Best way to shop for a used porcelain furnace?

P

PhilC

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not a dental person, but I have a need for some dental equipment. Specifically, I know that many porcelain furnaces (ones that have the option for vacuum operation and external gas purge during heating) would suit my current materials science processing need very nicely. Sadly, I'm a lowly university researcher and don't have a ton of equipment funds at the moment.

What is my best way to go about picking one up on the cheap? It doesn't need to be pretty, but programmable might be helpful.

As I'm shopping for used ones, what models are notorious for behaving badly?

Do you know of someone who should give their old, mothballed porcelain furnace to her/his alma mater, the University of Washington?

Any other tips?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

P

PhilC

Reaction score
Handy thread. Thank you.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Look on ebay, if you're handy with fixing, there are cheapo ones showing up there time by time... like this

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
This one Here will have a port for argon gas.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm coming to work for you @PhilC , you are just having way way too much fun to keep it all to yourself. I'll bring my porc oven.

Have you yet tested the dielectric potential of carbon nanotubes laid on a substrate of conductive glass? I imagine this would become a great capacitor as the conductivity of the tubes woukd allow for rapid charge/discharge cycles and the infinitesimal space would hold a vast charge while the variable permiability of the glass could be used for many photon impingment effects upon the charge.

In effect a photon moderated variable capacitor of unreasonable capaciry that can be tuned with sub-picofarad precision by colimated light pulses.

Just wondering.

P

PhilC

Reaction score
Ok, I'm coming to work for you @PhilC , you are just having way way too much fun to keep it all to yourself. I'll bring my porc oven.

Have you yet tested the dielectric potential of carbon nanotubes laid on a substrate of conductive glass? I imagine this would become a great capacitor as the conductivity of the tubes woukd allow for rapid charge/discharge cycles and the infinitesimal space would hold a vast charge while the variable permiability of the glass could be used for many photon impingment effects upon the charge.

In effect a photon moderated variable capacitor of unreasonable capaciry that can be tuned with sub-picofarad precision by colimated light pulses.

Just wondering.
Hmmm. You're close, but I think that you're stuck in four dimensional thinking. By reversing the polarity of the nanotubes while simultaenously flipping the chirality of their lefthandedness with a negative mirror, we should be able to tap into two of the hidden dimensions hinted at in String-brane Theory.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. You're close, but I think that you're stuck in four dimensional thinking. By reversing the polarity of the nanotubes while simultaenously flipping the chirality of their lefthandedness with a negative mirror, we should be able to tap into two of the hidden dimensions hinted at in String-brane Theory.
I'll take 4d as a complement :cool:

Are you trying to tap the virtual flux level as a vibration instead of a particle instantiation? Is that what I smell?

P

PhilC

Reaction score
I'll take 4d as a complement :cool:

Are you trying to tap the virtual flux level as a vibration instead of a particle instantiation? Is that what I smell?
*gasp* I've said too much!

Top Bottom