Can I make surgical guides with non dental resins and phrosen mini 4K printer ?

K

Krycek

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to make surgical guides (and more if possible) but I don’t have access to dental resins, only non dental. In fact I can only be delivered from Amazon.

Can i make it work with a phrozen mini 4k printer and phrozen non dental resins ?
If possible with which parameters ?

I can also buy a cure station. This one :

ANYCUBIC Wash and Cure Station, Newest Upgraded 2 in 1 Wash and Cure 2.0 Machine for Mars Anycubic Photon S Photon Mono LCD SLA DLP 3D Printer Models UV Rotary Curing Resin Box​

Those are some phrozen resins :

Phrozen Aqua Blue Resin for 3D Printing ,405nm LCD UV-Curing Photopolymer Resin for Low Shrinkage, Vivid Blue Color, Low Odor, Non-Brittle (1KG)​

PHROZEN 3D Printer Water-Washable Rapid Resin, Model Gray 405nm LCD UV-Curing Photopolymer Resin for High Precision Printing, Low Odor, Non-Brittle, Easy to Print, Easy to Clean and Cure (1KG)​

Phrozen Functional Resin - TR250LV High Temp Resin, 1KG​

Can you please help me to make it work ?

G

GH23

Reaction score
You could do a test print to see what it looks like, but you really need to use approved materials.

You don't need use very much of the material each print, so it will last a long time.

The nextdent materials have settings for phrozen printers, but there still might be some trial and error. (perhaps some other brands too)

The typical (non-dental) resins can be pretty irritating to skin if you get them on your hands.

T

TonyTheMachine

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to make surgical guides (and more if possible) but I don’t have access to dental resins, only non dental. In fact I can only be delivered from Amazon.

Can i make it work with a phrozen mini 4k printer and phrozen non dental resins ?

ANYCUBIC Wash and Cure Station, Newest Upgraded 2 in 1 Wash and Cure 2.0 Machine for Mars Anycubic Photon S Photon Mono LCD SLA DLP 3D Printer Models UV Rotary Curing Resin Box​

Phrozen Aqua Blue Resin for 3D Printing ,405nm LCD UV-Curing Photopolymer Resin for Low Shrinkage, Vivid Blue Color, Low Odor, Non-Brittle (1KG)​

PHROZEN 3D Printer Water-Washable Rapid Resin, Model Gray 405nm LCD UV-Curing Photopolymer Resin for High Precision Printing, Low Odor, Non-Brittle, Easy to Print, Easy to Clean and Cure (1KG)​

Yes, what GH23 said is right. Resin materials have to be FDA approved to go in the mouth, so surgical guide and night guard materials have to be approved materials. ie. nextdent, whipmix, keystone, etc. And cleaning and curing is very important. You want a curing unit that is recommended by the manufacturer of the resin as well.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hi,

Why can’t you buy a dental
Resin if you are making surgical guide? Are you not a registered dental tech or Lab? I am using a dental resin that has all the specs to run on a non dental printer and it is water soluble too. Wash with water and cure.

K

Krycek

Reaction score
Why can’t you buy a dental
Resin if you are making surgical guide? Are you not a registered dental tech or Lab? I am using a dental resin that has all the specs to run on a non dental printer and it is water soluble too. Wash with water and cure.

Known dental resins don’t ship to my coutry unfortunately. I found 2 brands : eSun and iFun dental resins that may be found to my lab. Guess I need to find my own parameters ?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I was of the understanding that if you don't cure the material in an inert environment, it will cause the splint/guide, to taste bad.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I was of the understanding that if you don't cure the material in an inert environment, it will cause the splint/guide, to taste bad.
Unless the manufacturer has all the parameters for an after market printer which in this case the manufacturer listed a bunch or printers with all needs info.

doug

doug

Reaction score
That's an interesting view. We use KeySplint hard and cure it in the Asiga light unit( which surprisingly, looks just like a fake-nail curing unit) and there hasn't been any comment regards the flavor. I'll ask the women in the office next door. We used them as test patients to get our parameters set.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
That's an interesting view. We use KeySplint hard and cure it in the Asiga light unit( which surprisingly, looks just like a fake-nail curing unit) and there hasn't been any comment regards the flavor. I'll ask the women in the office next door. We used them as test patients to get our parameters set.
From my understanding, if you don't cure that material(we use Keysplint Soft for splints) in an inert environment(nitrogen) then oxidation takes place which leads to the "bad" taste. I am not sure if there are any other issues with not using an approved curing unit for that material. Once we got an Otto Flash, we stopped using the nail salon curing unit :)

doug

doug

Reaction score
So I spoke with Keystone this morning. If you are using a resin that has been verified by keystone for use in your particular printer you do not need to cure in an inert environment. The biggest problem they told me about was not making sure that you clean the print before the final cure. That is an important aspect of the process. BTW, that Otto Flash look just like an updated vdersion of the curing unit for a composite system that was on the market 35-40 years ago. I can't remember the name as the system didn't "get legs" as the had hoped. Maybe it will now as that a nice option when building composite crowns.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
So I spoke with Keystone this morning. If you are using a resin that has been verified by keystone for use in your particular printer you do not need to cure in an inert environment. The biggest problem they told me about was not making sure that you clean the print before the final cure. That is an important aspect of the process. BTW, that Otto Flash look just like an updated vdersion of the curing unit for a composite system that was on the market 35-40 years ago. I can't remember the name as the system didn't "get legs" as the had hoped. Maybe it will now as that a nice option when building composite crowns.
This is very interesting. I literally waited six months after we purchased our printer to start doing splints because I was waiting to purchase a backordered curing unit that was half the cost of the Otto Flash. Oh well. The Otto Flash is faster and it penetrates deeper than the nail salon curing unit. Thanks for sharing that info Doug