CAM Software comparison

V

Victor DQ

Reaction score
I understand, but I would like to make jewelry with my icore 450i.
I often use 0.25mm even 0.125mm tool on my other machine for jewelry, but its not a 5axis machine.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I often use 0.25mm even 0.125mm tool on my other machine for jewelry, but its not a 5axis machine.
i suggest you buy a cam package that will let you write your own toolpaths and add custom tools. for that, you might have to move out of the dental world. we've been using worknc and while it is kinda easy to write your own sequence and add new tools and such, there is a lot of trial and error. its the only thing i'd know off hand CAN acheive what you're after.

but theres probably other options. just not millbox.

V

Victor DQ

Reaction score
These are the list of CAM pack for iCore Machine : Sum3D and MillBox (CIMSystems),exocam (ModuleWorks),Dental Softworks and Hyperdent. and, iCAM is the proprietary name that imes gives Sum3D.
Is WorkNC produce the post for icore machines?

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score

Hi. maybe printing jewelry would be easier. I know Envisiontec makes a printer that can print jewelry easy man !

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
These are the list of CAM pack for iCore Machine : Sum3D and MillBox (CIMSystems),exocam (ModuleWorks),Dental Softworks and Hyperdent. and, iCAM is the proprietary name that imes gives Sum3D.
Is WorkNC produce the post for icore machines?
i'm not entirely sure, but i'm pretty sure @Rosenthalron68 would know for imes what WorkNC would be capable of doing for you.

V

Victor DQ

Reaction score
Hi. maybe printing jewelry would be easier. I know Envisiontec makes a printer that can print jewelry easy man !
I know, I do have a printer but have pros and cons. I have to cut metals with my machine.

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
I am considering buying a new mill but realized they come with different software even for the same mill. I am looking into Roland or Preciso mill and some have SUM3D or Millbox or Hyperdent depending on who sells them or in case of Preciso it's their own CAM software. Which software do you guys recommend? Are some easier to work with? Less expensive? Which software is a good choice and how do they compare?
I have been using a Roland DWX-50 with a 3shape D800 for 5 years and I love it. I am considering upgrading to a newer version of Roland Mill but honestly my mill runs so great I’m kind of afraid to trade it in. I may just wait a couple years and get a new mill and then have 2. I use SUM 3D and it work well but I’ve been talked into changing over to Millbox. I don’t have any experience but someone I trust very much says it’s a huge improvement to SUM3d. It has an undo option and is much more user friendly I’m told that SUM3d. How this helps

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
I have been using a Roland DWX-50 with a 3shape D800 for 5 years and I love it. I am considering upgrading to a newer version of Roland Mill but honestly my mill runs so great I’m kind of afraid to trade it in. I may just wait a couple years and get a new mill and then have 2. I use SUM 3D and it work well but I’ve been talked into changing over to Millbox. I don’t have any experience but someone I trust very much says it’s a huge improvement to SUM3d. It has an undo option and is much more user friendly I’m told that SUM3d. How this helps
Sorry for the typos I need to proof my writing (I’m told it’s more user friendly than SUM3d, I hope this helps? )

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Agree, keep the mill and have it as a back up when you get a new one. It's a known factor, you know how it performs and operates.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yes the old roland had some good performance aspects to it, however other things made it clunky and a bit poor.

for example the material holder, much improved in newer versions. Rigidity, far better in something like a VHF. cutting plastics, much nicer results in almost any other machine on the market.

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
yes the old roland had some good performance aspects to it, however other things made it clunky and a bit poor.

for example the material holder, much improved in newer versions. Rigidity, far better in something like a VHF. cutting plastics, much nicer results in almost any other machine on the market.
Interested to know what you are working with?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you and everyone else in the universe :)

suffice it to say i'm trying to go down the custom path, not an off-the-shelf solution.

