CAM Software comparison

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
I am considering buying a new mill but realized they come with different software even for the same mill. I am looking into Roland or Preciso mill and some have SUM3D or Millbox or Hyperdent depending on who sells them or in case of Preciso it's their own CAM software. Which software do you guys recommend? Are some easier to work with? Less expensive? Which software is a good choice and how do they compare?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Real world problems, lol. I have used sum 3d way back in 2012 and it is a powerful cam but it really is too much for a new user. Millbox is a simplified sum3d click n go style but powered by sum3d's engine in the background. I hear the newest version and strategies in millbox utilize the 64bit windows and runs much faster now. Hyperdent will calculate faster than sum3d and on the 51D full arch cases it will mill inward from the side of the disk in order to get amazing anterior results on full arch cases. But again it is a very powerful cam and may require good training. I forgot what the preciso cam is maybe a dumned down version of hyperdent.

I personally run DS-Cam Dental Softworks or wieland cam on all my wieland and vhf mills. Fast simple and easy to use. Other options are Work NC and a few others. Just make sure what ever cam you get can run multiple types of mills just in case you get another brand down the road ad all the mills are cammed off the same cam resulting in one database of disks and you not having to run 2 to 3 different cams and have 2 to 3 different sets of disks. Others will soon chime in with more info, just do your research before you commit, also sum3d and hyperdent will run demos on your mill if you already have one so you can see the results for your self.

If i were you i would go with the Roland DWX 51D, what Preciso were you looking into 4 or 5axis?

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
Real world problems, lol. I have used sum 3d way back in 2012 and it is a powerful cam but it really is too much for a new user. Millbox is a simplified sum3d click n go style but powered by sum3d's engine in the background. I hear the newest version and strategies in millbox utilize the 64bit windows and runs much faster now. Hyperdent will calculate faster than sum3d and on the 51D full arch cases it will mill inward from the side of the disk in order to get amazing anterior results on full arch cases. But again it is a very powerful cam and may require good training. I forgot what the preciso cam is maybe a dumned down version of hyperdent.

I personally run DS-Cam Dental Softworks or wieland cam on all my wieland and vhf mills. Fast simple and easy to use. Other options are Work NC and a few others. Just make sure what ever cam you get can run multiple types of mills just in case you get another brand down the road ad all the mills are cammed off the same cam resulting in one database of disks and you not having to run 2 to 3 different cams and have 2 to 3 different sets of disks. Others will soon chime in with more info, just do your research before you commit, also sum3d and hyperdent will run demos on your mill if you already have one so you can see the results for your self.

If i were you i would go with the Roland DWX 51D, what Preciso were you looking into 4 or 5axis?

Thank you for the valuable information. So I understand that one type of software can be more user friendly and other not as much? Do some have limitations and won't perform the functions that other software will? or they pretty much do the same thing but in a different way? Good point of having the same software for multiple mills, btw. I don't have a mill yet and from what I understand, I have to get the software I am offered by the supplier, so once I know which software is user friendly and reliable, I will know which supplier to go with. Except for Preciso 5 axis which only has one software. I am only interested in 5 axis machine.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thank you for the valuable information. So I understand that one type of software can be more user friendly and other not as much? Do some have limitations and won't perform the functions that other software will? or they pretty much do the same thing but in a different way? Good point of having the same software for multiple mills, btw. I don't have a mill yet and from what I understand, I have to get the software I am offered by the supplier, so once I know which software is user friendly and reliable, I will know which supplier to go with. Except for Preciso 5 axis which only has one software. I am only interested in 5 axis machine.

Sum3d, Hyperdent and Work NC all are capable of doing the same thing, hyperdent will calculate bigger cases much faster then millbox and sum3d. None of the listed software has limitations. They just might handle setting up stuff slightly differently that's all.

5axis is a great choice. Preciso you have to get with the software but you can always upgrade later. But when you buy a roland you can simply just buy the mill and get any software you like. This is why it is important to find a retailer that has the ability to help you out on the cam software.

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
Sum3d, Hyperdent and Work NC all are capable of doing the same thing, hyperdent will calculate bigger cases much faster then millbox and sum3d. None of the listed software has limitations. They just might handle setting up stuff slightly differently that's all.

5axis is a great choice. Preciso you have to get with the software but you can always upgrade later. But when you buy a roland you can simply just buy the mill and get any software you like. This is why it is important to find a retailer that has the ability to help you out on the cam software.[/QUOTE

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
Ok, good. I called a few suppliers and they all offer only one type of software depending on a bundle I choose. Maybe they just forgot to mention they have other options or I can choose what I want. I will check with them again. The same with sintering ovens, I get whatever comes with a bundle. Unless they forgot to tell me they can be flexible ;-)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
You get what ever the supplier offer with the mill, some will offer another but most only offer one. Sintering ovens can be bought elsewhere they will sell you the mill only with cam and no sintering oven yes. Just do your research and ask and search on here there is a lot of valuable info floating around. The key is to find a quality re-seller, where are you located?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Bundles rarely turn out to be bargains. As a dummy, I love the Jensen skinned versions of Exocad and Hyperdent. I think there are better options than a Dekema oven.

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
You get what ever the supplier offer with the mill, some will offer another but most only offer one. Sintering ovens can be bought elsewhere they will sell you the mill only with cam and no sintering oven yes. Just do your research and ask and search on here there is a lot of valuable info floating around. The key is to find a quality re-seller, where are you located?
I am in Illinois, I am considering buying Sintra Plus separately. Not sure if I should buy dust collector on my own too? Also, I may need another compressor because it looks like the mills have specific needs and they differ from mill to mill.

Dorota

Dorota

Reaction score
Bundles rarely turn out to be bargains. As a dummy, I love the Jensen skinned versions of Exocad and Hyperdent. I think there are better options than a Dekema oven.
I Hyperdent what Preciso uses? I, also want to stay away from SiC heating elements. Sorry, Dekema :-(

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
Yes, Jensen uses hyperDENT to create their Preciso CAM interface with proven templates they've created in house. It's a great solution!

I was wondering when you were going to show up and plug hyperDENT as the superior optionLaugh

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I was wondering when you were going to show up and plug hyperDENT as the superior optionLaugh
Lol it is over most options out there on larger files.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I just answered a question, that's all ;-)

...which is all I have to do when Sevan does the rest of my "pitch" for me!
I will be talking with you in chicago...............lol

J

Jed Archibald

Reaction score
Does anyone know the price difference in the CAM software's?

Techy

Techy

Reaction score
We run Sum3d/Millbox, its easy and good.

For larger machines, we just Switched to Hyperdent!

Still new to the software, nothing but good things to say about support from Jordan and his team!!

Adam
Streamline Dental

Last edited:
V

Victor DQ

Reaction score
I am playing with a demo version of Millbox and find out that the smallest tool it can use is 0.3mm.
Is there any CAM package that can utilize smaller tool bits?
Also is there any CAM that can do manual G code editing with drilling commend?
Even wanted to see if I can set up the custom-made job holder.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I am playing with a demo version of Millbox and find out that the smallest tool it can use is 0.3mm.
3 tenths of a mm ought to be small enough for anything you're doing in dental. The smallest burr I've ever ever needed in a handpiece is 5/10ths mm when doing secondary anatomy adjustments.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
No need for smaller. We run a .3mm on our wieland vhf mills. I know talladium had a 0.15mm fo r the Roland dwx-50 back in the day. But the millisecond it touched the zr, snap! Strategy was probably not right but honestly .3 is overkill, just gonna get filled with glaze anyways.

Top Bottom