor slob scrubbing the toilets at mickey D's...
Just a thought.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
burger flipper/toilet scrubber------CDT

same thing as far as the labor department is concerned.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

And whose fault is that? They determined we are unskilled because lab owners reported they mostly trained on the job. Whether they did so to keep down wages by eschewing those who'd graduated from accredited schools, or because low wages closed most of them long ago and now it's impossible to find an educated tech at entry level, the fact remains DOL downgraded because of our practices and attitudes.
We have to look at our role in making that happen.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
i was cdt in 08. took a job at a lab for 70k in iowa. girl that worked their for 4 years was a dental tech school grad. she was paid less then half of what i made.sad.she was/is VERY skilled..she left after i did. i pointed out the fact jamey /owner was screwing her.hope your doing better molly..treat her well shane.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The fact still remains a CDT designation doesn't hurt you on any resume and almost always gets you seat across from a lab owner while your looking for a new job. I would confess though, that I would probably lean to hiring a CDT than someone who was a recent school grad. Real world experience is a whole different ball game than what you do in school. However, to be fair, it does hurt the profession to think this way. I believe it does because in school you get your hands on everything, your required to learn the who's what's and why's, doesn't mean the final product is very stellar but that doesn't matter till you get into the real world but you have the foundation, a building block/starting point per say to build from when you do enter the real world. It's a catch 22 for sure. I'm not sure I see it getting any better either...just because most lab owners could care less if your a school grad, they want to know you can do the work and do it now and really don't want to pay you those big salaries while you catch up to the real world. Meanwhile you have a CDT who knows the real world, knows how to get it done and make the boss money...who would you pick? Meanwhile the profession as whole does suffer and all while they add 12 more dental schools this year in the U.S. I don't know about you fine folks, screw the stats out there, a good technical minded technician is going to be a hard individual to find out there...can someone say job security?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
On second note who ever said non cdt's don't take ce credits I take my fair share every year more than many cdt's I know. I know I may be an exeption but I don't want to be pigeon holed into a group of non cdts that don't stay educated.
I take more than enough CE courses, I dropped my CDT in 82 or 83 (obtained in 76). I know several CDT's that fake it and apply things they haven't done. There doesn't seem to be a lot of checking. I hope the program has gotten less political and infighting, that was some of my issues. I looked into reinstatement, a few years ago and couldn't think of why I would want to spend over a grand to take the tests. As for the safety courses, most of them are given by safety link and are generally a joke.
If the CDT was like the RDT in Canada, I would reinstate as it would be of a value other than self achievement, which is worthwhile in itself. The only states that I heard use it are Texas required for lab owner and Florida for taxing purposes. Ken you are in OR now have you thought of becoming a Denturist?
I suspect that the best and brightest from the offshore labs make start trying to go the green card route to live and work and be citizens here.
As this field has been demoted to unskilled labor they cannot be sponsored to come into the us for a green card in Dental Technology.

My personal view is that dental technicians should go through an accredited program, and earning some type of degree along with it. And after X number of practical experience years, then take the CDT exams.
If the pay could support education in college, & if this could be administrated by something other than by self recognized testers. And have some real value such as the DDS obtains form their license, I would totally agree. But then I did go to College University & Army training so I started with hi ideals and the thoughts of your instructors.

