Can you mesh two scans together on implant IOS cases?

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Sometimes, a doctor will send two scans of the implant arch on their IOS cases. One will be of the scan body and the other will be without the scan body. They do this because the contacts can get obscured when the scan body is in place, When designing in 3Shape, I can add a wax up scan to the order and import the scan without the scan body when it prompts me for the preop scan. While this works, it takes away my ability to design the contact areas using the "neighboring tooth undercuts" function. Is there a different way to handle these cases so I don't lose that tool?

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
Meshmixer is your easiest bet, load both scans in oriented with each other, crop the scanbody scan so only the scanbody remains, then either do a boolean union or click the "make solid" option after being combined, and change the parameter to accurate or preserve edges. Export the stl, it sounds like a lot in text but its really a 20 sec process tops

I can make a quick video on the process if that helps

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
If there is a separate scanbody scan, you have to acvtivate "seperate gingiva scan" in the Order Form.
This will be availlable after selecting "digital scan" as object type ( sorry for bad translation of my german version ).

Then, when importing the scans, 3shape will ask for the scanbmarker scan and will just use it for orientation and you don't need to edit out the scanbody.

cheers

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Meshmixer is your easiest bet, load both scans in oriented with each other, crop the scanbody scan so only the scanbody remains, then either do a boolean union or click the "make solid" option after being combined, and change the parameter to accurate or preserve edges. Export the stl, it sounds like a lot in text but its really a 20 sec process tops

I can make a quick video on the process if that helps
This is a blind spot for me. I have meshmixer, but I have never used it successfully. Let me see if I can figure out how to do what you describe. Thanks!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@ToofMaker Brett may figure out or work through your steps, but would you mind making the video for me? I'm using 3Shape and am getting, will be getting more I/O implant scans in and that may come in helpful for myself in the future. Especially since I've never used Meshmixer before.

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
@ToofMaker Brett may figure out or work through your steps, but would you mind making the video for me? I'm using 3Shape and am getting, will be getting more I/O implant scans in and that may come in helpful for myself in the future. Especially since I've never used Meshmixer before.
Yeah thats no problem, just need a chance to find some scans laying around to use as an example, l post the video at aome point today

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Yeah thats no problem, just need a chance to find some scans laying around to use as an example, l post the video at aome point today
Thank you :) If you want to wait and see if Brett figures it out so that you don't have to take the time to get a video together, I absolutely understand. I just don't want to take advantage of your kindness, your kind offer :)

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
sorry for the double post but i just got admin-released :D and i think i have a crucial answer for Bret:

----------------------------------------------------------

If there is a separate scanbody scan, you have to acvtivate "seperate gingiva scan" in the Order Form.
This will be availlable after selecting "digital scan" as object type ( sorry for bad translation of my german version ).

Then, when importing the scans, 3shape will ask for the scanbmarker scan and will just use it for orientation and you don't need to edit out the scanbody.

cheers

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
Ill post a few vids for different scenarios, this is the simplest methods and works under the condition that the scanbody mesh is intersecting the prep mesh

This is the method I use if needbe when the scanbody is not intersecting the prep mesh

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score

cheers
What version of 3Shape are you using? My options are "waxup/preprep" and "add additional scan" after I choose "Digital Impression" for the object type. I am still using 2019.

EDIT: Nevermind. Once I clicked on abutment, the "giginva scan" option popped up! thank!!!

Last edited:
E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
We updated to 2022, but we recently had 2019 too.

I just double checked and you have to indicate a tooth as Abutment too befor this option shows up.

You must indicate a tooth as "Abutment" also, then there will be a little symbol popping up it looks like "2 adjacent tooths" saying "Gingivascan" on hover.
it will be right next to the "waxup" option you already see.

cheers

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Ill post a few vids for different scenarios, this is the simplest methods and works under the condition that the scanbody mesh is intersecting the prep mesh

This is the method I use if needbe when the scanbody is not intersecting the prep mesh

Thank you very much, ToofMaker, I appreciate it :)

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Spoiler Alert! Brett figured it out!! :) I've had Meshmixer on my computer for four years and I have never used it successfully until today!

Thank you Toof! I will be referring to these videos in the future when I encounter other issues where Meshmixer may help fix a problem.

cheers
This worked great! Thanks for sharing!

We only work 4 days a week now. I will head into the weekend with a feeling of accomplishment now. I love learning new things. Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge and experience. It's how we all get better. :)

Top Bottom