Cad/Cam haters/lovers

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I consider myself pretty well versed with technology. I try and stay well informed by participating with like minded individuals in forums such as this. There are several that participate on this site that are exceptionally well versed and I take the information they share and absorb as much as possible. I would state that the guys on this site are as well versed as any in our trade.

I preference this as I had a very interesting evening last night. I was involved in a lecture where several of the attending Gps were cerec Dr's, but the vast majority of the attendees were green to cad/cam.

The seminar was on full mouth reconstructions and I was asked to speak regarding cad/cam substructures. There were many that had never heard of the computer being utilized in the lab which just shocked me. When I showed the power of the software and explained the predictable results we are able to achieve it was like magic. Lots of eyes were opened last night.

Many of these Fee For Service practitioners had wonderful relationships with their existing labs, but when I asked if their lab spoke about technology with them many just had blank stares. The fact is the vast majority of small labs are not versed in these advanced production/fabrication techniques and even fewer strive to geek out like a lot of us.

I know that many fear advancements in technology, however I have found that by embracing it you will become a resource to your clients, and today this has never been more important.

On a side note a few of the new Gps that bought into Cerec were stressing out about there 10 year payment plans fearing that the system will be outdated and useless before the lease was up. I just smiled and said welcome to my world :)

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Wow, its pretty amazing that CAD/CAM has been at the forefront of our trade for nearly 10 years now (think we bought our Cercon unit even before that),and there are still lab techs thats are not up to speed on this !?!

Thats what you call burying your head in the sand i think.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
25 years for Sirona I think?

10 years + for Lava?

It is a gamble I believe John is saying....

Sometimes it is smarter NOT to buy.

Tough for most guys to gather enough education/experience on this stuff to make a wise decision to buy or not.

and, Some trends change faster than day to night. So that factor is out of our control.

Technology is moving faster and fasterer!

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
There were many that had never heard of the computer being utilized in the lab which just shocked me. When I showed the power of the software and explained the predictable results we are able to achieve it was like magic. Lots of eyes were opened last night.

On a side note a few of the new Gps that bought into Cerec were stressing out about there 10 year payment plans fearing that the system will be outdated and useless before the lease was up. I just smiled and said welcome to my world :)

I would be VERY VERY careful about investing in a CECEC if I were a dentist. I would consider it a marketing expense, and a door opener, but not something to try and replace my lab bill.

I agree John. We bring dentists into this lab, and they are gobsmacked. Most just shake their heads, but end up great and loyal customers once they have been here and seen how we do things.

We are getting an intraoral scanner here soon, and will be putting it in our operatory in the lab, but it's portable and we'll use it on patients next door too. Letting a dentist come and demo it will really open some eyes, and when they see some of the new little table top mills, they will really think twice about buying into a system as closed and overpriced as CEREC.

Good job on the meeting.

Top Bottom