Last edited:
hydent

hydent

Reaction score
ahh this thread is so old. I think after all of the bantering back and forth between me and Tim I owe everyone an update. first off I apologized to Tim in a phone call a couple maybe even a few years ago(hopefully he remembers),actually ashamed of some of the harsh things I said. But on the CDT issue I was approached to do some lecturing and it is very difficult to do lectures without the CDT recognition or some form of formal educational certificate there are some doing it and quite honestly I'm not sure how or why they are allowed to do so...whatever, they are still good techs but there shouldn't be exceptions to a rule IMO. Anyways I decided to take the written tests this last spring both at the same time. I singed up one day feeling I should study, well I got caught up with life, business, kids, etc. and as you could guess didn't get any studying done. Having paid the pretty substantial fee to take the test already I thought I'd better take a crack at it anyways, I thought hell I've been doing this for 15 years now I should know this stuff anyways. I went in took the test and when you don't study for it it's very easy to doubt many of your answers some questions seem to have multiple answers that could apply I was almost certain I failed one of them, (not the specialty) they asked questions like "what's the melting point of silver?" (shockingly I got that one right) well about a month later I received the results and I passed both. At some point I need to take the practical exam finding time to do that will be a challenge and quite expensive too. Even though I am going to become a CDT I don't think it makes you me better. I do think many times if you are on a job search it does have a great value but in reality it's kind of just a label that makes a lot of people feel validated or accomplished in some way. For me it's a career move to maybe help other removable techs learn and grow and also make a few extra dollars by teaching and meeting a lot of great people along the way ... probably learning a thing or two from them also ... I have one close friend calling me a sell out etc. but really it hasn't changed my opinion as of yet. not looking forward to the fees the added hoops etc and not impressed by how many people say they are CDT's and they are not you can look up anyone on the website to check it out. Why don't they hold people accountable for fraudulently saying they are CDT's? my guess is probably because the CDT really doesn't mean anything in most states.
To all the non CDT's don't get worked up like I did lol. keep on trucking along and maybe someday if if you see the ability for personal gain from aquiring the credentials you will do so, otherwise keep educating yourselves and doing great work. I can say this though if they ever make it a national requirement I will be ready and that's a pretty good feeling.

ICONDENTAL

ICONDENTAL

Reaction score

"burger flipper/toilet scrubber------CDT"
Some people Don't have what it takes to pass exams and are big bullies or don't take the job serious . I agree with "kcedt"
-"And whose fault is that? They determined we are unskilled because lab owners reported they mostly trained on the job. Whether they did so to keep down wages by eschewing those who'd graduated from accredited schools, or because low wages closed most of them long ago and now it's impossible to find an educated tech at entry level, the fact remains DOL downgraded because of our practices and attitudes.
We have to look at our role in making that happen."- Lab owners that are in this field only for $ and look for as many excuses not to pay a fear salary to their workers are the ones that are keeping the standars soo low while their wallets are getting big in the name of screning good techs from bad ones , the reality is that quality is in the eyes of the beholder To all the non CDT's don't get worked up "hydent" who said " keep on trucking along and maybe someday if if you see the ability for personal gain from aquiring the credentials you will do so, otherwise keep educating yourselves and doing great work"I gave only two quotes as example of how many CDT'technicians see how important it is to be certified. IT HAS PAID OFF .

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
if you are on a job search it does have a great value but in reality it's kind of just a label that makes a lot of people feel validated or accomplished in some way. For me it's a career move to maybe help other removable techs learn and grow and also make a few extra dollars by teaching and meeting a lot of great people along the way ... probably learning a thing or two from them also
You have said in a nutshell what the current greatest values of the CDT program are at this point.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
its a deap issue no doubt! then you bring the foreign market into it and then you really have a topic of discussion.... if dentists care more about price than they do about quality what does that say to everyone striving to become better, or on the fence about becoming a CDT. I have some very real experience in the lab industry as a lab owner and I can say there are tons of techs that don't hold a cdt that are world class technicians some were cdt's most never were. I think the attitude of the existing CDT's is a little dissheartening myself, I mean many of you come off like self rightious bullies if I'm being honest.... there is almost a pack mentality! there is a more effective way to help people see the benefits rather than cramming it down their throats with a side of insults to go along with it. Try mentoring and encouraging, the old somewhat cliche adage goes "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" well there is truth to that.
I know for a fact if you asked the people who's opinions matter as far as technicians go (dentists prosthodontists even patients) if they would consider us unskilled labor they would strongly dissagree. They depend on us as technical resources and they see the talent and artistic ability. I don't like the fact that they labeled us as unskilled as much as the next guy... my question is what did the NBC do to stop it? that's a real question because I really am out of the loop... that and I try not to dwell on the negative....BTW WTF happend to the spell check!! lol