CAD Software - Custom Library

M

MushMaster

Reaction score
Looking to compile a list of CAD software that allows one to create a custom tooth library by means of scanning waxups and extracted teeth for example. Would anyone know for a fact whether Zirkonzahn's software allows for something like this?

Feel free to add to the list:

- 3Shape

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
exocad, with tooth model editor software you can make libraries in the .eoff format from stl and other file types.

ZZ software is based on exocad, but it is branded and has limits incorporated. Not sure the exocad tooth model editor will work with ZZ?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Pretty much every CAD software out there could be used to create tooth libs, making it useful for dental CAD apps certain features needs to be marked so the software knows what to do with it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
How doyou make a library from extracted teeth? you might get a few here and there, but how would you have a full arch of usable anatomy?

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
TL;DR - Cut out teeth from the model, close them up - save them to your PC - run them through Exo library creator.

Any STL file with Exocad's tooth library creator can be used. You could technically get a solid STL of any type, run it through the library creator (this is an intensive process that requires you to mark out every area that the anatomy tools will move, as well as the "m/d contacts", etc) then use that. So, you could make a Mickey Mouse tooth.

I have seen a trend in the library teeth where a closed bottom mesh should be used for "pontics", and open bottom for the files that go into "teeth" in the library folder. I've only seen this oddity when bringing in a ZZ library into a non ZZ exocad, so there's a possibility their libraries are defined differently, and act differently than base exocad users. I had to actually edit mesh, and cut off the bottom of their library to get it to form properly to the margin.

- Josh

M

MushMaster

Reaction score
... Not sure the exocad tooth model editor will work with ZZ?
That is the question. Beer

How doyou make a library from extracted teeth? you might get a few here and there, but how would you have a full arch of usable anatomy?
I have a collection of extracted teeth from way back and thought it would be neat to scan the anatomical crown for their natural anatomy. It is not necessarily my idea to try and create a full arch out of them haha. Just curious to know whether it is an option or not.

That's tedious. A good ol' sledgehammer does the trick.

TL;DR - Cut out teeth from the model, close them up - save them to your PC - run them through Exo library creator.

Any STL file with Exocad's tooth library creator can be used. You could technically get a solid STL of any type, run it through the library creator (this is an intensive process that requires you to mark out every area that the anatomy tools will move, as well as the "m/d contacts", etc) then use that. So, you could make a Mickey Mouse tooth.

I have seen a trend in the library teeth where a closed bottom mesh should be used for "pontics", and open bottom for the files that go into "teeth" in the library folder. I've only seen this oddity when bringing in a ZZ library into a non ZZ exocad, so there's a possibility their libraries are defined differently, and act differently than base exocad users. I had to actually edit mesh, and cut off the bottom of their library to get it to form properly to the margin.

- Josh
Heard about ZZ Exocad being 'limited'. I guess the limiting part is experienced because it has been altered to suit the CAD idea of the creator. Since I am acquiring information, how do you like ZZ's software? (Or their forked version of Exocad?)

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
@AmsterDan We resell Exocad as well, so we have no need for ZZ's version. It's all in what they enable or disable though. They may not allow you to import certain IOS scan types depending on if they're partnered, or they may not allow "beta" goodies which haven't gone live and could cause unexpected glitches by people that don't understand it. We've always taken a more fully open approach, which is what Exocad excells at. Once again, I've never played with their modified version, so it could be fully open, but you can't always be sure.

- Josh