Can a lab get in trouble for using non authentic parts?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Some 3rd party parts will have a similar warrenty to the OEM part to help give labs and Dr's the confidence to use them. I think in reality you are almost never going to see an implant fail do to a 3rd party abutment. Also I think we are only talking about FDA cleared parts though Illidan has a point with some labs manufacturing without proper FDA complience/approval, but I feel like thats a slightly seperate issue. So in general the parts should be good to go and should not lead to failure. So to add to what Brett said, I think the biggest thing that can happen, which this whole thread highlites is if you aren't being honest about what you are using, when people inevitably find out whether through failure or observation they will lose trust in you and you will lose clients
I’ve read the articles from the implant manufacturers claiming that third party parts will lead to failures, but I do agree with you it’s unlikely to see a failure from a third party part. What about specifically the zimmer to bio horizons connection? Cuz that’s what I am worried about, with the fact one has a one degree taper and one doesn’t, and the zimmer conical connection doesn’t have the same height as biohorizons I worry that can definetly be a cause for concern, even more so than third party parts? As far as that conical connection not being snug, and providing an opportunity for bacteria and early implant failure? I just wanta know if that’s a legitimate concern or if it’s unlikely to happen?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
we ask new dr whether dr wants generic or authentic. then we put in under dr preference. i rarely had generic custom ti abut fail.
Ha! Generic vs Authentic. Do your generic abutments come in a white box that just says "ABUTMENT" on the outside?

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I’ve read the articles from the implant manufacturers claiming that third party parts will lead to failures, but I do agree with you it’s unlikely to see a failure from a third party part. What about specifically the zimmer to bio horizons connection? Cuz that’s what I am worried about, with the fact one has a one degree taper and one doesn’t, and the zimmer conical connection doesn’t have the same height as biohorizons I worry that can definetly be a cause for concern, even more so than third party parts? As far as that conical connection not being snug, and providing an opportunity for bacteria and early implant failure? I just wanta know if that’s a legitimate concern or if it’s unlikely to happen?
Ah, yes, I meant to wrap that post up with a return to the original reason for the thread, which I feel like we have drifted away from. To start I still stick with, make sure the Dr. is good with whichever parts are being used first. It has always been my understanding that biohorizons will work on a zimmer implant without a problem. The only substantial difference I was aware of was that zimmer used a 1degree taper as you mentioned to create a cold weld (maybe the wrong term) and if that feature was important to the dr. then they would probably want only genuine parts used. Glancing at BioHorizons site it appears they may be utilizing something like this as well? As for the height difference of the interfaces, I would consider non engaging parts as an example that would suggest this isn't a problem. Of course non engaging parts are being bridged, but still, the are always very shallow and angled offering very little physical retention with the abutment.

I did try to dive in and find info directly from someones website and it seems that most places I recall seeing information suggesting these two being compatable is gone, which does concern me a little, at the least they are probably trying to push people away from doing this. The closesest thing I could find was this page on BioHorizons website. https://usstore.biohorizons.com/res...mmer-implants-with-simple-solutions-abutments

So to wrap up, it probably is fine, but a BioHorizon and a Zimmer are both genuine parts for their own company, why not just use the correct genuine part? Or if you want to go 3rd party, use one 3rd party and get their parts that are intended for each? This also avoids confusion with their color coding systems causing it to look at a glance like the incorrect part was used

E

EDR

Reaction score
¿Qué pasa específicamente con la conexión de zimmer a biohorizons?
King Para ser lo más claro posible, un pilar zimmer no es compatible con un implante biohorizons porque encajar un hexágono macho de 2,45 mm cónico entre caras en un hexágono hembra de 2,41 mm recto entrará solo la parte cónica que lo permite. Llegará un punto donde las superficies se encuentren y por más que lo ajuste no sellará con la plataforma del implante ( tendrá un gap ideal para bacterias) por la movilidad no se preocupe porque quedara perfectamente ajustado. Un pilar biohorizons en un implante zimmer si es compatible porque un hexágono macho de 2,41 mm acoplado a un hexágono hembra de 2,45mm cónico (de un grado) las dos superficies se encuentran muy al final del hexágono permitiendo que halla un sellado con la plataforma (sin gap) y por el cono una fijación sin rotación.

Top Bottom