Can I make an abutment in my 3 shape using a sirona scan?

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
One of my sirona doctors sent me a scan today requesting an abutment and Crown be made with his scan.

We are at 3 shape lab and I can't imagine how this would work because the sirona scans we use are stl's.

This is not possible correct?

Briefly looked at the scans before I left work today, looks like a Straumann scan body within the scan.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
this is totally possible, who told you it wasn't?

in 3 shape just select implant first, designate the correct implant THEN select crown. all done at same time, not a big problem.

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
But if the STL contains the scan body itself as part of the file, how is this possible?

It won't disappear Like a trios scan would???

Does that make sense?

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
this is totally possible, who told you it wasn't?

in 3 shape just select implant first, designate the correct implant THEN select crown. all done at same time, not a big problem.

I should point out, I've only done crowns and bridges with sirona files, there are always two files, an upper and a lower that must be trimmed in meshmixer before importing to 3 shape.

It sounds to me like you're saying sirona files with an abutment scan body and order will be separated differently than a regular crown?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
use the sculpt toolkit. once the implant is placed in the scan, the scan body can be sculpted off. if you absolutely can't figure it out, chop it into 2 orders, do the abutment first, use the "Append to scan" function, chop off the scan body and design the crown.

importing the scans as "digital impression" gives you the ability to trim the scans, close holes, and design models. don't know why you'd need meshmixer.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
absolute worst case scenario dupe the scan, align them using GOM, snip the scan body off the working file, snip the working file off the scan body, import them as separate objects. really overworking yourself for this though.

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
use the sculpt toolkit. once the implant is placed in the scan, the scan body can be sculpted off. if you absolutely can't figure it out, chop it into 2 orders, do the abutment first, use the "Append to scan" function, chop off the scan body and design the crown.

importing the scans as "digital impression" gives you the ability to trim the scans, close holes, and design models. don't know why you'd need meshmixer.

Did not know that would work, as I said this would be the first abutment made from STL files. what about printing models?

3shape model builder won't let you alter stl's without freezing at the very end in my experience.

That was part of the original question, I totally forgot to add that aspect of my question. doh!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
model builder is really buggy though. its not difficult to get models, its just frustrating pulling your hair out fussing over them in some cases. as its still not optimized for multicore, you can be waiting a while at the last step. model builder will want well and truly finished models to work on, so do all the hole closing, error correcting and trimming in the Design window, not in model builder.

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
model builder is really buggy though. its not difficult to get models, its just frustrating pulling your hair out fussing over them in some cases. as its still not optimized for multicore, you can be waiting a while at the last step. model builder will want well and truly finished models to work on, so do all the hole closing, error correcting and trimming in the Design window, not in model builder.

Thanks for all the info bro! I knew this would require a lot of thought and extraordinary efforts.

Appreciate it!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If the scan have cerec scan bodies then no, has to be done in sirona world, but is scan has, Dess, nt trading, straumann, elos etc yes it can be just need the corresponding library installed in 3shape.

Now the disappearing scan body thing. Trios workflow is scan arch with out scan body and no healing cap, emergence profile scan, then scan with scan body abutmentalignmentscan, then opposing and bite and preop if enabled in order.

Other IO scanner dont adopt this scan flow. Like itero prep arch, opposing and bite. So you must scan the scan body in the prep scan only. But with the newer itero i tell my client add a pre op and scan the prep arch with no scan flag or healing cap to capture the socket for emergence design. then in the 3shape i rename files to get it to work like trios work flow.

But planscan can do the same work flow using pre op scan as emergence scan.

But if you only get one scan with the scan body, and no emergence profile scan, I simply make the same scan into the abutment alignment scan and extract the scan flag out of the scan in the sculpt on prep scan step and create a small socket.

the scan doesn't disappear, it just is used for one purpose, to align the scan flag to the scan. that's all. it is still in the case folder.

so yes it is possible as long as it is not a cerec scan flag.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

2020 like a charm bro. But i have found itero ditched scan to have issue and they are on the underside of the scan, a lot or overlapping data and flashes. But i called itero and requested they remove the ditching option so all the scan now come across one piece no ditch. fixed 98% of my problems. but usually on the indie of the scan lies the problem. But i have heard cerec scans can be a pain, but also remember using the refine scan feature on the first step of design helps fix a good amount of issues. i'm on a quad core i7 no problems.

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
If the scan have cerec scan bodies then no, has to be done in sirona world, but is scan has, Dess, nt trading, straumann, elos etc yes it can be just need the corresponding library installed in 3shape.

Now the disappearing scan body thing. Trios workflow is scan arch with out scan body and no healing cap, emergence profile scan, then scan with scan body abutmentalignmentscan, then opposing and bite and preop if enabled in order.

Other IO scanner dont adopt this scan flow. Like itero prep arch, opposing and bite. So you must scan the scan body in the prep scan only. But with the newer itero i tell my client add a pre op and scan the prep arch with no scan flag or healing cap to capture the socket for emergence design. then in the 3shape i rename files to get it to work like trios work flow.

But planscan can do the same work flow using pre op scan as emergence scan.

But if you only get one scan with the scan body, and no emergence profile scan, I simply make the same scan into the abutment alignment scan and extract the scan flag out of the scan in the sculpt on prep scan step and create a small socket.

the scan doesn't disappear, it just is used for one purpose, to align the scan flag to the scan. that's all. it is still in the case folder.

so yes it is possible as long as it is not a cerec scan flag.

You are absolutely correct, I was able to get it done yesterday.

The doctor did use an authentic Straumann scan body and he did give me a gingiva scan as well.

Surprisingly the whole thing came out flawless, model and all!!

Thanks for chiming in!