Biomet Encode Local Milling

D

dabelincoln

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was anyway to mill encoded Biomet 3i/Zimmer abutments locally. Has anyone found a solution to this?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If they don't allow it, it won't be legal/FDA ok in the US. Tread carefully. Eggshells abound here.

D

dabelincoln

Reaction score
I am not located in the US that's why I was asking because I don't have any manufacturing sites near me and I didn't know if there are mills that I can buy directly from Biomet and use their blanks (closed system local milling) or if someone has a workaround for encode local milling. Sorry if I am asking in an improper manner.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
nothing wrong with what you are asking, but so many of the users are based in the USA you aren't likely to get a viable answer.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I don't think you can local mill. Local scan and design and print model, then send to mill at their facility.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have one doctor that sends me Encode cases. I tried to explain to him how much better it would be for all of us(and much cheaper!) if he just removed teh Encode cap and impressed with a conventional impression coping to no avail.

The way it works now(they recently starting allowing labs to scan the models and send) we scan the models, send to Bellatek. They print models with the analog in place. For posteriors, I just order a Ti abumtent from the digital script I include with he case. When it comes back, I have to rescan the printed models with the Ti base in place to design the crown. For anteriors, I would get a custom abutment. Unless you are an "Encode Empowered" lab, you can not design the abutment or the crown from a DME or a core file. It's all very backward and not at all efficient.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I wasn't as creative as above, and just let my accounts know I would have to charge more for Bellatek to unlock the file and design, and for me to modify it or approve it.
I do have a couple of Dr's who are willing to remove the encode cap and impression with a transfer coping, but I know I'm losing some work due to the encode closed system.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is helpful for what you are trying to accomplish, and it is once again in context of being in the us. Firstly, I don't believe you will get anywhere trying to get their brand blanks so if you want to mill locally you will probably have to use 3rd party. Currently getting a custom milled Ti abutment from Zimmer/Biomet is absurdly expensive, so they probably aren't letting anyone else do it.

Secondly, they do allow labs (at least in the us) to become encode enabled, which will allow you to "decode" their encode healing caps and print your own models that work with their dims. They charge a whole heck of a lot for this ability so if you aren't doing a ton of their products, it is definitely not worth it. The easiest way to work with models from a dr. who insists on encode would be to find an encode enabled lab that can get you either models or stl.'s for a reasonable price/turn around and just work from that like it's any other case.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
In my case, I'm not doing enough to justify the cost of being an encode lab.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
In my case, I'm not doing enough to justify the cost of being an encode lab.
I don't want to say what they charge in case my info isn't correct, but I don't know that anybody is 😂

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Same here as far as their unlock and design fee. I do send all of my Zimmer abutments to their milling center, so they did give me a quote that I passed on to my accounts regarding the extra $$ I would have to charge to cover that cost.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I wasn't as creative as above, and just let my accounts know I would have to charge more for Bellatek to unlock the file and design, and for me to modify it or approve it.
I do have a couple of Dr's who are willing to remove the encode cap and impression with a transfer coping, but I know I'm losing some work due to the encode closed system.
I pass along all of their costs to the dentist. For example, I charge $450 for a posterior monolithic screw retained zirconia crown on a custom abutment. I think we were charging around $625 for the exact same restoration when I had to send the models to Bellatek and have them design the abutment and place the analog in our model.