Best ceramic?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I just kept my ears open listening to the ceramists I worked for, I hoped to be an awesome ceramist before I left for dentures.

Baobabtree

Baobabtree

Reaction score
Looks like ceramics may have lucked out J,and dentures gain, ever thought of going back to ceramics?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I have less than 10 practice units under my belt none in mouth. Without old boss following up correcting and finishing. As to going back to C+B... I have the desire to know how, not so much produce. I work for my brother/dad exclusively in office. Dentures are far more forgiving/fun less headache. I could see myself milling stain and glazing. Not so much building up in powders. Its amazing what yall can do with that stuff.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
So your dad have a fixed lab?
Not so sure about more forgiving and less headache . . .
LCM

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
No, I do dentures in house

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Ah, so you dad is DDS then, match made in heaven!
LCM

P

PinAn

Reaction score
But why with vita, I need to control the temperature more higher?
In the past I don't have these issues with Dental director and Noritake...and Yamamoto

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Brand control, ease of use, ect. are all considerations in the best porcelain.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Kind of like open and closed systems for milling. Manufacturers manipulate their materials to handle a certain way to be used best with their stuff. Emax presses best in an ivoclar press furnace. Not that you cant dial in another press furnace to be better than the Ivoclar furnace. Brands like to sell their stuff. You would never hear a company say use this other brands stain with our porcelain its better than ours.

Baobabtree

Baobabtree

Reaction score
But why with vita, I need to control the temperature more higher?
In the past I don't have these issues with Dental director and Noritake...and Yamamoto

All furnaces have their differences, the firing parameters from all ceramic manufacturers are guidelines for us. I do test samples and adjust my parameters no more than 5degC at a time until I find that sweet spot. Depending on the ceramic I am using then all cycles will have been adjusted either up or down from the guideline parameters.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
All furnaces have their differences, the firing parameters from all ceramic manufacturers are guidelines for us. I do test samples and adjust my parameters no more than 5degC at a time until I find that sweet spot. Depending on the ceramic I am using then all cycles will have been adjusted either up or down from the guideline parameters.
ya, even the same make/model will be slightly different.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
http://imgur.com/FPQuT9k
http://imgur.com/DqzDZPC
Damn looks better
Why I need let VITA temperature higher?
I used to don't need do this with Dental director and noritake...
Is some kind of the Hard sell with VITA oven?

Why do you need to do this with vita? - Because it is what you have to do to make their porcelain work in your oven
You didn't have to do this with dental director and noritake. - Does noritake make porcelain ovens? I don't think they do, so they want their porcelain to work in everyones oven so will give more accurate temps without gimmicks.
I do not understand your third statement. - Beyond Vita wanting to sell their ovens so they either manipulate the progams/materials or just have the thermocouple in a cooler spot regulating temps. Who knows?

P

PinAn

Reaction score
Hi guys I have try vita this week
I found the best translucent temperature at my ivoclar P310
And that temperature is 935 degrees
But I found another issue
If I set first dentine baking at 945 (because higher 10 degrees than 935) the ceramic looks like over temperature (because the shape looks fall down)
But If I set the first dentine baking with 935 and second dentine baking with 925
The enamel and window can't be translucent enough...
Any suggestions?

Thank you
And merry Christmas

Baobabtree

Baobabtree

Reaction score
Are you doing dentine firing separate to your enamel? If so, I'd recommend firing your enamels on the same 1st dentine bake cycle rather than 2nd dentine bake. 945c does sound a little high to me. With VM9, (and zirconia in general, it is a lousy conductor of heat) a slow climb to 935c of around 10-12 mins at 45c/min and a slow cool are required. Something else that I picked up from Al's restouration du jour thread is to add a little correction powder for 2nd dentine bake, maybe 10-20% to your dentines and enamels etc. It works for me.

Top Bottom