casting partial denture frames

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
I'm ceramist at heart......however, is anyone casting partial frames with a torch ?? or, is an induction machine the only way ??

thanks, Orr4

pingvin

pingvin

Reaction score
I never used acetylene, but oxygen and propane-butane mix (ordinary gas mix) I use for about 15 years for CoCr, so for partials and metal-ceramic bridges.

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
i have no trouble casting chrome with oxy-acetylene. Follow a few simple tips and it is trouble free.
--Always use enough clean new alloy
--keep tip of casting torch clean by use of fine sandpaper and thin wire for cleaning orifices.
--use a clean flame which does not produce carbon into alloy, (adjust torch till small inner cone of flame is almost non-apparent)

--fatter flame is better than long and fast flame which could overheat the alloy cause uneven heating or burning.

--know the temperature of alloy from color and temperature/intensity of flame from sound

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
Acetylene is the dirtiest gas you can use.

N

noidea

Reaction score
im having trouble getting enough heat for 3 or 4 ingot of co-cr. using oxy propane and size 15 cutting tip. thinking of buying larger cutting tip maybe size 32?

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Use programmable induction and you will never overheat your metal and lose any of its vital properties.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
I use a multi-orifice tip (11 holes) propane set at 5 lbs. and oxy set at 10 lbs. I use Harris products. Don't buy this stuff the a lab supplier, go to a welding supply house, it's pretty light so you may have to tell them your are making jewelry so they get it.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Just send it to Mark Peters so he can pay off his vital properties.;)