Best PC set up

L

LarryT1

Reaction score
Anyone running 3shape implant studio? I'm running a 6800k with 32gb of ram and a gtx 1070. The older versions of implant studio ran fine but now when designing a virtual crown and removing teeth from the model it runs like hammered ass (bad).

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
How does your AMD compare to the intel setup for speed ect?

for most tasks, they're similar. 9900K is barely faster in multicore performance. but for most 3shape stuff, which just runs on single core and is poorly optimized, the 9900K is a fair bit faster.

you probably want to go for a high end motherboard for the 2700X. it'll support the 3000 series much better, as some of the lower end boards can't handle the extra power required.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
for most tasks, they're similar. 9900K is barely faster in multicore performance. but for most 3shape stuff, which just runs on single core and is poorly optimized, the 9900K is a fair bit faster.

you probably want to go for a high end motherboard for the 2700X. it'll support the 3000 series much better, as some of the lower end boards can't handle the extra power required.
Thanks for that....
The ryzen is 50% cheaper and for not a great deal lossed, so will be happy to go with the 2700x
Hopefully the ryzen will perform just as well with millbox.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Just a question, for CadCam stations why arent any of you spending money on Xeon architecture?

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Just a question, for CadCam stations why arent any of you spending money on Xeon architecture?

probably because neither 3shape nor exocad recommend xeon. single core speed is rather dismal on those as well.

HygienicBee

HygienicBee

Reaction score
Great information....thanks for that.
I will keep the graphics card i think, which will allow me to throw some extra at the CPU.
Ps.
Are the quadra GPU cards better for our work than a gaming card?
Cheers

Technically yes. These cards are professional grade cards meant for highly intensive work programs, but in my opinion a gaming card will do the job well enough and save you a few thousand dollars

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Technically yes. These cards are professional grade cards meant for highly intensive work programs, but in my opinion a gaming card will do the job well enough and save you a few thousand dollars

not really. there's a reason why they're not recommended. quadro doesn't work properly for partial cad, for example.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
probably because neither 3shape nor exocad recommend xeon. single core speed is rather dismal on those as well.
really? cause Xeon are still 6 out of the top 10 high end cpu benchmark spots at passmark.com, and ryzen doesnt even enter till spot #13.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
really? cause Xeon are still 6 out of the top 10 high end cpu benchmark spots at passmark.com, and ryzen doesnt even enter till spot #13.

you don't seem to understand the difference between single core and multi core. those scores are all multi core. they're all clocked at around 3GHz. that's terrible single core speed.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
xeon E 2176 and 2186 are both in the top ten for single core work. Which is 3shape.

Edit: Of course both cost more than a i9-9900....

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
It would be cool if we were able to benchmark a nice selection of different setups using 3shape/ exocad, Millbox and other CAM software.
Single crown, scan, design and loading strategies for milling ect.
Full arch " " same same.
Formulate our own "industry" benchmarks and collate a guide for labs.
Impracticable I guess, but would be interesting!

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Something not mentioned yet which can make a computer fly is the main hard drive being a SSD. You can get a 1 gig FAST SSD for a couple hundred dollars and it really makes a huge difference. Traditional spinning hard drives are almost a thing of the past.

I have Samsung SSDs in all of my personal devices and they have been great. Check this one out:

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Something not mentioned yet which can make a computer fly is the main hard drive being a SSD. You can get a 1 gig FAST SSD for a couple hundred dollars and it really makes a huge difference. Traditional spinning hard drives are almost a thing of the past.

I have Samsung SSDs in all of my personal devices and they have been great. Check this one out:
Definitely one of the best bang for buck upgrades, besides ram i think.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score

PCIE NVMe is even faster.