Bridge Pressing

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Not sure I should even do this. Dr. wants a 3 unit lower anterior bridge. Full crown, pontic and a wing. Is this asking for trouble? I assume I would need two sprues. One attached to the crown and one to the pontic. Whenever I have tried spuening in two spot I always seem to get a line of demarcation when the material meets up from two different sprues . Any tips on how to process this case?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Sprue it just labial to the incisal edge

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Not sure I should even do this. Dr. wants a 3 unit lower anterior bridge. Full crown, pontic and a wing. Is this asking for trouble? I assume I would need two sprues. One attached to the crown and one to the pontic. Whenever I have tried spuening in two spot I always seem to get a line of demarcation when the material meets up from two different sprues . Any tips on how to process this case?
Yes, this is asking for trouble. Zircoinia wouldn't be a good material option for this either. So if the doctor is insistent on an all ceramic bridge, I would make sure I let them know that there is a good chance this will fail because this restoration is a contra indication for this material. If they still wanted to go down this all ceramic road, I would ensure there is zero function on the pontic.

We were never able to "fix" the line that gets created in the pontic with a pressed bridge. In this case, you can put one sprue on the crown and the other on the pontic and you shouldn't see that line.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I would also let them know you can't warranty it, and there would be a remake charge for any follow-up restoration if they proceed with it.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Single sprue on pontic. But it's still likely to break at the wing, even with no function on any part of the bridge the teeth still flex enough to create an issue.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I just had a lower posterior emax bridge break in less than a year, Dr asked if it was warrantied.. but as I told him, no warranty on emax bridges.. He proceeds, the same week, to prescribe a 6-11 emax bridge with 2 central pontics.. :rolleyes:

What can you expect from Drs that make their own chairside emax everyday? Even getting paid twice for the same bridge isnt worth the insanity.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just had a lower posterior emax bridge break in less than a year, Dr asked if it was warrantied.. but as I told him, no warranty on emax bridges.. He proceeds, the same week, to prescribe a 6-11 emax bridge with 2 central pontics.. :rolleyes:

What can you expect from Drs that make their own chairside emax everyday? Even getting paid twice for the same bridge isnt worth the insanity.
I had one account about 7 years ago that said we could do emax crowns with feather margins, including posteriors. I told him no, that it's not strong enough and not made for feather margins, and they would break, but he was insistent so we parted ways.

About 3 years later, he started sending me work for zirconia crowns and wanted Bruxzir to be able to continue to do his beloved feather margins. I never brought up or asked him how it went with the emax debacle, as I figured what I was getting from him was self-explanatory. I had even called up Ivoclar at that time and asked what the Dr was talking about, and she was at just as much of a loss as I was as far as his reasoning, but that he may have heard if at a seminar?

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
To be fair, e.max was the latest greatest thing pushed by labs (and CEREC reps) for almost 20 years until zirconia replaced it, and its been tough to get some Drs to switch to zirconia, but they mostly all have and I do very little pressing for anteriors anymore. Emax still has its place but maybe Drs think you can do more with it than you can. I never was a fan of emax bridges although Ive done a few, even done some zirpress.. but even though zirconia isnt unbreakable, it can definitely weather the wear and tear better than an all glass frame. Im pretty sure it was never indicated for 6 unit bridges either.. although I know many have been done.

Top Bottom