Best material for hard/soft nightguards

D

Davesgone

Reaction score
Question..... looking for suggestions on a splint that going to be hard occlusal and soft tissue side. Not suck down material.
Any suggestions!

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
The only items that I have come across are injecting or press packing acrylic hard nightguards and then adding a soft liner. Dentsply Eclipse is a hard flexible material that is basically light-cured. I don't know of any other materials but I'm looking forward to see if others have any thoughts.

Pat_L

Pat_L

Reaction score
We used to press pack clear acrylic with a wax spacer, then replace with Impak. Now we do the entire thing with Impak at a 3 to 1 powder to liquid ratio. The finished product ends up hard but malleable when warmed. Every doctor we’ve done one for has switched. Easy to insert, polishes nicely when cool, seems to last well. We make them a little thicker than the all acrylic ones, but they don’t seem to mind.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
We use to process them exactly as Pat mentioned above. It’s better then trying to do any 2 step method. Hard over soft in my opinion.

Impak or astron clearsplint are both good materials for this.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
What about suck down material what do you all use for bleaching trays, Nightgaurds. Thinking about offering these to our clients. Not sure if the time involved verses payback is worth it or not. Thoughts?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Talon. Then process PMMA veneer for occlusal. Persnickity material and labor intensive process. We also offer Clearsplint, which like the Impax is thermoplastic soft to harder chilled.
Personally I don't really see the value differentiation that makes a dual process like the Talon worth it.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
The previous lab I worked for used talon and man I hated it, insanely sticky stuff that always ended up stuck all over everything.

Today’s vacuum form machines and materials are so good imo we rarely do a “traditional” guard anymore. All vacuumed.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
The previous lab I worked for used talon and man I hated it, insanely sticky stuff that always ended up stuck all over everything.

Today’s vacuum form machines and materials are so good imo we rarely do a “traditional” guard anymore. All vacuumed.
I don't have any responsibility for its presence....
There's just not much to like about the process.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Question..... looking for suggestions on a splint that going to be hard occlusal and soft tissue side. Not suck down material.
Any suggestions!
Eclipse from Dentsply has two materials that go on the top of each other. Soft first, cure and then add the clear hard second and cure. Clear like glass. Very minimum adjustments.

I

illumi

Reaction score
Just a heads up the Detsply soft is not as soft as most of the monomer based flexible acrylic but it does give you some play especially when warmed.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
We use Ivocap clear injection for the hard and then use clear permasoft inside.

D

David Laville

Reaction score
We used to press pack clear acrylic with a wax spacer, then replace with Impak. Now we do the entire thing with Impak at a 3 to 1 powder to liquid ratio. The finished product ends up hard but malleable when warmed. Every doctor we’ve done one for has switched. Easy to insert, polishes nicely when cool, seems to last well. We make them a little thicker than the all acrylic ones, but they don’t seem to mind.

I made a ton of Impak splints for a lab I use to work. The doctors started noticing after a while the patients were clenching harder into the splint because they were a little softer than the hard ones. I modified them so the Impak material fit around the tooth but the occlusal surface was hard acrylic. Doctors loved them.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Whats wrong with suckdown material? The erkoloc pro is pretty tough and you can process acrylic over it.. They fit great, less work.. They dont last forever, but what does?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
This stuff is pretty cool too, thermo elastic, probably not tough enough for guards, but the soft liner would work well for the inner side. Its come in handy a few times..versacryl

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
This stuff is pretty cool too, thermo elastic, probably not tough enough for guards, but the soft liner would work well for the inner side. Its come in handy a few times..versacryl
Yup Versacryl is a very cool material for a variety of situations...I have used it on claspless flippers to engage undercuts and to add retention to an assortment of acrylic appliances

S

Steven-HDL

Reaction score
We also use erkoloc pro. Great stuff and time saver. With the variety of thicknesses, you can get it from pretty ridged to very malleable. The erkoform-3D motion gets you a consistent product versus traditional suck down machines.

M

Martinez_25

Reaction score
what baseplate wax do you use for the spacer?