casting question

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Have found someone who is interested in my burnout ovens, casting machine & torch, but he doesn't have natural gas at his building. He wants to do jewelery, so I'm casting gold and silver.
The only alternates I can think of is propane or acetylene, but my old memory says they burn too dirty.
Please, what are options?

Thanks all
C

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
love is like Qxygen it burns you high together with Propane ok not 3000 C as with Acetylen but 2000 is not bad.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Have found someone who is interested in my burnout ovens, casting machine & torch, but he doesn't have natural gas at his building. He wants to do jewelery, so I'm casting gold and silver.
The only alternates I can think of is propane or acetylene, but my old memory says they burn too dirty.

Thanks all
C
Actually natural gas burns dirty and propane burns clean.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Propane has worked for me in the past as well as other of my lab friends. Hopefully the building fire code would allow for a small tank of it?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

Thanks all
C

He can use oxygen/propane just fine,the acetelene will be too sooty.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Depending on the locality, they may have to put a propane tank outside and pipe it in like is done with a propane range/stove in homes. But propane/oxy is perfectly fine for casting anything but titanium.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I use propane. The torch is from Renfort. I just use the little green bottles.

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Thanks all.
It'll be interesting. He wants to teach jewelry at a charter high school that is located in a still functional wood working mill. The Blu Ox Millworks has an impressive history, and if he can add lost wax casting to the school curriculum, wow

user name

user name

Reaction score
If hes just doing small occasional stuff, bottles of Butane would work fine. Burns cooler than Propane or Map.