Blender for Dental

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Is / has anyone tried Blender for Dental for model / die design?

I'm using 3shape (sorry!!) and want to design working models from Intra oral scans. I don't currently get any IOS at the moment so can't justify the cost of getting the model builder module but just want to be ready if and when I do.

I've had a play around with Blender and it seems like a program you can do a lot with....but man it takes so long to work through. I'm kind of hoping Blender would have idiot proofed the module!!

Any thoughts?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Any thoughts?
I was about to post the same... For the cost it is very interesting. However, you will need to scan the printed models in order to work with them, right?

As for 3Shape, I guess you are aware that you can receive and model build files, as long as the are from Trios IOS.

E

erykd1

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat (but with exo). We don't currently have the model builder addon, but we do have one office that is using an IOS. I figured for now B4D would be a good stepping stone before dropping the $$$ on the model builder addon. For the price you can't go wrong. I don't foresee us doing any implant models with it, but for regular C&B it is working well for us.
I've had it for about 2 weeks, we've finished 2 cases. The training videos that come with it are a MUST, expect to set aside a full afternoon to go through them, and practice navigating the software. It's easy to mess something up, so save your work often. But for the price? Totally worth it.
Blender itself is a very complex program, but the guys at B4D have done a great job of cutting out the stuff you don't need in the model module.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys.
Contraluz, I didn't realise you could build models from trios IOS. How does this work? I receive the IOS (Trios) in my inbox and then where do I go? Am I able to use model builder even though I haven't paid for the module?

I was also thinking the same as you guys that for the price, it's got to be worth trialling it. Also good to know Eryc has used it at it works. I figured there would be a steep learning curve but that's ok.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I receive the IOS (Trios) in my inbox and then where do I go? Am I able to use model builder even though I haven't paid for the module?
If I am not mistaken (and I might very well be),I thought the trios (3Shape product) model builder is part of the basic package.

R

rookiee

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken (and I might very well be),I thought the trios (3Shape product) model builder is part of the basic package.

Nope, it's not...but you can use CAD points for here and there usage...I think one model session is around 9 EUR...

R

rookiee

Reaction score

I'm using 3shape (sorry!!) and want to design working models from Intra oral scans. I don't currently get any IOS at the moment so can't justify the cost of getting the model builder module but just want to be ready if and when I do.

I've had a play around with Blender and it seems like a program you can do a lot with....but man it takes so long to work through. I'm kind of hoping Blender would have idiot proofed the module!!

Any thoughts?

Forget it, 3shape has nice model builder more or less idiot proof by clicking next next next...if you don't have module, use CAD points if you need only here and there, I think one model session is around 9 EUR in CAD points value.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Nope, it's not...but you can use CAD points for here and there usage...I think one model session is around 9 EUR...
I stand corrected. Since it came with the package, I got, I thought it was part of the system.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Yes I was wondering if I could do it with CAD points. May be the way to go until the numbers build up.
I am still going to have a play with the BFD software....just looks kind of fun to mess around with.

Top Bottom