C&B Investment problems

S

stanleyn

Reaction score
I have a problems with my current C&B Investment. I use GC Fujivest II. Some batches are good, but some are horrible.I am ready to try something more reliable. Is anybody have consistent results casting gold alloys? I cast 40% gold alloy.

K

KIM

Reaction score
I have a problems with my current C&B Investment. I use GC Fujivest II. Some batches are good, but some are horrible.I am ready to try something more reliable. Is anybody have consistent results casting gold alloys? I cast 40% gold alloy.
Do you use a rush technique or overnight for investing? Have you ever tried Microstar HS?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
My vote for 'Shofu Ceravety press & cast'.......... I am really loving the fits with my palladium based metal work. :)

P

Presswood

Reaction score

Beauty Cast, using hygroscopic technique.
Unparalleled for casting Gold FGC 's.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Mircostar HS I don't cast often, but when I do I use Mircostar HS. "The Most Interesting Caster in the World."

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
My vote for 'Shofu Ceravety press & cast'.......... I am really loving the fits with my palladium based metal work. :)

Works great for emax (as its name implies) as it seems to have less of a reaction layer than Microstar. I use both investments.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'd been using it for years. About 12 years ago they had a problem and finally admitted it, but all was well from then till I last used it last May. We had issues of it getting crystals in the liquid and that would cause problems if the temp wasn't controlled in the proper range. Is the same person mixing all the investments? Also sometimes the premeasured bags would have a hole in them and we'd toss them without trying.

S

stanleyn

Reaction score
Do you use a rush technique or overnight for investing? Have you ever tried Microstar HS?
Overnight is unusable, I use only fast burnout and ringless. The problem, it does not sat completely in the ring. To the point it sometimes is so soft I could not even remove it from the ring without braking it! Have not tried Microstar HS. I heard mix reviews about it.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Formula 1. Use it for my 40% ceramic alloy and 56% fcc. Hot oven for both 1470F. If I'm doing an fcc I drop the temp after wax burns out to 1250. Ringless.
Only use 100 gm packs, 16cc lqd and 6 distilled.;)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Overnight is unusable, I use only fast burnout and ringless. The problem, it does not sat completely in the ring. To the point it sometimes is so soft I could not even remove it from the ring without braking it! Have not tried Microstar HS. I heard mix reviews about it.

Then try Ceravety, it's stronger than Microstar. Call Shofu and see if they will send you a sample pack with some liquid.

S

stanleyn

Reaction score
I'd been using it for years. About 12 years ago they had a problem and finally admitted it, but all was well from then till I last used it last May. We had issues of it getting crystals in the liquid and that would cause problems if the temp wasn't controlled in the proper range. Is the same person mixing all the investments? Also sometimes the premeasured bags would have a hole in them and we'd toss them without trying.
I also use it for at least 15 years. Very inexpensive and good when it is working.... I am one man lab, and always use timer, I also weigh it on the electronic scales, the bags are always have more than 90 grams by few grams. Have You switched to something else? I use 45SF alloy 45 gold 45 palladium. But I also use it for all other C&B use. Like gold crowns and custom abutments.
If you are still use UCLA what investment do you use. The problem with FugivestII when I use it for my custom abatements is micro fins and babbles close to base/platgorm of abatement, and the gold would overflow to the platform, especially if it is closer than 1mm to it. I do make sure the platform is wax free. I clean it with GC Resin monomer and alcohol. Nevertheless I still get gold on the platform. Very annoying! I use broken arm casting machine. I make sure I don't over tight it also. I blame the investment at this point.

S

stanleyn

Reaction score
Formula 1. Use it for my 40% ceramic alloy and 56% fcc. Hot oven for both 1470F. If I'm doing an fcc I drop the temp after wax burns out to 1250. Ringless.
Only use 100 gm packs, 16cc lqd and 6 distilled.;)
Thanks man, I heard good thing about it also. Would You recommend to use it for custom abatements also? I use 52% gold for this. Of cause if You are still doing it :)

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks man, I heard good thing about it also. Would You recommend to use it for custom abatements also? I use 52% gold for this. Of cause if You are still doing it :)
Have not used it for that. I can't say. Bridges with bars I do from cold at 12 a min through the first phase hold of 800.

S

stanleyn

Reaction score
Then try Ceravety, it's stronger than Microstar. Call Shofu and see if they will send you a sample pack with some liquid.
Thanks man, I vill try, You mentioned that you use it for E-max also, how is it compered to Ivoclaire?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I also use it for at least 15 years. Very inexpensive and good when it is working.... I am one man lab, and always use timer, I also weigh it on the electronic scales, the bags are always have more than 90 grams by few grams. Have You switched to something else? I use 45SF alloy 45 gold 45 palladium. But I also use it for all other C&B use. Like gold crowns and custom abutments.
If you are still use UCLA what investment do you use. The problem with FugivestII when I use it for my custom abatements is micro fins and babbles close to base/platgorm of abatement, and the gold would overflow to the platform, especially if it is closer than 1mm to it. I do make sure the platform is wax free. I clean it with GC Resin monomer and alcohol. Nevertheless I still get gold on the platform. Very annoying! I use broken arm casting machine. I make sure I don't over tight it also. I blame the investment at this point.
I don't do C&B anymore. Started my own removables lab last year. But, here's what I know. Not trying to talk down to you with over detailed, just don't know what could help. We used Jensen metals. Primarily Superior, JPW, JCB, Classic IV, and Endurance in that order.

Don't know what system of rings you use, or if it matters, we used the Belle de StClair oval rings with the straight sprue bars.
We did many many screw retained and custom abutments. Very few issues aside from a rare bubble in the screw channel which would be taken care of with a fissure burr or 1/2round.
The abutment interface and screw channel would be treated with Wax-it debublizer just as the wax was prior to investing. This would be very gently blown to dryness if it couldn't be "drip dried" for time/volume issues.

When investing we'd slowly pour it so that the capillary effect would pull the investment through the screw channel and then over the interface instead of letting the investment pour over the interface into the screw channel. This is where we found the best success in preventing overcasting.

Do you use a vent? We'd put the a 20ga wire wax at the opposite side from the sprue and centered at the joint between the wax and metal. This prevented short castings, well we thought it did :)

I'm gonna think some more and see what else I can remember that may help you.

Edit:
We bench set for 20 minutes before going into a metal temp oven, heat soak for 1hr, then cast. We used a broken arm cast also. If we let it set overnight, we'd put it in the oven cold and rise the oven at 1800 deg c/hr to the 800c or 820c the metal asked for, then 30min heatsoak after temp was reached.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks man, I vill try, You mentioned that you use it for E-max also, how is it compered to Ivoclaire?

It's been so long since I've used the Ivoclar investment, that I don't remember. I used it a couple of times, was unimpressed, and moved on. You will find very few here (if any) who actually use their investment.