Best PC set up

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Are u currently using an AMD setup?

I use 9900K with 32GB 3200MHz dual channel ram.

our other setup is Ryzen 2700X and it has no issues. well, other than the usual 3shape issues. 3shape never makes an issue of it, and they don't even check for it.

there's no reason to limit yourself to intel, considering intel's security problems and amd's new lineup is much better and cheaper.

AlexR

AlexR

Reaction score
Getting back to your question about the the GPU... we have definitely found improved performance with the quadro cards over GTX when using 3shape. And for surgical guides the quadro cards handle the dicom files much better.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

our other setup is Ryzen 2700X and it has no issues. well, other than the usual 3shape issues. 3shape never makes an issue of it, and they don't even check for it.

there's no reason to limit yourself to intel, considering intel's security problems and amd's new lineup is much better and cheaper.
The intel ring -2 insecurity issues are not limited to intel. All modern cpu architechtures have a non-user 'security" sub-processor that is open to having malware stuffed in it that you'll never find without a very very geeky bare metal assembly code friend.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
The intel ring -2 insecurity issues are not limited to intel. All modern cpu architechtures have a non-user 'security" sub-processor that is open to having malware stuffed in it that you'll never find without a very very geeky bare metal assembly code friend.

meltdown, spectre, zombieload? ever heard of those? they mostly affect intel.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
meltdown, spectre, zombieload? ever heard of those? they mostly affect intel.
Agreed, but they are not the only issues and AMD is still unknown, not verified immune.
But I've (we've) hijacked enough here. wanna continue, I'm down for that in PC Chat.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Agreed, but they are not the only issues and AMD is still unknown, not verified immune.
But I've (we've) hijacked enough here. wanna continue, I'm down for that in PC Chat.

this is actually still relevant, as the mitigation fix for intel will affect its performance. hyperthreading has to be disabled and up to 15% performance hit is expected, which is significant.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
this is actually still relevant, as the mitigation fix for intel will affect its performance. hyperthreading has to be disabled and up to 15% performance hit is expected, which is significant.
I was unaware the performance degradation was that severe. Thank you. Limited pleasure reading time stinks.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score

Thanks harmonylab
This is great to know that AMD works fine. I will not wait for the 3000 series to launch, as I'm sure the 2700x will be more than sufficient.
And I think I will be able to upgrade to 3000 series later, with a bios upgrade?

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Getting back to your question about the the GPU... we have definitely found improved performance with the quadro cards over GTX when using 3shape. And for surgical guides the quadro cards handle the dicom files much better.
Thanks Alex.
Will see how the budget goes.
Maybe we can add a quadro card down the track when we upgrade to zen 2 eventually.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score

How does your AMD compare to the intel setup for speed ect?