CAD Denture Planning for Down Syndrome Patient

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey Team,

Here are some photos of the 3d printed stuff. Scott, no problem on the model butchering, it was perfect. I thought about laying a wax spacer, and making a custom tray... but my externship mentor (boss) said to go all in with it and if we need to re-do a step then we will.

[PICASA=104261288860868281952]3dPrinting[/PICASA]

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Now the really cool stuff.

1. Is it going to fit?
2. Can we get it in?
3. If we can, will it stay?
4. Will the patient tolerate it?

Well, the answer is that a perfect 1mm spacer and a nice low profile tray (just over 1mm thick) and we have something that worked very very well. It was still a challenge to get it under the tongue, but after the first try in, I knew we were in business. Plus, after a few visits and practice, the patient and I are really in the groove non verbally. First try, I kind of moved the tongue to one side, got the tray in there and then fished the tongue out from under the other side with my mirror. It dropped down onto the ridge, with no rocking and I was pumped. It was overextended (apparently I designed it that way) but I got it trimmed and even managed to do some border molding. To take the actual impression, I opted for the "all in one go." THe patient now understands the sticking the tongue out, so we could grab it with a gentle lift upward it up to give us a path of entry below it.

I'll have him back in tomorrow for some intermaxillary records and to re-eval whatever that traumatic sore on his maxilla is. The lower final impression still had some drags/voids so I think the functional soft reline is going to be the final solution, but we got a pretty nice one today. Even got the frena.

Now...where is that neutral zone paper?

[PICASA=104261288860868281952]ClinicalPhotos[/PICASA]

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That's quite a hole ya got to work with. LOL

Weird looking tongue, no?

Cool.

Last edited: