Can anyone solder this hole closed?

D

David Laville

Reaction score
I apologize if this is in the wrong section. This is a partial I made a while back and the patient wore a hole in the anterior section. I tried soldering it but my torch keeps going out before I can get the metal and solder hot. Does anyone think they can solder this hole closed? I want to give this a try before remaking it. PM me please. 20180909_233452.jpg

doug

doug

Reaction score
Why not fill it with acrylic?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is in the wrong section. This is a partial I made a while back and the patient wore a hole in the anterior section. I tried soldering it but my torch keeps going out before I can get the metal and solder hot. Does anyone think they can solder this hole closed? I want to give this a try before remaking it. PM me please. View attachment 30837
Closing the hole it will be treating the symptom, not the cause.

They are able to chew through the metal as it happened over time while chewing through the rest of the teeth. Just closing the hole will make their lower central hit that before any other tooth makes contact. Possibly chipping the natural tooth. And making it impossible to fully close.

This thing needs a retread to properly fix the problem, otherwise you'll be getting a nasty phone call when the pt comes back complaining. If you've already had that conversation with the doc, I appologize for assuming you haven't. I had this exact conversation with one of mine last week who didn't understand this either.

D

David Laville

Reaction score
Closing the hole it will be treating the symptom, not the cause.

They are able to chew through the metal as it happened over time while chewing through the rest of the teeth. Just closing the hole will make their lower central hit that before any other tooth makes contact. Possibly chipping the natural tooth. And making it impossible to fully close.

This thing needs a retread to properly fix the problem, otherwise you'll be getting a nasty phone call when the pt comes back complaining. If you've already had that conversation with the doc, I appologize for assuming you haven't. I had this exact conversation with one of mine last week who didn't understand this either.

The doctor knew it was a close bite. When the patient brought it back he told me to do what I could to fix it and he would adjust the opposing tooth..

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'd send it to Bob Hicks (Hicks Dental Lab, 810 984-4070 ) in Port Huron, Michigan. The guy is a wizard when it comes to laser welding and I'm pretty sure if anyone can do it, he can!!!

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Easy fix. Utilizing a laser welder. You can weld, Titanium, CR Colbalt, and gold. Partial frames,
Ti bars, crown margins, holes & contacts.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I apologize if this is in the wrong section. This is a partial I made a while back and the patient wore a hole in the anterior section. I tried soldering it but my torch keeps going out before I can get the metal and solder hot. Does anyone think they can solder this hole closed? I want to give this a try before remaking it. PM me please. View attachment 30837
Laser weld can do it easily with no heat.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I would not bother. Remake.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
That shoe is wore out.... just look at the teeth. Laser beam weld that hole closed, adjust the lower anteriors, put some new teeth on those posterior saddles and BAM-be a superhero. BAM. It will last longer than the patient.

D

David Laville

Reaction score
Easy fix. Utilizing a laser welder. You can weld, Titanium, CR Colbalt, and gold. Partial frames,
Ti bars, crown margins, holes & contacts.

I use to do the laser welding at a lab I worked.

D

David Laville

Reaction score
I'd send it to Bob Hicks (Hicks Dental Lab, 810 984-4070 ) in Port Huron, Michigan. The guy is a wizard when it comes to laser welding and I'm pretty sure if anyone can do it, he can!!!

I use to do it at a lab I worked that had a laser welder. This is the first time I've needed a laser weld in 5 years, hence the reason I don't have one.

A

Anton Trofimenko

Reaction score
I got some prices on laser welding and it would actually be cheaper to remake it.

Not sure how much it will cost you to re-make, but we charge $80 for laser welding in case you are still considering going that route.