Boil out and Curing Unit...HELP!!!!!

BB77SCDL

BB77SCDL

SuperMember
Reaction score
I am a crown and bridge tech with enough removable knowledge to be dangerous. I will be adding a denture department soon and I need some help with some equipment. We will not be completing more than 2 to 5 dentures a week, mainly just repairs and rush cases, but need a curing/boil out unit and I don't know where to start (brand, size, make my own, used, new....?). I don't want something that will be too big, but I want something good! I am reaching out to my trust worthy friends here on DLN! I know you guys can help!

P.S.
We are also still in need of: Lathe (Red Wing),Press and a hydrocolloid machine.

Thanks Again and God Bless,

Ben

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Contact Jeff Hucek with Acorn Dental Ceramics. He has all this available he is getting rid of.

Homedica shell blaster

Coebuilt pneumatic flask press (double)

Hanau curing unit

2 Redwing lathes, one with quick chuck

Whipmix Powermatic-no vacuum

12” Rayfoster wetgrinder

Stalite Stavac vacuum former

Triad 2000 curing box

DRM diamondlite curing box

3 different sets of denture teeth trays

Yates and Bird electric solderer

Ney surveyor

Plaster bin

4 Triad flat plane articulators/step gauges to work with hamular notch-slick old system that works good

Galetti articulator

All kinds of acrylic powders, Lang, etc., repair powders, duplicating stuff, reline jig, various brass articulators, grinding wheels, all lab stuff you would recognize-consumables.

8’ custom made boilout unit with stainless counter and sink. Boilout orifices take natural gas. Cabinet space underneath.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I suggest you get a deep fryer and use it for boil out and curing. When your business picks up and steady then you can graduate to a Nevin or Mestra tank. I bought a fryer on sale for 29.00 and it does the job just fine. Will boil out at a setting of 250 and then cure a single set of two units but it has to be babysat.....The deep fryers won't last all that long but for 2-5 units a week should las a while anyways and wont break your pocketbook. You will need to invest in a hydraulic press though....Press in three stages and go 60 lbs first pack, 80 lbs second pack and 100 lbs for final pack for at least 20 minutes.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Why pack when you can inject? I thought packing was like driving a pinto around town? Then again, I'm just a C&B wannabe Denture tech too!!! :)

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I saw and uber rare pinto wagon circa 74 on the freeway today, it lived up to the reputation I remember, not on fire but on the shoulder waiting for AAA I assume.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Why pack when you can inject? I thought packing was like driving a pinto around town? Then again, I'm just a C&B wannabe Denture tech too!!! :)

Pack because of the number of things ivocap and injection cannot do that you need to pack for anyways....IE closed flask relines, moloplast relines, rebases, etc....Never tried any of these using injection and I am trying to advocate economy for this brother....This is because with only 2-3 units per week no point in shelling out 5K or 12 K for an injection system until his numbers increase to justify it. Up here the environment is different....ergo the deep fryer route is logical and expendable after his growth substantiates a larger investment....Hope that makes sense...fiscally anyways....take care....An elderly beginner.

T

Tech35

Reaction score
I am a crown and bridge tech with enough removable knowledge to be dangerous. I will be adding a denture department soon and I need some help with some equipment. We will not be completing more than 2 to 5 dentures a week, mainly just repairs and rush cases, but need a curing/boil out unit and I don't know where to start (brand, size, make my own, used, new....?). I don't want something that will be too big, but I want something good! I am reaching out to my trust worthy friends here on DLN! I know you guys can help!

P.S.
We are also still in need of: Lathe (Red Wing),Press and a hydrocolloid machine.

Ben
If you are only making two to five dentures a week get two turkey roasters one for boilout and one for a curing tank. As for the hydrocolloid machine save a ton of money and get a cheap microwave a Pyrex measuring bowl and microwable hydrocolloid. As for the hydrocolloid you can use polyflex but only about three runs then you must use new material

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Wonder how this turned out?
Well after passing by the first time, John realized that the ‘74 Pinto belonged to one of Glidewells employees, so the next time by he left his business card along with a help wanted flyer. John hired the guy, Jim G’s still salty about it. Eventually John bought the Pinto, had it restored and painted Malibu pink, his wife drives it on pick up and delivery runs.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score

P.S.

Ben
Get a microwave and some special flasks from GC and their MC acrylic, You will
Never look back at boiling units and curing overnight again. Doing it for 26 years.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Get a microwave and some special flasks from GC and their MC acrylic, You will
Never look back at boiling units and curing overnight again. Doing it for 26 years.
Tom Zaleske does this and swears by it too...great suggestion.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
I saw and uber rare pinto wagon circa 74 on the freeway today, it lived up to the reputation I remember, not on fire but on the shoulder waiting for AAA I assume.
Pretty well all us made cars were junk in '74. Pinto was one of the better ones

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Still have to clean with boiling water, correct?
Yeah, only difference is instead of putting it in hot water to cure and having to have it to temp on time, get it out etc, you put it in a special non-metal flask in the microwave. Take it out and it's done.

Still want to bench cool, but 20 minutes total cure time vs hours.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I wonder as well how this turned out its been almost 10 years.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I wonder as well how this turned out its been almost 10 years.
We probably won't ever know since the OP hasn't been here since July of 2019.