Can I Mix Ortho Acrylic Brands?

TMNT120

TMNT120

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sitting my BC RDT practical exam at the end of July and I have a Dentsply Orthodontic Resin Kit that I used last year to make ortho appliances. Not sure if I'm going to have enough powder and monomer to practice and for the final exam.

My question is, if I can find a cheaper brand, could I possibly mix them and get a good result? Maybe even nail salon-type acrylic since it's not going into a patient's mouth?

If anyone has some suggestions that would be welcome too! Thanks

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sitting my BC RDT practical exam at the end of July and I have a Dentsply Orthodontic Resin Kit that I used last year to make ortho appliances. Not sure if I'm going to have enough powder and monomer to practice and for the final exam.

My question is, if I can find a cheaper brand, could I possibly mix them and get a good result? Maybe even nail salon-type acrylic since it's not going into a patient's mouth?

Generally mixing between manufacturers will give you headaches and unexpected results.
Every denture acrylic brand in my lab each has different ratios with different curing temperatures and pressures for their proper use.
You have enough to work on. Learning the pitfalls working properties and mechanical tempermant of a frankencrylic material will just lose you time. And hair.

Nail acrylics are similar, but may have different properties for shrink/expand, setting time, working properties, etc.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Generally mixing between manufacturers will give you headaches and unexpected results.
Every denture acrylic brand in my lab each has different ratios with different curing temperatures and pressures for their proper use.
You have enough to work on. Learning the pitfalls working properties and mechanical tempermant of a frankencrylic material will just lose you time. And hair.

Nail acrylics are similar, but may have different properties for shrink/expand, setting time, working properties, etc.
Not to mention chemical initiators in monomer... Lots to go off the rails.

TMNT120

TMNT120

Reaction score

Not to mention chemical initiators in monomer... Lots to go off the rails.

Thanks guys! Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy some more expensive Dentsply Ortho Resin then:arghh:

The last thing I need for an exam that I'm repeating is another unknown variable for the sake of saving some money.

Does anybody know roughly how many grams of acrylic powder I should expect to use for one schwartz appliance?

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy some more expensive Dentsply Ortho Resin then:arghh:

The last thing I need for an exam that I'm repeating is another unknown variable for the sake of saving some money.

Does anybody know roughly how many grams of acrylic powder I should expect to use for one schwartz appliance?

I am pretty astounded at how cheap you are. That you are even THINKING about using a foreign material for something as important as your exam.... Go buy the material you are used to using and pass that exam.... spend 50 bux on your education.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Not much, but design differences alone can double or halve the amount. So can your abilities and training on how much overbuilding and grindback is acceptable.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
I am pretty astounded at how cheap you are. That you are even THINKING about using a foreign material for something as important as your exam.... Go buy the material you are used to using and pass that exam.... spend 50 bux on your education.

giphy.gif

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

I wouldn't mix but an idea would be to knock on as many orthodontists office doors as possible and let them know that you are poor, that you are taking an exam and if they had a little of the acrylic that you could borrow to take the exam. If they say no, ask them to wish you luck and move to the next office. You are doing two things here: getting your foot thru the door for a possible account and not paying for the high price acrylic just to take a test . I wasn't shy when I started out, I did exactly theses kind of things. I went to an orthodontists office and spent a week having him show me how to bend wire, what a pest I was lol.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
That guy don't look like poverty to me... his shirt and tie are worth more than all my tshirts....not including the ones with the sleeves cut off though...
Starting off your career tripping over dollars to pick up pennies....... AUGER TIME.

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
The acrylic is kind of pricey just to take a test. I was going to buy and send you some , but there isn't an easy or economical way to do that with the dply resin. I'll keep looking and if I find some at a good price I'll be in touch and see what we can do, otherwise asking the dentists is a valid option, most are very supportive.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
The acrylic is kind of pricey just to take a test. I was going to buy and send you some , but there isn't an easy or economical way to do that with the dply resin. I'll keep looking and if I find some at a good price I'll be in touch and see what we can do, otherwise asking the dentists is a valid option, most are very supportive.
If several of us chipped in it wouldn't be so much. I'll help, anybody else willing to help a fellow tech?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If several of us chipped in it wouldn't be so much. I'll help, anybody else willing to help a fellow tech?
I’ll chip in if you’ve got an easy way to do it. PayPal?
How much is this stuff?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
How about just sending him/her a bit of said acrylic? I know hazard material etc. but if you wrap it nicely i don't see a problem.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
My usual suppler costs around $100 for 1lb powder in liquid. Most other suppliers are now making you sign in to see price

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I’ll chip in if someone PM’s a way to send it. A PayPal email or an address to mail it works.

TMNT120

TMNT120

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the offers! I really appreciate it.:) I think I have enough for the exam though. Just wanted some as a backup just in case something goes horribly wrong and I have to start over mid-examBeer