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
I am playing with a demo version of Millbox and find out that the smallest tool it can use is 0.3mm.
Is there any CAM package that can utilize smaller tool bits?
Also is there any CAM that can do manual G code editing with drilling commend?
Even wanted to see if I can set up the custom-made job holder.

Hi Victor, it seems like your case is one of the rare instances where the hyperDENT Template Generator is a must-have CAM package! Many people would say it's the easiest template modification tool in the dental world... and I'd definitely agree. Adding tools (smaller than 0.3mm) and applying them to a toolpath or milling strategy is so easy that it requires absolutely no machining or coding experience. Of course you can modify the G code in the NC output as well, or through our postprocessor tools, but you wouldn't need to.

Imilling sells imes-icore machines with hyperDENT, I'd highly suggest engaging with them. Just send me a message if you'd like for information, we're actually working on a similar project with them right now. Or if you have your eye on another machine, let me know!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Real world problems, lol. I have used sum 3d way back in 2012 and it is a powerful cam but it really is too much for a new user. Millbox is a simplified sum3d click n go style but powered by sum3d's engine in the background. I hear the newest version and strategies in millbox utilize the 64bit windows and runs much faster now. Hyperdent will calculate faster than sum3d and on the 51D full arch cases it will mill inward from the side of the disk in order to get amazing anterior results on full arch cases. But again it is a very powerful cam and may require good training. I forgot what the preciso cam is maybe a dumned down version of hyperdent.

I personally run DS-Cam Dental Softworks or wieland cam on all my wieland and vhf mills. Fast simple and easy to use. Other options are Work NC and a few others. Just make sure what ever cam you get can run multiple types of mills just in case you get another brand down the road ad all the mills are cammed off the same cam resulting in one database of disks and you not having to run 2 to 3 different cams and have 2 to 3 different sets of disks. Others will soon chime in with more info, just do your research before you commit, also sum3d and hyperdent will run demos on your mill if you already have one so you can see the results for your self.

If i were you i would go with the Roland DWX 51D, what Preciso were you looking into 4 or 5axis?
just to revisit this @Sevan P .... now that its been a couple years. we are considering moving away from sum3d (finally i know lol) and would love feedback regarding millbox vs hyperdent or whatever other software you think is well worth the investment. we havent had any major issues with sum3d, but its about time we upgraded and get with the times haha.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
From yesterday afternoons Labday Online Argen's webinar on Millbox v.2021, I believe.
I also think he said Argen would be making the video available. They did a good job, it may be worth watching.

advantages - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
just to revisit this @Sevan P .... now that its been a couple years. we are considering moving away from sum3d (finally i know lol) and would love feedback regarding millbox vs hyperdent or whatever other software you think is well worth the investment. we havent had any major issues with sum3d, but its about time we upgraded and get with the times haha.
LOL Millbox is sum3d for dummies! Millbox is driver by Sum3d just easier UI that's all. Millbox vs hyperdent, apples vs oranges my friend. Depends on how serious you want to get with hyperdent, it can cost some shiny pennies. But you can do a lot with it.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
LOL Millbox is sum3d for dummies! Millbox is driver by Sum3d just easier UI that's all. Millbox vs hyperdent, apples vs oranges my friend. Depends on how serious you want to get with hyperdent, it can cost some shiny pennies. But you can do a lot with it.
so would you suggest sticking w sum3d then? we are comfortable with it, just had to change support companies since zahn f*cked everything up royally when we moved to a new pc

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
so would you suggest sticking w sum3d then? we are comfortable with it, just had to change support companies since zahn f*cked everything up royally when we moved to a new pc
If everything is working fine then yes. But if your looking got something better i would not go Millbox. But look into hyper and see if they can give you a demo.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
If everything is working fine then yes. But if your looking got something better i would not go Millbox. But look into hyper and see if they can give you a demo.
ok then we will get the crap fixed up that zahn screwed up and stick with sum3d, maybe try a demo of hyperdent. thanks!

Top Bottom