Calibration Objects

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hi again :)

With my PrograMill Dry (VHF K5),it is calibrated by milling a composite, wood pulp? disc (top of 1st image).
My Mini had the nice metal calibration tool (bottom of 1st image).

I noticed on DOF's last thread, that they use a "wood" disc as well. It's at the bottom of that page.
Wouldn't the machined metal version be more accurate than a milled calibration disc that then needs to be hand calibrated, as in the case of the PrograMill Dry?
I'm guessing it's still a good way to do it, as DOF's mill and this VHF mill use that technique.

20211105_084828.jpg

wood.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe that's just their expression for it stamped on the disc? But is it some sort of composite, composition? Mine feels like pulp, light weight.

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Wouldn't the machined metal version be more accurate than a milled calibration disc that then needs to be hand calibrated, as in the case of the PrograMill Dry?
Just different ways to calibrate, automated via a touchprobe or mill and measure a known size object... with pros and cons for each method. I'd prefer milling a test piece for metals, since you can calibrate for a given load / material.. for soft stuff like Zr is not important. Perhaps @brayks will jump in and explain way better than I could...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply zero.

It's just the Dry mill has about 4 milled cubes that have to be measured in different ways as far as I remember. The tech did it once during set up. You have to measure all those cubes and enter in the cnc the numbers. It just seemed a bit complex compared to the Mini "self"calibration, like more could go wrong?