Carestream I/O scanner: Restoration "hybrid" mode

NormC

NormC

Reaction score
Has anyone used this new mode? This is where you scan the quadrant with the prepped tooth, then "brush" around the prepped tooth on the screen with the brush tool, and scan a PBS impression of said tooth,..and the software knits it all together. Supposedly this improves margin accuracy, since no blood, saliva, tissue are in the way.
Seems like extra work, but if it works I guess we'll have to go with it, since we are bedeviled by open margins with this scanner. Even if we send the STL's to other labs, they come back as crowns with open margins.
This hybrid mode comes with the latest software update to Carestream 3600, and there's a youtube video on how to use it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
open margins? what about contacts and occlusion?

NormC

NormC

Reaction score
Contacts and occlusion...no where near as perfect as the marketing materials portray. We had much better, more predictable results with our non-digital lab. I tried sending our STL's to Alienmilling and DADL for design and fabrication (instead of doing it on our own equipment) and they still come back with the same intermittent results. The fact that Carestream came out with this "hybrid" mode tells me I'm not the only "over-sold and under-delivered" I/O scanner customer out there.
I'm thinking a big problem is our crown preps, not the scanner. 80% of the time the margin is partially obscured by tissue, etc, and it's a guessing game in the lab (yes, we've tried laser, double cord, all the fixes you can think of) If this "hybrid" mode doesn't improve our results, I'll get a desktop scanner and go back to stone models?? Not exactly the digital dream they sold us, but we can't keep inconveniencing our patients with re-dos.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ironically this is dental technician appreciation month.
I've come to realize that not all offices are cut out for digital.
My worst pvs clients turned out to be my best digital clients and sadly my best pvs drs are stuggling to scan even the most basic case.
Yes, the scanner needs to see the margin.I suggest leaving the re-cord in while scanning.This has been our solution and it is much easier to see the contrast of dark cord to dentin in colour.

A

a3dl

Reaction score
one of our docs benn using this with his carestream and we have been getting pretty good results 32872