CDT cards

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I'm sorry if my retired status is causing you financial hardship.

I was trying to relate to the downward pressures that have hampered higher education in this field. We've lost many schools because the starting wage doesn't justify the outlay for education. The military was by and large the exception to this rule and was at one time where 80%+ of trained technicians working in this field in the US got their training.
I did not in any way shape or form intend that to be taken as a slight on military service, and if you read it that way, then I apologize for your misunderstanding.
All I was speculating on is how we got to this economic model.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
(not talking penis here ;) ),professional image in their minds if nothing else.:D
Their you go again, always turning it into a circle jerk......lol Hey, on the CDL, you don't get any bennies or perks? Nothing? Like I said, the safety part to get the CDL was good to go, but I didn't hang around to see what the perks were, other than a status thing (hence the only reason I'm a double CDT),is their any other point? legally?

I did not in any way shape or form intend that to be taken as a slight on military service, .

Darn it, been back less than 24 hours and was hoping to go Marine on someone.......shucks, and hear I thought you two were fun....:):) love ya long time.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Their you go again, always turning it into a circle jerk......lol Hey, on the CDL, you don't get any bennies or perks? Nothing? Like I said, the safety part to get the CDL was good to go, but I didn't hang around to see what the perks were, other than a status thing (hence the only reason I'm a double CDT),is their any other point? legally?

Got some nice static cling label thingies to give out to my docs and put on my delivery car and front door...oh and the respect and admiration of my peers. :D

They say it will come in handy if any of my docs get sued...yeah, right...as they can show they did due diligence by sending it to a CDL and not some hole-in-the-wall. All that tells me is that they'll be pointing their finger at me.:rolleyes:

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Now Hydent, don't you agree what we had going was a lot more fun than this little lovefest?

Ken and Rob get a room...preferably not at the same sanatorium I'll be checked into.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
good one, you arrogant bastard jk :D

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
good one, you arrogant bastard jk :D

That's Mr. Arrogant Bastard, CDT to you. :cool:

Oh, and last time I checked the full denture exams had the highest failure rate...not like the cakewalk they give the C&B guys. :D

So, if you decide to take it, good luck...though we both know luck has nothing to do with it. You know your stuff; you get through. I know you'll do fine. It's those guy who you just think they know their stuff that...well, they need to think again. One of the problems with dentures is that the 'craft' part of it is so easy to perform that it too easy to think they've got the technical and scientific part down...as if just putting the teeth in the right order is all there is to it...that reminds me of a doc who decided he needed to reset a case himself...to get it right. I had to call him when I got it back to ask if there was a reason he put the upper posteriors on the lower arch and visa versa. He didn't stay a client long.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Tim
Your advise is cool what else does the test involve? do you choose the teeth? I didn't realize it had such a high fail rate. thats why dentists didn't want to take the nevada state board a few years ago, because of the difficult denture portion it really kept the state from being oversaturated then they started exepting the western regionals and now were oversaturated. Dentures are scary for new dentists, I guess they should be tought more in school. Those plaster hands are pretty cool I did my kids hands and feet but never anything like that.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
That's Mr. Arrogant Bastard, CDT to you. :cool:

Oh, and last time I checked the full denture exams had the highest failure rate...not like the cakewalk they give the C&B guys. :D

So, if you decide to take it, good luck...though we both know luck has nothing to do with it. You know your stuff; you get through. I know you'll do fine. It's those guy who you just think they know their stuff that...well, they need to think again. One of the problems with dentures is that the 'craft' part of it is so easy to perform that it too easy to think they've got the technical and scientific part down...as if just putting the teeth in the right order is all there is to it...that reminds me of a doc who decided he needed to reset a case himself...to get it right. I had to call him when I got it back to ask if there was a reason he put the upper posteriors on the lower arch and visa versa. He didn't stay a client long.

That's one of the reasons I'm so frikkin' proud of mine... passed it on the first go ( and they throw enough at you that you're hard pressed to finish).
I sat next to a guy trying to make a stabilized baseplate by relining a vacuform with autocure resin... some old dog told him it was the bomb and so he thought he'd impress the examiners...NEVER MADE ONE BEFORE!!!
Needless to say it wasn't going well for him. He was sweating so much it was like someone had poured a bucket of water on his head... I still laugh every time I think of it. For the record I made my baseplates out of triad- I Knew how busy I'd be.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Tim
Your advise is cool what else does the test involve? do you choose the teeth? I didn't realize it had such a high fail rate. thats why dentists didn't want to take the nevada state board a few years ago, because of the difficult denture portion it really kept the state from being oversaturated then they started exepting the western regionals and now were oversaturated. Dentures are scary for new dentists, I guess they should be tought more in school. Those plaster hands are pretty cool I did my kids hands and feet but never anything like that.
I had to buy two sets of teeth(NBC specifies mould to you when they send you the forms to make your models). You're SUPPOSED to only perform the tasks they outline ahead of time and every thing else on site.
At the time you had to provide a finished set with a remount index on an articulator. They assess that immediately and then break them for you to repair. The second set of teeth you set up and wax there. You also have to make a baseplate/wax rim (and maybe a tray, my memory fails).
I took mine at the navel base in NORFOLK VA, and by the time you shlep your equipment in and get set up you're pretty frazzled. We had 5 hours to do what seemed at the time like a whole days work, but I'm sure it was just being in a strange lab.
After that the specialty exam, which I do well at despite that fact that by that time I'm on the verge of nervous breakdown.
Complete dentures is no cakewalk....

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
I had to buy two sets of teeth(NBC specifies mould to you when they send you the forms to make your models). You're SUPPOSED to only perform the tasks they outline ahead of time and every thing else on site.
At the time you had to provide a finished set with a remount index on an articulator. They assess that immediately and then break them for you to repair. The second set of teeth you set up and wax there. You also have to make a baseplate/wax rim (and maybe a tray, my memory fails).
I took mine at the navel base in NORFOLK VA, and by the time you shlep your equipment in and get set up you're pretty frazzled. We had 5 hours to do what seemed at the time like a whole days work, but I'm sure it was just being in a strange lab.
After that the specialty exam, which I do well at despite that fact that by that time I'm on the verge of nervous breakdown.
Complete dentures is no cakewalk....

You and Tim are right, it's no cake walk.. I took my practicals with a Prosth and he failed.. It was the most nerve racking day. There were 4 of us taking the CD prac and 30 something C&B guys and 1 RPD chap..

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
You and Tim are right, it's no cake walk.. I took my practicals with a Prosth and he failed.. It was the most nerve racking day. There were 4 of us taking the CD prac and 30 something C&B guys and 1 RPD chap..

If I had a dime for every prosth I've met that couldn't master removable I'd be taking my own jet to work.
I've never quite understood how you specialize in something and then spend a career putzing around at it.

Kreyer

Kreyer

Reaction score
Kenneth,

Are referring to the American Prosthodontic Society and changing our bylaws to be more inclusive?

The APS voted to change the bylaws because many non-cdt technicians from other countries could not join. For example MDT's, RDT's etc...
There are many excellent dental technicians that wanted to join but had more experience and education than non-cdt's but could not because of the bylaws.

At this years meeting dental technicians (technologists) from Italy and Mexico were able to join who had more educational requirements than USA DT's. We had 12 countries represented in this years meeting so being an international prosthodontic society it is important for membership to be inclusive instead exclusive. The APS membership application still must have a sponsor that recognizes the new member applicants education or experience in prosthodontics.

There are many highly experienced dental technicians who have chosen not to be a CDT that can now become a member of the APS.

Robert Kreyer CDT

Last edited:
Kreyer

Kreyer

Reaction score

The CD exam must get more difficult and comprehensive on occlusal concepts

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
do they tell you what occlusal concept thay want to see before the test is taken?

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
yes, bilateral balanced. I think they give you a choice of 33 or 20 degree teeth. Been a while so I'm not sure.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Kenneth,

Are referring to the American Prosthodontic Society and changing our bylaws to be more inclusive?

The APS voted to change the bylaws because many non-cdt technicians from other countries could not join. For example MDT's, RDT's etc...
There are many excellent dental technicians that wanted to join but had more experience and education than non-cdt's but could not because of the bylaws.

At this years meeting dental technicians (technologists) from Italy and Mexico were able to join who had more educational requirements than USA DT's. We had 12 countries represented in this years meeting so being an international prosthodontic society it is important for membership to be inclusive instead exclusive. The APS membership application still must have a sponsor that recognizes the new member applicants education or experience in prosthodontics.

There are many highly experienced dental technicians who have chosen not to be a CDT that can now become a member of the APS.

Robert Kreyer CDT

I think opening up the membership was a smart move....

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
yes, bilateral balanced. I think they give you a choice of 33 or 20 degree teeth. Been a while so I'm not sure.

If I remember correctly they specified 20˚ when I took it.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
You guys took it what, 40 years ago;) how do you know it hasn't changed since then?