CAD Dental Design Software-Other than 3Shape/Exocad

I

ILCDT2000

Reaction score
Hello. I am Ismael Lopez CDT and owner of Lopez Dental Design Studio.
I am new on this forum and am insterested in doing more dental CAD designing of C&B. I am looking to work with a less expensive design software. I know the industry right now is all about Exocad and 3Shape, but are there less pricey alternatives out there?? Not sure where to look or inquire. Any pertinent information would be greatly appreciated.

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
Up3D, Blender, Meshmixer, theres a few browser based programs like dentalbird, to be honest though, if youre planning on doing more than 3 units a day your efficiency is going to really go downhill compared to 3shape, exocad, or one of the thirty exocad reskins

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Up3D, Blender, Meshmixer, theres a few browser based programs like dentalbird, to be honest though, if youre planning on doing more than 3 units a day your efficiency is going to really go downhill compared to 3shape, exocad, or one of the thirty exocad reskins
Kermie...why so forlorn? It looks like you need a hug from Miss Piggy to cheer you up :) :)

kermit.jpg

I

ILCDT2000

Reaction score
I did a little digging and I came across Up3D, and seems like a very viable option. I am a single person lab at the moment, and do about 5-10 units a day. I just want to get started with something. I have t looked the others mentioned in your response, but will look into them. Thank you for your input.

I

ILCDT2000

Reaction score
Does Blender have a built in dental design module or is it something that you have to add?? If my memory serves me correct, it had the option and then it didn't. Could be my memory is wrong.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
This isn't dental-design specific, but I've still found Rhino very useful from time to time for repairing or reworking mesh files of any flavour. Here's a post I wrote a while back about it in response to a query about file conversions-

Just for the record, by far the best CAD program for opening any mesh and exporting to any mesh format that I've used is Rhino 3D. Not dental-specific, and it has a learning curve to use its more powerful modelling tools, but very good for editing, repairing and modifying meshes of any sort. It opens pretty much any mesh file, no matter how gnarly or corrupted, and can export very cleanly as whatever you need. Very lightweight and zippy software, too.
A lifetime license is, like, $600 or so? Not worth it just for file conversion, but phenomenal value as a mesh CAD platform goes, and maybe worth it if you find yourself repairing and editing scans a lot and often find the built-in dental tools lacking or not giving you enough control. The developers are also very nice guys and offer extremely generous trial terms + they refuse to implement any inconvenient piracy protection, it feels good to give them some money once you've used it for free for the *90-day* trial period.

also- if you want a tool for doing NURBS, non-mesh CAD work- which is strongly preferred for geometrically-defined, infinitely-scalable CAD designs, think for tools or physical components- Fusion 360 or Alibre Design are both good and affordable options. Alibre is less powerful but you own the software and your designs for life, forever, with no qualifiers; 360 is a cloud-based subscription service, and you lose your ability to modify your designs once you stop paying.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Does Blender have a built in dental design module or is it something that you have to add?? If my memory serves me correct, it had the option and then it didn't. Could be my memory is wrong.
google blender4dental

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
You can do alot of things with the Medit Link software and it's free.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Blue sky bio has design software. That I believe is free or at least use to be.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hilarious that Mental Wings doesn't even get mentioned

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
why should it, they havent been relevant since 2013
Oh they shouldn't That was the software I cut my teeth on. It was purchased(without my input) because it was cheaper than 3 Shape. Once I got involved in Cad/Cam(early 2010's),I quickly realized it wasn't me, it was the really crappy design software and support from Mental Wings. We purchased 3Shape not long after.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Just read about this software in LMT magazine, it is completely free.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Oh they shouldn't That was the software I cut my teeth on. It was purchased(without my input) because it was cheaper than 3 Shape. Once I got involved in Cad/Cam(early 2010's),I quickly realized it wasn't me, it was the really crappy design software and support from Mental Wings. We purchased 3Shape not long after.
When I did a demo of Dental Wings, there were 2 glitches. One was where the background when black. I asked the rep if they knew about it, and if there was a fix coming out, and he said yes, but didn't know when it may be patched. I tried a 3Shape demo from the same vendor with no issues. He said to go with 3Shape. I've been happy with it ever since. This was before Exocad had made any impact, when 3Shape was being sold by every and any vendor, including Ace Hardware :) What I did like about Dental Wings was the numbered multi dies can feature.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I know this is the information OP is looking for, but with some of these "free" ones, how easy are they really to work with, and how is the Support going to be?