Beef with WhipMix RE: PRO100

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
This is just a public service announcement for anyone that might own a pro100 or might be thinking of buying a whipmix furnace. I called today to get some help with my pro100 that only needs software loaded to it, oven still has a decade of life in it.. yet I was told they Whipmix is no longer stocking parts, supporting, or repairing these ovens. Rather than simply reload the firmware, they want me to buy a $650 board. Only in America.

The last of these were made in 2009.. So in other words, dont expect whipmix products that you spend thousands of dollars on to be around in 7 years. The pro100 is one of the most popular, affordable ovens on the market, (Originally designed and produced by zubler) yet for the 100s or 1000s of furnaces out there, if you have a problem, you can go throw it on the trash heap because youre out of luck.

I would not recommend anyone to purchase one of their ovens with that kind of support. End rant.Argh Banghead

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Perhaps the original board was designed with no option for firmware upgrades (ROM only) ?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
No I was told that you cant upgrade via pc and cable, like other ovens. You have to send it in so they can reinstall (dont need an upgrade) They flat out wont support their product.. im noticing that happening a lot. The kicker is, they offered me a $300 credit for the pro100 if I want to buy a new pro200. LMAOBird

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
This is just a public service announcement for anyone that might own a pro100 or might be thinking of buying a whipmix furnace. I called today to get some help with my pro100 that only needs software loaded to it, oven still has a decade of life in it.. yet I was told they Whipmix is no longer stocking parts, supporting, or repairing these ovens. Rather than simply reload the firmware, they want me to buy a $650 board. Only in America.

The last of these were made in 2009.. So in other words, dont expect whipmix products that you spend thousands of dollars on to be around in 7 years. The pro100 is one of the most popular, affordable ovens on the market, (Originally designed and produced by zubler) yet for the 100s or 1000s of furnaces out there, if you have a problem, you can go throw it on the trash heap because youre out of luck.

I would not recommend anyone to purchase one of their ovens with that kind of support. End rant.Argh Banghead

Whip Mix bought Intra-Tech. Intra-tech was a manufacturer based in Texas. They sold under the Intra-tech name for a few years following the purchase and then transitioned to the Whip Mix name.

I believe you are mistaken that Zubler designed and produced that furnace. But you might want to talk to Chris at Zubler, he was formally part of that crew at Intra-Tech/Whip Mix and he might be able to help.

Also, Garland knows those furnaces very well.

Whip Mix is a solid company, as much as I can't stand the family they are pretty customer oriented. It could be a case of nobody is left that knows how to load the software on the boards. They cleaned house some time back.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Emailed Garland, thanks.

Vurban, Chris is who I talked to about these ovens, he literally wrote the book on them, unfortunately he probably has no resources to help fix it now, and I wouldnt expect him to. Older units than these are still popular in europe. Im not saying that zubler made the whip mix branded pro press, but they developed it, and WM changed the name, just like many companies are doing with mills.

Whip mix may be a solid company, but if you dont support a product that has not yet reached the end of its intended lifespan, then that is TERRIBLE customer service. These ovens arent rocket science, this is a basic customer service and product support problem. I was told they stopped any support on these ovens. What happened to standing behind your product? We are expected to shell out money for new equipment every 7 years?
This simply shows no commitment to their product. Not to mention, why would I drop another $650 to fix an oven that I wont be able to get parts for in the future?

s-l225.jpg

zubler vario press^

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
Have you guys tried Ibex?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I mean it does have a bio on the Ibex website, its not a secret.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Dude, really? Whoaw, mind adjusted. I knew Garland was a great bunch when I'd needed pieces to get fixity with it, but that is nifty to know.

Do they admit that proudly, or whisper it to select chosen ones?

Yea, I know Garland has helped a lot of people with equipment that you can't typically find parts for in the normal places.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Emailed Garland, thanks.

Vurban, Chris is who I talked to about these ovens, he literally wrote the book on them, unfortunately he probably has no resources to help fix it now, and I wouldnt expect him to. Older units than these are still popular in europe. Im not saying that zubler made the whip mix branded pro press, but they developed it, and WM changed the name, just like many companies are doing with mills.

Whip mix may be a solid company, but if you dont support a product that has not yet reached the end of its intended lifespan, then that is TERRIBLE customer service. These ovens arent rocket science, this is a basic customer service and product support problem. I was told they stopped any support on these ovens. What happened to standing behind your product? We are expected to shell out money for new equipment every 7 years?
This simply shows no commitment to their product. Not to mention, why would I drop another $650 to fix an oven that I wont be able to get parts for in the future?

s-l225.jpg

zubler vario press^

You've got some pieces to the puzzle but not quite in the right places. Just sayin'.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I have a pro100, 8 years old or so and goes strong. My 3 year old EP5000 however just S%iT the bed on Monday.. It looks like the muffle went out with only 3k firing hours on it. My pro 100 has triple the muffle hours and has no issues, go figure..

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I have a pro100, 8 years old or so and goes strong. My 3 year old EP5000 however just S%iT the bed on Monday.. It looks like the muffle went out with only 3k firing hours on it. My pro 100 has triple the muffle hours and has no issues, go figure..
My EP 600 went out three months ago . I replaced the muffle ,that didn't do it :(. So the next step was a mother board & that was about a $1000 ,it was fairly easy to switch out though. I had about twelve years on the furnace so I didn't really mind spending the money . Anyway it's like new again now .

Last edited:
desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
My EP 5000 went out three months ago . I replaced the muffle ,that didn't do it :(. So the next step was a mother board & that was about a $1000 ,it was fairly easy to switch out though. I had about twelve years on the furnace so I didn't really mind spending the money . Anyway it's like new again now .

Glad you got it fixed.. I don't have any expectation that a 12 year old oven wont need repairs.. however, a 3 year old oven with low hours? That's disappointing and sure gives Ivoclar's Cadillac press a bad name.

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
We have 3 Whipmix ovens over here. 2 propress 100 (one old one that's brown like the pic above) and a new pro200. All solid, and all original. I put all my emax in the pro200.. works great!

We buy from Neil at http://www.nordenta.net/

maybe give him a call and see if he can help you out with a contact.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I may not have a huge issue IF someone else can load the firmware back on the oven. BUT, whipmix didnt give me any references for companies that would service them... It would make sense to me that a large company would find a 3rd party to handle this for them, heck even get a kickback of the repair fees, rather than just abandon a whole fleet of ovens that are 7 years old.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
So garland just wrote back, they can service it! Why the maker of the furnace wouldnt let me know that? Dontknow

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
So garland just wrote back, they can service it! Why the maker of the furnace wouldnt let me know that? Dontknow

Awesome, glad that Garland might be able to get you fixed up.

As for why Whip Mix did not tell you to call them - could be the person did not know or it could be a liability issue. Very litigious world these days.