CAD/CAM technician seeking advice on working remotely

I was offered a job opportunity working remotely. Has anyone here ever worked or is designing remotely from home? Is this worth my time or is it just a waste? It's not the first time I've been approached to work remotely but I was worried about paying for the computer/time and effort spent on creating a setup at home. Did the company provide for your computer/dongle? What was your wages for your work was it hourly or piece work. What did you ask for or what did they offer? Do you have deadlines? What it's like with communication about a case?
I know it's a lot of questions. My interview is in a couple hours so I'll add to the post with details of how it went. Thanks guys!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Reaction score
it can be worth your time but you'll need volume. most labs pay designers the lesser of two costs: either 3-5$ per unit, or 15-18$/hr when they are in house. if you are working from home they don't have a way to monitor or regulate your activity so it will likely be piecework pay. the expectation should be that you use your computer but have access to their dongle, unless they also have agreed to provide you a work computer, so ask. your deadline will probably be everything they sent to be done the same day they requested so they can be put into production before the staff go home, probably between 4pm and 6pm.

communication should be through a dedicated app to their QC person, a desktop sharing app such as Teams, Slack, Discord, Skype, or zoom. worst case scenario you end up sending the case through the baked in sharing software of exo/3shape which is bafflingly poor as a communication device.

J

juliadesigns4u

Reaction score
Thank you COol hand Luke! I would definitely ask for at least 7$/unit though bc full contour charges 5$/unit and their designs are crap and don't follow preferences. A known issue for every Lab. This is probably where the issue lies.
I've been designing for almost 10 years now so my experience alone gets me 30/hr just starting out in lab. Obviously I would be doing a lot of other different things but just to give you and idea. I've been at another lab for piece work and 7/unit was what they were giving me but I was working in lab so as u can imagine things didn't last very long. They automatically thought I was rushing bc I completed 5-6 units an hour. But that's just my speed for a normal crown. I wasnt going to sit there at the lab and take 30minuets so I could make 14/hr anyways but working from home is a different story. I prefer to take my time but I'm not going to take my time for 5/unit. No way. I would want their larger cases anyways. That's what I have most experience in and those are the cases that take up the most time. Getting 2 full arch at home a day with 30/hr shouldn't be a problem bc that's what I would do in lab. Im not going to do that case for 7$/unit. I really don't see how this works out for people. Problems occur all the time and with being on their dongle could add to this. I'm prepared to ask for 7$/unit or $28/hr. Well see what he says 🤪😁