Business license or seller's license?

K

Kacey

Reaction score
Does anyone in the US, and especially CA have either a business license or seller's license? I'm a one person lab and was told years ago that since I'm not selling to the public, I don't need one. I've been doing some research, and it looks like I may need one or both. Interested to hear your comments and experiences. Thank you..

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
In California you most definitely need to be registered for a resale license with the State board of Equalization, you will need to collect sales tax on all new appliances that are sold in Californai and report and tender said funds.

You will need to have a local business license with the city where your business resides. You will have fees associated with the business license EVERY YEAR and will need to pay at the very least quarterly to the state board for sales tax collected. When you have your resale license you will then not be charged sales tax for your sundry items.

BTW when you apply with state board if you mention you have been in business but not collecting sales tax be ready for their wrath and perhaps an audit insisting you remit even though you were never compensated by your clients. They will tell you you will need to back bill your clients to recoup these expenses. Your best bet is to not mention it and act like you are a new start up.

Good luck, let us know if you have additional questions.

K

Kacey

Reaction score
thank you. are you registered with the FDA, or is that not necessary?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
If you are making class two devices or are importing then you have no choice. I do not think you are doing either if I am not mistaken so no need.

Big gov wants to protect the patient, sadly in this world where doing the right thing isn't the norm even the good guys have to pay the price.

R

rosarioortholab

Reaction score
In California you most definitely need to be registered for a resale license with the State board of Equalization, you will need to collect sales tax on all new appliances that are sold in Californai and report and tender said funds.

You will need to have a local business license with the city where your business resides. You will have fees associated with the business license EVERY YEAR and will need to pay at the very least quarterly to the state board for sales tax collected. When you have your resale license you will then not be charged sales tax for your sundry items.

BTW when you apply with state board if you mention you have been in business but not collecting sales tax be ready for their wrath and perhaps an audit insisting you remit even though you were never compensated by your clients. They will tell you you will need to back bill your clients to recoup these expenses. Your best bet is to not mention it and act like you are a new start up.

Good luck, let us know if you have additional questions.

Wow state sales tax! It must be fun doing business in the republic of california