BioHorizon 3mm

user name

user name

Reaction score
Just had a new Dr send case for a screw retained posterior. BioHorizon 3mm.

Is that a Zimmer compatible?

Seems like a bad choice for a posterior. Is there any literature I can share with him explaining its unsuitability in that region? I would think thats an anterior only choice.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Isnt the longevity of the implant based more on the bone density than the implant diameter? whats the difference of 1mm circumferentially? Either way it looks like a lollipop

user name

user name

Reaction score
Just heard back from BioHorizons.

3mm only to be used for incisors.

*Clinician judgment as related to any specific case must always supersede any recommendations made in this or any BioHorizons literature.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I've seen a few on 3.* implants (of different manufacturers) in the posterior fracture. Usually right along the side wall of the interface, but also bodily perpendicular to the long axis.
I'd pass on that case. $0.02

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Isnt the longevity of the implant based more on the bone density than the implant diameter? whats the difference of 1mm circumferentially? Either way it looks like a lollipop
The implant has to be able to withstand the force to transmit the force to the bone. Additionally, the screws on 3.# implants are generally smaller than in the rest of the implant family, allowing less torque at seating and allowing less load before failure.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Just had a new Dr send case for a screw retained posterior. BioHorizon 3mm.

Is that a Zimmer compatible?

Seems like a bad choice for a posterior. Is there any literature I can share with him explaining its unsuitability in that region? I would think thats an anterior only choice.

BioHorizons and Zimmer 3.0mm components and platform are completely different.

S

SimSimSalabim

Reaction score
Ah, I see Kent is back on DLN -- welcome back bro! Indeed, quite different than zimmer. 3.0 (IMPLAN) is for lateral and lower incisors -- however you don't necessarily know from the analog/impression that the implant is a 3.0. BioHorizons uses platform shift implants that allow the 3.0 connection to be present on 3.2, 3.4, and even some 3.8mm implants. The 3.0mm connection has indications proven for all areas of the mouth -- just not the narrowest implant itself. It also utilizes the same screw size as the larger platforms, unlike some other brands :)

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Ah, I see Kent is back on DLN -- welcome back bro! Indeed, quite different than zimmer. 3.0 (IMPLAN) is for lateral and lower incisors -- however you don't necessarily know from the analog/impression that the implant is a 3.0. BioHorizons uses platform shift implants that allow the 3.0 connection to be present on 3.2, 3.4, and even some 3.8mm implants. The 3.0mm connection has indications proven for all areas of the mouth -- just not the narrowest implant itself. It also utilizes the same screw size as the larger platforms, unlike some other brands :)

Prosthetically, the BioHorizons 3.0 connection is completely different than that of the Zimmer 3.0 and are not interchangeable. That's the point of this thread right? There is no debate on what size (Diameter) implant the surgeon places. In a lab/milling center, all we care about is what platform size to work from.

Top Bottom