Best virtual articulator with best physical counterpart

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a benchtop/lab scanner as well when I eventually purchase my own IOS... At that time I will want a good virtual articulator that has compatibility with all of the major CAD software, but I could be swayed to one ring to rule them all if there is one that works well on the clinical side as well.

I am also interested in which one will be most compatible with future photogrammetry techniques.

I would absolutely LOVE if the quality of the photos I can take with my DSLR could accurately be applied to my scans as textures with accurate results. Is there an articulator that has photogrammetry appliance that transfers facebow and photogrammetry data in one shot?

I think that a combination of a CBCT, a facebow, a physical articulator, photogrammetry, and a virtual articulator is the holy grail of lab communication.

Photogrammetry for full arch implant cases is rapidly coming down in cost. In the other thread about Dandy supplying an IOS, I should have posted that THAT is a great opportunity for the lab to buy a piece of equipment and loan to the Dr.'s.

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
I would venture a guess that eventually this, if it hasn’t already, would be incorporated into 3Shape and Exocad were Artex,Denar, Panadent, SAM articulators would all be applicable with an open platform photogrammetry scanner would cover all the major articulators.

T

tyjthomas

Reaction score
I was looking at DOF Snap. Similar to face hunter but not made by ZZ

T

tyjthomas

Reaction score
I think there are several DOF users here, anyone tried the Snap?
Bellus 3D made a 3D phone scanning app but they are apparently shutting down, not sure if they were bought by someone or what happened. Heges is another facial scanner.

DOF Snap is a clinical product and it seems to use the DOF model scanning software for aligning the facial scan to the bite registration to the scanned cast. I guess that would mean you have to have physical models to scan. Not sure if you were going model-less if you could match the facial scan to the teeth directly in exocad, even though I know you can import it as an additional mesh…. I don’t have it so can’t confirm or deny either way, just what I’ve seen in videos.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
I have the DOF scanners in my lab. They are quite nice. I have received a handful of cases with snap or bellus scans, and they were OK to get a better understanding of the facial esthetics tied to the case, but not more than that. Adding in the CBCT is certianly possible, and I think what you are driving for is something you can cobble together in the exoCAD ecosystem, especially since you are considering photogrammetry.
For a digital/physical articulator combo, I like the Artex system. Great facebow. Honestly, even though I have 10+ Artexes in my lab, I can't remember the last time a clinician gave me a custom guidance table, or individualized condyle angles to set. Less than 5% of cases have a facebow.

In regards to the DANDY scenario, the big issue there is that most labs don't have the capital to buy that many scanners, nor do they want to take on the much debt. DANDY has PE backing for that, but they have little production bandwith. What dandy doesn't advertise is that they are reaching out to every lab they can to make restorations at wholesale prices for them to resell to you, the end user. Plus, they are still charging you a monthly fee, irregardless if you use the scanner or not.

As a larger lab, I offer a rebate program where a certain volume of work will get you a credit every month to pay your scanner off. This works better for us for many reasons.

Last edited:
T

tyjthomas

Reaction score
I have the DOF scanners in my lab. They are quite nice. I have received a handful of cases with snap or bellus scans, and they were OK to get a better understanding of the facial esthetics tied to the case, but not more than that. Adding in the CBCT is certianly possible, and I think what you are driving for is something you can cobble together in the exoCAD ecosystem, especially since you are considering photogrammetry.
For a digital/physical articulator combo, I like the Artex system. Great facebow. Honestly, even though I have 10+ Artexes in my lab, I can't remember the last time a clinician gave me a custom guidance table, or individualized condyle angles to set. Less than 5% of cases have a facebow.

In regards to the DANDY scenario, the big issue there is that most labs don't have the capital to buy that many scanners, nor do they want to take on the much debt. DANDY has PE backing for that, but they have little production bandwith. What dandy doesn't advertise is that they are reaching out to every lab they can to make restorations at wholesale prices for them to resell to you, the end user. Plus, they are still charging you a monthly fee, irregardless if you use the scanner or not.

As a larger lab, I offer a rebate program where a certain volume of work will get you a credit every month to pay your scanner off. This works better for us for many reasons.
Can you import the SNAP scans right into Exocad or do you have to go thru DOF first to align? Wondering if you can align the SNAP face scan with IOS instead of bench top generated scans of physical models.

Are the facial scans easier to use than the 2D pics of smile and retracted?

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
You have to align them first. No way around that.

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
I think this will be an interesting space in the near future, the newest Kois analyzer has photogrammetry reference points I believe.

Orthodontists are using simple iPhones with a combined bite fork and lip retraction mount you rubber band your phone to in order to take reference images at predetermined distances.

All of the pieces and parts are starting to fall together for an inexpensive version of all of this that is attainable by the average general dentist.

Edit: I should also update that I settled on the medit i700 IOS and T710 benchtop combo so I am now in the process of selecting the best physical articulator that works very well with the T710

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I think this will be an interesting space in the near future, the newest Kois analyzer has photogrammetry reference points I believe.

Orthodontists are using simple iPhones with a combined bite fork and lip retraction mount you rubber band your phone to in order to take reference images at predetermined distances.

All of the pieces and parts are starting to fall together for an inexpensive version of all of this that is attainable by the average general dentist.

Edit: I should also update that I settled on the medit i700 IOS and T710 benchtop combo so I am now in the process of selecting the best physical articulator that works very well with the T710
How you like or dislike the i700 compared to that Dandy trios? Also, great job on the t710, that's a beast...we love ours.